Golfers Thread

Gaz

Played yesterday and shot 4 over so very pleased with that, the guys in front of us were a bit slow, the old waiting for the group in front to get 250 yards away then topping their drive. 

I’ve not see much of an increase in the pace of play round our place, think we were 3 and a half hours yesterday 

Really rather enjoying the new regime. Our course is fairly well undersubscribed but it’s 9 holes only for 2-balls and 15min booked tee times. 

Turn up with shoes on, start at 4th (avoids congestion at the clubhouse), 90mins round, off, home. 

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Really rather enjoying the new regime. Our course is fairly well undersubscribed but it’s 9 holes only for 2-balls and 15min booked tee times. 

Turn up with shoes on, start at 4th (avoids congestion at the clubhouse), 90mins round, off, home. 

What club do you play at Pete?

Played yesterday and shot 4 over so very pleased with that, the guys in front of us were a bit slow, the old waiting for the group in front to get 250 yards away then topping their drive. 

I’ve not see much of an increase in the pace of play round our place, think we were 3 and a half hours yesterday 
I was just a touch over 3 hours again this morning, and that was with the odd wait due to the group 2 in front of us being a bit slow.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
7 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I was just a touch over 3 hours again this morning, and that was with the odd wait due to the group 2 in front of us being a bit slow.

Breezed round our Kier Course in 2hrs 35mins this morning. Out in 43, back in 41. Not setting the heather on fire, but not playing like an utter diddy. 😀

Went round with a mate in 2 and a half hours last week, weather not great and no one in front of us.  Brilliant. Introduction of three balls again has slowed it down. 11 over and 10 over so far. 
I find it comical how much people buy new clubs etc. Have one mate in particular who’s always got a new club he’s talking about. Had my irons ten years, bog standard Wilson ones and it hasn’t stopped me shooting 4/5 over multiple times and if I were to use some fancy irons it would make squat difference. My driver/woods and putter are a bit more expensive but all second hand. I get if your handicap is maybe below 5 or something but except that you are wasting your money replacing clubs often.
I also think if you aren’t brilliant just having cavity irons you can reliably hit is a wise move. 

Went round with a mate in 2 and a half hours last week, weather not great and no one in front of us.  Brilliant. Introduction of three balls again has slowed it down. 11 over and 10 over so far. 
I find it comical how much people buy new clubs etc. Have one mate in particular who’s always got a new club he’s talking about. Had my irons ten years, bog standard Wilson ones and it hasn’t stopped me shooting 4/5 over multiple times and if I were to use some fancy irons it would make squat difference. My driver/woods and putter are a bit more expensive but all second hand. I get if your handicap is maybe below 5 or something but except that you are wasting your money replacing clubs often.
I also think if you aren’t brilliant just having cavity irons you can reliably hit is a wise move. 
I had the same clubs for over 10 years, but my Dad passed away a couple of years ago and left us a bit of cash, so I upgraded everything except my driver. I'm 50 next January and that will be my birthday treat to myself.

A former workmate could have 2 or 3 new drivers every year. The staff at American Golf in Irvine must have been falling over themselves to serve him whenever he came in.

On 06/06/2020 at 00:01, lichtie23 said:

Was left disappointed with the Tiger documentary tonight. Expected a bit more of a deep dive into his troubles. Was good to relive some of the greatness he showed though and to see Butch back on my telly screen. Will be interested to see what others thoughts were on it.

On 06/06/2020 at 15:44, Distant Doonhamer said:

Just watched it. Really enjoyed it. As I thought it would be there were references to his “issues” but no depth to that part. Great viewing from a sporting perspective.

I've just finished watching it. I really enjoyed it as well. A career full of incredible moments.

Opportunistic plug, I spoke about his 2000 US Open performance on my new podcast (we also chatted about SPFL reconstruction on the show too). If anyone fancies giving it a listen, it's on Spotify 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/40dv2D331wy0uNK012kUYK?si=0Dk6HKYLQjeWXfNu320iCw

Thoughts and feedback always appreciated.

Played 18 this evening. Long game is coming right back and starting to hit some nice shots. 

Somewhat surprising though, after 2 months with nothing but a putting mat for golf, my putting was a disgrace. Definitely need to get back on the practice green when that's allowed again. My stroke feels ok but clearly nothing like putting on an actual green feel-wise.

2hr 50 round to contribute to the round time chat.  Felt like things were moving at a good pace this evening but was all 2 balls so was as it should be really.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

I had the same clubs for over 10 years, but my Dad passed away a couple of years ago and left us a bit of cash, so I upgraded everything except my driver. I'm 50 next January and that will be my birthday treat to myself.

A former workmate could have 2 or 3 new drivers every year. The staff at American Golf in Irvine must have been falling over themselves to serve him whenever he came in.

Good for you, that use of the cash made me smile. Absolutely right to treat yourself in that manner. 

People like your work mate just daft, I have a similarly minded pal. 

Does anyone play with mates who are just so warped by watching pros that it hinders their game. Trying to belt drivers instead of taking an iron off the tee, mocking for using a putter off the green, maxing out a wedge and playing it outrageously high rather than knocking down an iron etc? I think the biggest help to my game was accepting I didn't care how it looked to get a good score on the card.

14 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

Does anyone play with mates who are just so warped by watching pros that it hinders their game. Trying to belt drivers instead of taking an iron off the tee, mocking for using a putter off the green, maxing out a wedge and playing it outrageously high rather than knocking down an iron etc? I think the biggest help to my game was accepting I didn't care how it looked to get a good score on the card.

I used to take the piss out of one of my mates for his use of the hybrid around the greens.

It has subsequently become one of the best shots in my locker.

19 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

Not so much now, but when i was in the juniors this was commonplace. My hero for a while was John Daly, i tried to copy his swing and even got a Killer Whale driver in the early 90s. I had some reasonable success when developing a tactically moronic policy of smashing the driver as hard and as far as i could for a few seasons, getting down from 12 to 5 (mainly because i i practiced the short game loads and could generally get myself out of bother). I then got a job and a membership at Letham Grange where such idiocy generally results in scores in the 90s. I'm lucky if i'll use the driver twice a round these days. 

We would also try nonsense like Mickelson's parachute shot when there was absolutely no need for it, eg from 30 yards away with loads of green and no hazards at all in the way.  My favourite though was my pal who saw a tour player chip in from one of those awkward up-against-the-fringe lies with a 3 wood. Needless to say his own attempts ended in utter disaster, including a double hit and pinging one through the green into a bunker off the other side. 

9 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

An ex-work colleague of mine was a 3 handicap player. Played to that standard most times I played with him too. The times he played to that standard were the times he hit his 3 wood off the tee and kept his driver in the bag. He could hit that 3 wood longer and straighter than I’ve seen other low guys hit drivers. However, rather than throw his driver into the River Clyde, tied down with a brick, it was a £499 Callaway Big Bertha Super Zoom GTI Twin Turbo Whizzbang Super-Duper Thingumyjig... ego dictated he must use it, and while he could hit it fifteen yards longer than his three wood - it was about forty yards wider. Into whatever shite lay forty yards left or right of the fairway. Booming drive, yes, but booming into shite or out of bounds. He wouldn’t stop trying though.

I think my comment to him of ‘you want to bin that fcuking thing and just hit your 3 wood’ was on the money.

Edited by pozbaird