Golfers Thread

Gaz

Should have been away today for our 22nd annual golf trip. Due to play Ballater today and Aboyne tomorrow with another round at Ballater on Friday. Always a great trip with many beers, some good wine and nice food to be enjoyed. Given what many folk are going through currently I’m reluctant to complain too loudly but have to say I’m scunnered nonetheless.

On 18/05/2020 at 16:42, Mark Connolly said:

As frustrating as it is, hopefully it will ensure clubs have consistent plans in place.

Would not like to be answering the phones at the clubs who still refuse to do online bookings!

Our club has had plans in place for weeks. Their correspondence with the membership has been first class, but with each e-mail we receive, they are increasingly frustrated at the situation. I can see Dullatur GC from my house, although I am not a member there. I know many of my neighbours spend two hours plus, walking Dullatur GC with their dog on a lead. They can do that as many times per’ day as they want. However, a Dullatur GC member cannot walk on their course for two hours plus - while hitting a small white ball, rather than walk a dog. Absolutely fucking ridiculous now.

We got an email last night looking for volunteers to help tidy up and bunker weeding so looks like its close to being back, on a side note I found my balls I ended up playing littlehill today place was mobbed greens were a bit rough but fairways were in great shape, playing felt like I'd never swung a club before I was all over the place and I'm absolutely exhausted, it's going to take some time to get back in the swing of things pun intended [emoji3]

50 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

If it’s going to be members only golf for a while, I may have to find the cheapest golf club membership in Edinburgh and join for half the year.

Golf clubs were already doing deals on full memberships before anyone had heard of bloody Covid19, but for many, it was still too expensive - given the fact folk only play a few times a month, if even that, or just want to use those online cheap websites to play a course once. However, once they are allowed to open for play*, there’s actually an opportunity for golf clubs here, to offer truly affordable short term memberships, with a discount at the end of the summer to anyone wishing to remain a member. Even if folk join a club for this year and chuck it, no matter. Hopefully clubs are thinking about advertising and offering short term memberships to casual or lapsed golfers.

* as they already are in England, Ireland, Wales.... 

Edited by pozbaird

On 20/05/2020 at 15:50, Distant Doonhamer said:

Should have been away today for our 22nd annual golf trip. Due to play Ballater today and Aboyne tomorrow with another round at Ballater on Friday. Always a great trip with many beers, some good wine and nice food to be enjoyed. Given what many folk are going through currently I’m reluctant to complain too loudly but have to say I’m scunnered nonetheless.

I haven't played Aboyne for years, I used regularly when my brother in law was the pro there. Great wee course which bizarrely starts and finishes with two lengthy par 3s. I think i only ever played Ballater in the North East Alliance or in Opens, a lovely-looking course which some weird reason I just never actually enjoyed playing, most likely because my scoring was shite 😂

Can see the 5 mile radius thing causing a bit of an issue. I live outside that so I still won't be playing for a while, but there will be others who will be ignoring it, complaining about it, asking for refunds or all of the above.

I'm 6 miles from my golf club. Close enough [emoji23]

5.42 miles. Not a chance I'm missing playing for 0.4 miles.

First minister quoted on BBC saying 5 miles is a guide not a strict limit.

50 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

First minister quoted on BBC saying 5 miles is a guide not a strict limit.

Cheers, literally spent time this morning finding the closest point of my flat and the nearest point of the course on google maps to try and get it under 5 miles 🤣

1 hour ago, Mr Hahn said:

Cheers, literally spent time this morning finding the closest point of my flat and the nearest point of the course on google maps to try and get it under 5 miles 🤣

Even if I was within 5 miles, I suspect I'd have only been one wild drive off being outside that radius again!

17 hours ago, peasy23 said:

A parting of the ways for Justin Rose and Honma. Won his first tournament after switching, but has been very inconsistent since.IMG_20200522_231910.thumb.jpg.91987c78298af12f0114aa8831005c26.jpg

The partnership has undoubtedly raised the profile of Honma is the western market but there's been rumblings for months that it wasn't going to last.

Wonder where he'll go next. Could do without another top star being plastered with Nike imo. Maybe Mizuno. Keeps the Japanese theme and they could do with a major tour pro since Luke Donald has been out of the top circle for a few years now.

Edit to add: Received confirmation through today that our club will indeed be reopening on the 29th May. The moment we've all been waiting for is almost here lads!

Edited by Mr Hahn