Golfers Thread

Gaz

4 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:
Seems golfers are putting their case forward in their numbers on the Scottish Government's consultation hub:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52560002
Doubt it means much but would be good to have golf as part of the conversation if the Government is considering allowing more outside exercise.

It's maddening that our course has been inundated with walkers, cyclists and even family picnics, but we aren't to be trusted to follow social distancing if you dare to pick up a golf club. Nobody is expecting locker rooms or bars to be open immediately, but with sensible precautions people could be playing non competitive golf. One of our members spotted this on the BBC website today, the banks of the streams on the course can be quite soft in places, no doubt the fuckers would be trying to sue us if their little angel gets hurt.

96717987_2952520404824790_3234036564875018240_n.jpg

Edited by peasy23

"There are 390 golf clubs in New Zealand which places the country second in the world for the number of course per capita for the population of 4 million so getting on the tee is never a problem. Only Scotland with 543 courses for 5 million people has more golf courses per capita."  

I've been resident here in New Zealand 8 years (now retired) and have just bought a motorhome and persuaded my partner to take a year off her work. 

So we should start in July with the aim of doing as many different courses as we can in a year.  

Can't wait to get started.  🤩

"There are 390 golf clubs in New Zealand which places the country second in the world for the number of course per capita for the population of 4 million so getting on the tee is never a problem. Only Scotland with 543 courses for 5 million people has more golf courses per capita."  
I've been resident here in New Zealand 8 years (now retired) and have just bought a motorhome and persuaded my partner to take a year off her work. 
So we should start in July with the aim of doing as many different courses as we can in a year.  
Can't wait to get started.  [emoji2956]
You should start a blog of some type, i would love to see some of the courses you play and your options of them too

Now while fully accepting there are many more things to worry about than golf it seems bizarre that courses in England can open on Wednesday for play within family groups but can’t open in Scotland, Wales and N Ireland.

https://www.randa.org/News/2020/05/UK-Golf-and-the-Coronavirus-Group-statement

Now while fully accepting there are many more things to worry about than golf it seems bizarre that courses in England can open on Wednesday for play within family groups but can’t open in Scotland, Wales and N Ireland.

https://www.randa.org/News/2020/05/UK-Golf-and-the-Coronavirus-Group-statement

Oswestry golf club is apparently half in Wales, half in England. How does that work?

James Corrigan the golf writer expects Wales to start copying England by the weekend.

15 hours ago, cas79 said:
22 hours ago, expatowner said:
Can't wait to get started.  emoji2956.png

You should start a blog of some type, i would love to see some of the courses you play and your options of them too

I've been thinking about doing something like a blog.  I'm so darn lazy that Facebook will probably be where I chuck stuff.

On 08/05/2020 at 15:09, peasy23 said:

It's maddening that our course has been inundated with walkers, cyclists and even family picnics, but we aren't to be trusted to follow social distancing if you dare to pick up a golf club. Nobody is expecting locker rooms or bars to be open immediately, but with sensible precautions people could be playing non competitive golf. One of our members spotted this on the BBC website today, the banks of the streams on the course can be quite soft in places, no doubt the fuckers would be trying to sue us if their little angel gets hurt.

96717987_2952520404824790_3234036564875018240_n.jpg

On this point, I'm one step away from losing my rag over this. My Facebook is full of folk posting videos and pictures of going for family walks, walking dugs etc on golf courses but woe betide you if you have some golf clubs with you.

Golf can't come back soon enough!

Iv had enough, I'm going to play littlehill tomorrow Been seeing people all over the courses when I drive by, parks full of people, shops full ect ect and I'm sticking to this lockdown thing while loads of people are out, my thinking is I'm a single guy, no kids, no contact with anyone and can self isolate with no fear of spreading if Iv had/have it, im extremely paranoid about going up tho

21 hours ago, peasy23 said:

The cynic in me would say that South Lanarkshire Council have taken this as an opportunity to let the courses get into such a state that they are no longer financially viable.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/fears-south-lanarkshire-courses-could-close-within-weeks

Jeezo, that's depressing news. My dad was a member at Hollandbush while on the waiting list for his current course, played there and Langlands a fair bit is a junior. Difficult to see a way forward there, if the greens have been literally left since mid March and they're hardly going to be ready for when we're allowed to play again. I don't see how these courses can survive.

On a light note I did chuckle a bit at the pro saying "truth be told, Torrance House is one of the best golf courses in Scotland." Emotions clearly running high and it's a good muni but that's an outrageous statement from an actual touring pro.

Edited by Mr Hahn

Jeezo, that's depressing news. My dad was a member at Hollandbush while on the waiting list for his current course, played there and Langlands a fair bit is a junior. Difficult to see a way forward there, if the greens have been literally left since mid March and they're hardly going to be ready for when we're allowed to play again. I don't see how these courses can survive.

On a light note I did chuckle a bit at the pro saying "truth be told, Torrance House is one of the best golf courses in Scotland." Emotions clearly running high and it's a good muni but that's an outrageous statement from an actual touring pro.

When the old Petershill club used to have it's golf outings, Hollandbush was one of the regular venues. Good course, not too long on the bus, and not too taxing to play twice the same day. Was always in good nick back then.

I've plugged the McKellar Golf podcast in here before, but the latest one is a 90 minute chat with Rory McIlroy and is a superb listen. Talks about everything from his amateur days to the present, and even finds time to give Trump a bit of stick.

Live golf on Sunday as we have Rory and Dustin Johnson taking on Rickie Fowler and Matthew Wolfe in a $4m skins game in aid of Covid-19 charities. No caddies and the players will carry their own bags. Fully expecting DJ to rock up with driver, putter and half a dozen assorted wedges. Most interesting thing though will be the course, Seminole always gets a mention as one of the best, but this will be the first time it has been seen on TV ahead of it hosting next year's Walker Cup.

Typical officiousness from the official in charge of the flag being out there in shirt and tie.

Might pass out due to the heat.....which could be a laugh

They all look really sloppy so far. Wolff having a shocker on 3