Golfers Thread

Gaz

Seen a few articles that the current crisis could spell the end for the European Tour in it's current form. Chief Exec Keith Pelley has warned players to expect much reduced prize funds when they return, and that accepted luxuries like courtesy cars and player's lounges might have to go to save money. A merger with (effectively a takeover by) the PGA Tour might not be far away.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/european-tour-will-look-radically-different-when-golf-resumes

Seen a few articles that the current crisis could spell the end for the European Tour in it's current form. Chief Exec Keith Pelley has warned players to expect much reduced prize funds when they return, and that accepted luxuries like courtesy cars and player's lounges might have to go to save money. A merger with (effectively a takeover by) the PGA Tour might not be far away.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/european-tour-will-look-radically-different-when-golf-resumes

Inevitable I guess. Pity.

I've got about an hour and a half left to watch of the final day of the 2019 Masters. After that I think that's me burned through them all.

Although Reed's a c**t, the final day of the 2018 Masters was excellent viewing and Spieth's performance that day was something else.

5 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Anyone want to hazard a guess when we’ll be back on the courses? Had a wee walk through some of my course at weekend and it’s looking wonderful. Worst thing I could have done as now I’m itching for a round!

You'd think it would be in the first round of relaxing the rules, apart from opening the club bar. 

27 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Anyone want to hazard a guess when we’ll be back on the courses? Had a wee walk through some of my course at weekend and it’s looking wonderful. Worst thing I could have done as now I’m itching for a round!

I walked up by mine on Saturday and it is also looking fantastic.  I'm going to take the kids up and have a walk round this week.

Im purposely staying away from mine iv had a few glances when I drive by and it is looking good guys out working ect cant wait, I'll be one of the first there

I received a rather dire email from our club today basically saying our financial recovery has been completely fucked  a combination of the lockdown and the oil situation. I suspected this email was coming but always hoped it wasn't.

The financial modelling they've done assumes the club will remain closed until the end of July, hopefully  that's pessimistic. The club have been very open with the membership and the finances don't look good. 

Cutting a long story short, they're basically asking the members to stump up the cash to save the club. Depending on the category of membership, members are being asked to pay various amounts as a levy. For me it's £50 now and another £50 later in the year with that second payment up for discussion nearer the time depending if it's needed or not. £50 isn't such a big deal for me as I'm fortunately still able to work and haven't had any salary reduction, but I'd imagine that levy might be a tough one for a few people to take especially as we've not seen a whole lot of golf for our membership subscription as it is.

I received a rather dire email from our club today basically saying our financial recovery has been completely fucked  a combination of the lockdown and the oil situation. I suspected this email was coming but always hoped it wasn't. The financial modelling they've done assumes the club will remain closed until the end of July, hopefully  that's pessimistic. The club have been very open with the membership and the finances don't look good. 

Cutting a long story short, they're basically asking the members to stump up the cash to save the club. Depending on the category of membership, members are being asked to pay various amounts as a levy. For me it's £50 now and another £50 later in the year with that second payment up for discussion nearer the time depending if it's needed or not. £50 isn't such a big deal for me as I'm fortunately still able to work and haven't had any salary reduction, but I'd imagine that levy might be a tough one for a few people to take especially as we've not seen a whole lot of golf for our membership subscription as it is.

Not good to hear. The trouble for all clubs will be that we might be given the go ahead to get out on the course, but with the clubhouse still having to remain closed. We lost a load of revenue last August and September with a few Saturdays and Sundays lost to the weather, there will be a huge hole in finances to plug for every club this year. 

On 20/04/2020 at 23:22, Mr Hahn said:

I received a rather dire email from our club today basically saying our financial recovery has been completely fucked  a combination of the lockdown and the oil situation. I suspected this email was coming but always hoped it wasn't.

The financial modelling they've done assumes the club will remain closed until the end of July, hopefully  that's pessimistic. The club have been very open with the membership and the finances don't look good. 

Poor, but won;t be the last. Is this Newmacher? 

22 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

Poor, but won;t be the last. Is this Newmacher? 

Yeh that's right. It's a real shame because the financial plight of the club has been in the local media for some time but the new chairman has been really open with the members and it sounded like he knew was he was doing and that the club had a good plan to get back to a sustainable footing. The virus has put a fairly large spanner in the works of that.

Realise the virus has been a big dent for almost all golf clubs, just so happens that the finances at Newmachar were dire before the virus and this request for help for members was pretty inevitable once the lockdown kicked in.

9 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

Yeh that's right. It's a real shame because the financial plight of the club has been in the local media for some time but the new chairman has been really open with the members and it sounded like he knew was he was doing and that the club had a good plan to get back to a sustainable footing. The virus has put a fairly large spanner in the works of that.

Realise the virus has been a big dent for almost all golf clubs, just so happens that the finances at Newmachar were dire before the virus and this request for help for members was pretty inevitable once the lockdown kicked in.

Thought it would be, was chatting to a couple of mates yesterday who'd had through the call for extra funding. It's becoming self-perpetuating now, they're rpobably not rejoining next year and they've been members 20+ years.

I'd agree from everything I've read and heard from members, you seemed to clean house well once you'd got rid of the arrogant arse who was previous Chair. Will be a terrible loss for the north-east if you don't survive. 

On 27/04/2020 at 11:04, fatshaft said:

Thought it would be, was chatting to a couple of mates yesterday who'd had through the call for extra funding. It's becoming self-perpetuating now, they're rpobably not rejoining next year and they've been members 20+ years.

I'd agree from everything I've read and heard from members, you seemed to clean house well once you'd got rid of the arrogant arse who was previous Chair. Will be a terrible loss for the north-east if you don't survive. 

Yeh I'm not surprised to hear that, I was actually contacting other clubs myself at the start of the year to see what membership prices would be elsewhere. Decided to stick to Newmachar for this year because for what I pay, it's remarkably good value. Therein kind of lies the problem.

Newmachar essentially has a similar membership as the course I grew up playing in Lanarkshire but with the upkeep of 2 courses. Obviously the corporate side is much bigger given its location than it ever would be at my old course but I just wonder what the membership and corporate projections they did at the time were to show that 2 courses were viable in that location.

Would indeed be a big loss. Everyone knows the amazing links courses up here but to also have a real quality inland course really adds to golf in the area. From my own personal position, I'm thinking I might become a nomadic golfer for next season. Was thinking about it anyway and would be nice to have the money I would have spent on membership free to explore some of the other terrific courses we have in the NE.

21 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

Yeh I'm not surprised to hear that, I was actually contacting other clubs myself at the start of the year to see what membership prices would be elsewhere. Decided to stick to Newmachar for this year because for what I pay, it's remarkably good value. Therein kind of lies the problem.

Newmachar essentially has a similar membership as the course I grew up playing in Lanarkshire but with the upkeep of 2 courses. Obviously the corporate side is much bigger given its location than it ever would be at my old course but I just wonder what the membership and corporate projections they did at the time were to show that 2 courses were viable in that location.

Would indeed be a big loss. Everyone knows the amazing links courses up here but to also have a real quality inland course really adds to golf in the area. From my own personal position, I'm thinking I might become a nomadic golfer for next season. Was thinking about it anyway and would be nice to have the money I would have spent on membership free to explore some of the other terrific courses we have in the NE.

They were the same, looking elsewhere, decided to give it one more year.

Not sure how long you've been up here, but Newmacher - after a shaky start - boomed, they needed a second course, and it's done so well, they just brought in the wrong general manager, seemed to be an ego thing, get someone from south of england from a "big" course. From what I know (and I know quite a bit of the insides as well from someone else) he hadn't a clue about the north-east, or indeed how golf in Scotland differs considerably from golf in England, and therein began the problem that very quickly escalated to the mess he left behind. 

I've been saying for a number of years that one or two courses in the NE are going to have to fail to keep the rest afloat, we're all battling for a smaller and smaller market, the latest oil crash will probably do it :(

As for "nomading", that's kinda what my pals were going to do, Hazelhead membership with/without a season ticket, then play a lot of Opens. 

5 hours ago, fatshaft said:

They were the same, looking elsewhere, decided to give it one more year.

Not sure how long you've been up here, but Newmacher - after a shaky start - boomed, they needed a second course, and it's done so well, they just brought in the wrong general manager, seemed to be an ego thing, get someone from south of england from a "big" course. From what I know (and I know quite a bit of the insides as well from someone else) he hadn't a clue about the north-east, or indeed how golf in Scotland differs considerably from golf in England, and therein began the problem that very quickly escalated to the mess he left behind. 

I've been saying for a number of years that one or two courses in the NE are going to have to fail to keep the rest afloat, we're all battling for a smaller and smaller market, the latest oil crash will probably do it :(

As for "nomading", that's kinda what my pals were going to do, Hazelhead membership with/without a season ticket, then play a lot of Opens. 

That's really interesting, didn't know that. I've been in Aberdeen for nearly 6 years now but only really got back to playing golf that last 2 so wasn't aware of the club's beginnings. I do think I know of the guy I think you're talking about though so I went back onto the club's youtube. Realised they've removed all the videos where he was in them so I'm thinking I know the guy you're referring to.

I think you're unfortunately right on that. It's quite remarkable the choice you have when looking to play in this area. 

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Luke Donald named as a Ryder Cup VC. They pretty much had to after Harrington fucked it up in an interview and gave his name away. emoji23.png

As good a choice as any, plenty of Ryder Cup experience.

I just don't see how the event is going to take place this year. Would be delighted to be proved wrong obviously but there's so many fans attend and there's no way it's taking place without fans.