Golfers Thread

Gaz

Well, this weather's getting on my tits. I'm not back at school for seven weeks and can't get out at all, too wet :-(

Was sitting watching the tennis match today around 4:30. I then receive a phone call from a mate of mine informing me that Greenock were a man short for the team game that was taking place that evening. I quickly stepped in a agreed to partake in my first team game against Rolston.

I was playing a lad who was off 15, two below me. It was a fairly even match with both of us winning and losing holes and so, we stepped onto the 18th hole level. It was his honour and he ripped a drive down the middle of the fairway. I responded by sending my ball straight into the tree's on the right. After a good five minutes of looking, I found my ball stuck down in some horrible muck. I couldn't possibly go for the green so I just punched back out onto the fairway.

160 yards left to the centre of the green so I took a 7 iron, knowing the pressure was on me to make my 4. I hit and absolute cracker into 10 feet. My opponent went left and left himself with a difficult up-and-down. He ended up tapping in for a bogey 5 which is a respectable score on that hole but I sunk my par put to win 1 up.

Absolutely buzzing. smile.gif

Was sitting watching the tennis match today around 4:30. I then receive a phone call from a mate of mine informing me that Greenock were a man short for the team game that was taking place that evening. I quickly stepped in a agreed to partake in my first team game against Rolston.

I was playing a lad who was off 15, two below me. It was a fairly even match with both of us winning and losing holes and so, we stepped onto the 18th hole level. It was his honour and he ripped a drive down the middle of the fairway. I responded by sending my ball straight into the tree's on the right. After a good five minutes of looking, I found my ball stuck down in some horrible muck. I couldn't possibly go for the green so I just punched back out onto the fairway.

160 yards left to the centre of the green so I took a 7 iron, knowing the pressure was on me to make my 4. I hit and absolute cracker into 10 feet. My opponent went left and left himself with a difficult up-and-down. He ended up tapping in for a bogey 5 which is a respectable score on that hole but I sunk my par put to win 1 up.

Can't greenie you cos i'm on my phone, but +1! :)

Was that your first experience of junior team games mate?

Enjoyed them bigtime myself back in the day... Was involved in a few epic games and only lost 3 or 4 matches over the couple of years i was involved as I generally played 5 or 6.

Most memorable (unfortunately!) was the game the day after Morton won the 3rd division. Went out for title party in Gourock and ended up (absolutely smashed obviously) grabbing a taxi to Glasgow with Eddie Annand & Alex Williams. Woke up in some strange house in Glasgow and managed to get the train down the road just in time for my mum to pick me up at the station with my golf gear.

We were playing Whinhill and I was meant to be out at no.4. After much debate the convenor agreed to send me out at reserve which is doubles in that competition.

I could barely stand and managed to fall off the first tee which was a bit embarrassing.

End result myself (playing off 11) and my partner (playing off 12) found ourselves 5 down after 9, playing off scratch against two 28 handicappers and we walked in after 10 as I could no longer see the ball infront of me.

*sigh*... Good times!

Edited by Cowshed Chris

Was that your first experience of junior team games mate?

Enjoyed them bigtime myself back in the day... Was involved in a few epic games and only lost 3 or 4 matches over the couple of years i was involved as I generally played 5 or 6.

Most memorable (unfortunately!) was the game the day after Morton won the 3rd division. Went out for title party in Gourock and ended up (absolutely smashed obviously) grabbing a taxi to Glasgow with Eddie Annand & Alex Williams. Woke up in some strange house in Glasgow and managed to get the train down the road just in time for my mum to pick me up at the station with my golf gear.

We were playing Whinhill and I was meant to be out at no.4. After much debate the convenor agreed to send me out at reserve which is doubles in that competition.

I could barely stand and managed to fall off the first tee which was a bit embarrassing.

End result myself (playing off 11) and my partner (playing off 12) found ourselves 5 down after 9, playing off scratch against two 28 handicappers and we walked in after 10 as I could no longer see the ball infront of me.

*sigh*... Good times!

It was mate - was quite nervous standing on the first tee but after that, I just played my game with no nerves at all.

Guest honestrae95

Been quiet on the Golf forum the last wee while, but i'm down to 11 after winning a medal last weekend and i've been playing quite well. I think it's all down to the new Yes putter i've been using. If you're struggling on the greens i urge you to get down to your local pro shop and try out some differant putters. You'd be amazed how much it can help!:D

Assume the medal was rained off at my club as well today. Went up at 4.30 to pick up a couple of clubs for a hit at the range to find the car park deserted and the locker room locked!

Hope the weather picks up a bit this week...

The west of Scotland doesn't seem to be getting anywhere near as much rain as the rest of the country. On a par 64, I managed to battle round in a 62 net so I should be able to get a cut by around 0.4.

Of to play 'The Carrick' tomorrow which should be good depending on how the course is holding up.. unsure.gif

Enjoyed reading forzamortons story about his junior games. Brought back some great memories for me also.

I played for Dalmilling Golf Club (or Royal Dalmilling as I like to call it) against some of the more prestegious clubs (Barassie, West Kilbride etc) over the years and we would beat them regularly. Due to the strength of our team I was always a reserve & anytime I played I seemed to always get beat. I remember one particular occasion I was off 12 and the lad I was playing was off 2. I expected him to be terrific & I really thought I was going to get humped, again! Anyway we get to the 7th hole at Dalmilling and I'm 4 up. To say I had my willy hanging out my trousers skipping down the fairway is an understatement. I felt like the most powerful 15 year old alive. I remember thinking ''this lad is off 2 and he's pish''. He was leaving everything short of the green, missing 2 footers, everything was going my way. I eneded up winning the match on the 14th and we, for sportsmans sake, decided to play the full 18. He couldn't believe how poorly he'd played & even managed to praise my home course (which if you know much about golf in this area, Dalmilling isn't highly reguarded). Anyway we walk into the clubhouse for the after match meal and everyone was standing up to applaud my efforts. Great memories.

The rest of the games were pretty forgettable haha.

Went out for a quick round after the Andy Murray game. Started appallingly with a 6-5-6-6-7. But from the sixth onwards I started striking the ball a helluva lot better, and didn't hit anything worse than a five until I got to the 16th. Had I not four putted on the 16th and three putted on the 17th I'd have been under 90 for the first time at my club. As it was I hit 90 exactly. Not bad, and I definitely struck the ball better as the round went on - particularly on the 18th where I hit simply the best tee shot I've ever hit - 230 yards clean out of the middle of the face of my 3 wood. Lovely.

Has anyone any experience with "The Golfers Club" insurance?

I got a year's free insurance with golf care when i bought my clubs last year, but its about to expire, I was just going to renew with them, but a friend said i should switch to the Golfers Club Insurance as he thinks its the dogs b*llocks!

Whats your thoughts?

Went for a walk round the course today with the dog just to see how bad the water level is and to say it is bad at points would be an understatement. Surprisingly the worst areas are the fairways which are further away from the Tweed.

Looking to take the game back up after a Golfing Stag weekend a few weeks ago. First round i'd played in almost 4 year and really enjoyed it, needing something to do on days off just now.

Used to play to a decent standard until I was about 16 at which point I sold all my clubs and equipment etc. Anyone who can give me some advice, or point me in the right direction of where i can get a decent set of cheap/reasonably priced clubs/bags etc. Would probably join the Unis golf society for my final year, get really cheap membership at Panmure Golf Course in Angus.

So any help putting me in the right direction of a decent set of clubs would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys.

Played a few rounds in the last few weeks after not playing for about 3 years, when I stopped I was getting very frustrated as I was at that awkward age and height where junior clubs are too small and adult ones are too big, and as I result I was pish and couldn't be bothered. Apparently when I was younger I was quite a good player, can't remember being good though! Surprisingly, the rustiness didn't take very long to shake off at all and I was hitting some good shots. After some cracking 200+ yard drives at the start I now can't hit one for toffee, always topping it, and have to hit irons off the tee, which are also sometimes crap. I'll need to get to the driving range at some point soon to get back into the knack of teeshots again. Some of my fairway shots are slicing/hooking a bit but with practice it'll get better. One thing, though, which is strange, is that my short game is pretty damn good, better than I ever remember it to be. My putting is fairly solid too, so if I can improve my driving I'll hopefully be a decent player sometime soon.

The courses I've played since starting up again are Elie (Sports Club) - Par 32 and Anstruther - Par 31, both 9 hole courses. My best 9 for Elie was 46 and for Anstruther was 47! Quite pleased with that, especially Anstruther as it is quite a tricky course.

anyone going to scottish open at Inverness ?

is there a thread for this event ?

I won't be heading to Inverness but I did go to Loch Lomand the year Eduardo Molinari won. The last year it was held there IIRC.

I received Francisco's golf ball as he walked off the 18th - practically best mates now.. rolleyes.gif