Golfers Thread

Gaz

Broke 100 for the first time on Tuesday night, at my mates' course over at Tulliallan. Annoyingly an 8 at the last hole had me finishing on 99 rather than the 96 I was hoping for, but a slightly overhit third shot saw me roll off the green into a bunker.

Still, delighted!

Good effort round Tulliallan since it isn't the easiest course in the world.

This year I am looking to get my handicap again (should happen after this weekend) and then I would like to lose at least a couple of the handicap before the end of the season.

This year I wanted to get my game to a point where is was shooting low 90's - high 80's fairly consistently, which over the last few weeks i've managed.

Next year I'm definetely joining a club somewhere, so 2013's target is to get an official handicap and work down to the mid to high teens and go from there

Went for my lesson there. Pro watched me hit a series of tee shots 120 yards. Showed me my swing, told me to do one thing differently, next thing I'm blasting it 200 yards straight down the middle. Incredible.

Great to hear about the lesson. Hope it works out on the course when you get out next.

Seeing as you are a St Johnstone fan, can you recommend a decent course in Perth/Perthshire? We are both fairly average golfers so we aren't looking for a medal or championship type. My pal and I were thinking of going to either the Highlands or Perthshire for some camping, walking a few games of golf. I've always fancied playing that King James course just due to its location and sure I read somewhere that it is the only island course in the UK? Looks fairly priced as well.

Hoping to get out sometime this week or at least to the range at the weekend.

Great to hear about the lesson. Hope it works out on the course when you get out next.

Seeing as you are a St Johnstone fan, can you recommend a decent course in Perth/Perthshire? We are both fairly average golfers so we aren't looking for a medal or championship type. My pal and I were thinking of going to either the Highlands or Perthshire for some camping, walking a few games of golf. I've always fancied playing that King James course just due to its location and sure I read somewhere that it is the only island course in the UK? Looks fairly priced as well.

There are 3 courses in Perth itself-craigie hill (my club), King James VI on thr island and the North Inch. North Inch is cheapest but not the best-council run and the greens are a bit dubious sometimes.

The island is pretty unique and a nice course though I've not played it for years. Craigie Hill, as it's name suggests, is very hilly but has excellent greens and a good clubhouse-nice food etc. Reasonable green fees too.

If you don't fancy the hills go for King James VI, definitely worth playing.

Outside Perth there's also plenty choice-but the likes of Murrayshall, out towards scone, can be very pricy.

King James VI, definitely. Murrayshall is out at Scone and often has deals on. They have two courses, the small course is very hilly.

Heading over to Ireland for 3 weeks during the Summer. On our way back from Dublin, we're stopping in at Galway for a few nights. As any avid golfer would do, I looked up the closes golf course to the hotel; Gort Golf Club is the course of choice. Has anyone every played it before?

1340322154[/url]' post='6361108']

Play King James it is a great course and further out Crieff used to be good and since they have 27 holes they sometimes do deals which include lunch or try Muthill which is a great 9 hole course.

Play 36 holes yesterday in a medal and broke 90 in the first 18 but soon tried and was pretty rubbish second 18. Managed to birdie the same hole twice but ruined I by going 7, 7 straight after it.

Was feeling confident about my ball striking off the tee and fairway after my lesson the other day and a session at the range, so was desperate to get out today for 18 holes.

I was hoping to get back in the low 90s. My best ever round previously was a 91, while the last round I played I shot a 102.

I couldn't get out at my own club because there was a senior medal on and despite having a tee time booked I was told that someone half their age on the course could prove offensive, so I went down the North Inch in Perth for a game - it is a par 68, while my club is 66.

I shot an 84. 18 shots better than my last round, 20 better than my last round at that course and 7 better than my best ever round.

It was ridiculous - I was just hitting everything off the tee beautifully. I made par three times, including on a par five (where I was six inches away froma birdie).

At the 10th, a 151 yard par 3, I normally hit a 5 wood. Last time out there I hit that club 30 yards short. This time I hit my hybrid and it landed 8 feet from the flag.

The moral of the story is if you're feeling something is wrong with your swing or you want to improve in general get a couple of lessons in. It isn't expensive and it will make your golf so much more enjoyable.

Was feeling confident about my ball striking off the tee and fairway after my lesson the other day and a session at the range, so was desperate to get out today for 18 holes.

I was hoping to get back in the low 90s. My best ever round previously was a 91, while the last round I played I shot a 102.

I couldn't get out at my own club because there was a senior medal on and despite having a tee time booked I was told that someone half their age on the course could prove offensive, so I went down the North Inch in Perth for a game - it is a par 68, while my club is 66.

I shot an 84. 18 shots better than my last round, 20 better than my last round at that course and 7 better than my best ever round.

It was ridiculous - I was just hitting everything off the tee beautifully. I made par three times, including on a par five (where I was six inches away froma birdie).

At the 10th, a 151 yard par 3, I normally hit a 5 wood. Last time out there I hit that club 30 yards short. This time I hit my hybrid and it landed 8 feet from the flag.

The moral of the story is if you're feeling something is wrong with your swing or you want to improve in general get a couple of lessons in. It isn't expensive and it will make your golf so much more enjoyable.

Good to hear. There was a Groupon deal today for three hour-long lessons at Alloa for £29 so I've taken the plunge. Most of these deals are places at least a 45-minute drive away from me so by the time I factor in petrol they end up costing quite a bit, but Alloa's only 15 minutes away.

To answer the question from the previous page, by the end of the summer I would settle for breaking 105 regularly and cut out the nightmare rounds where I shoot 110-115+. Obviously I'd love if I could go under 100 another few times too.

Edited by Gaz

Get down to scratch and win my club championship (which is this Saturday).

Also, playing the West course at Wentworth next Tuesday, would like to break 80 round there.

Fail. Finished fourth, played crap (in line with the rest of the last 3 months).

Get down to scratch and win my club championship (which is this Saturday).

Also, playing the West course at Wentworth next Tuesday, would like to break 80 round there.

Fail #2, finished with a 7 for an 81. Wasn't in the water either, had 3 bunker shots after hitting my layup about 1 yard too far.

I also had the unusual start of 7, 2. Don't think I've ever done that before.

Getting really annoyed on the course now. Putting and iron play are in good shape but leaving myself in ridiculous positions off the tee. Horrible slice atm which I just can't control.

Does anybody have any tips?

Getting really annoyed on the course now. Putting and iron play are in good shape but leaving myself in ridiculous positions off the tee. Horrible slice atm which I just can't control.

Does anybody have any tips?

You need to strengthen your grip mate (I'm one to talk...) - it will feel awkward at first and will need a bit of work but should help with the slice.

Edit: By strengthen I mean turn your left hand over more, displaying more knuckles on your left hand as you look down.

Edited by Cowshed Chris

You need to strengthen your grip mate (I'm one to talk...) - it will feel awkward at first and will need a bit of work but should help with the slice.

Edit: By strengthen I mean turn your left hand over more, displaying more knuckles on your left hand as you look down.

That's exactly what a mate of mine, who is playing of 4, said to me. I'm starting to do that but will probably need a bit more practise.

Cheers mate. smile.gif

That's exactly what a mate of mine, who is playing of 4, said to me. I'm starting to do that but will probably need a bit more practise.

Cheers mate. smile.gif

Another tip is to not adjust your aim to compensate as it opens your body up and makes your slice worse. I have going through the same problem but starting to sort it now. I've adjusted my hand positions (mostly making sure by right hand is more straight and not open) and trying not to adjust my stance to compensate and its starting to pay off

Another tip is to not adjust your aim to compensate as it opens your body up and makes your slice worse. I have going through the same problem but starting to sort it now. I've adjusted my hand positions (mostly making sure by right hand is more straight and not open) and trying not to adjust my stance to compensate and its starting to pay off

I've made sure I've not being doing that mate and I am now starting to see the benefits. Played 9 holes today and was only +4 which, for a guy of 17, that's good going.

Thanks for the advice lads.