Golfers Thread

Gaz

I tok it up last year in a responce of having hee haw to do on Saturday afternoons. I've had a few lessons over the years and tbh, I felt they wwere a waste of time, as I never enjoyed them due to te fact I was always worrying if I was doing it right.

Went to a local course here, hacked my way round and loved it. Never counted my score, lost half a dozen balls and never bothered my arse about if my swing was correct. Following that, I went to the range, and figured out what I was doing wrong with my stance and such like. I'm still crap, but not taking as many fresh air swipes, losing balls and such like...

I'd buy secong hand clubs, and only once you are certain you will play it more than once a year.

It might be a good idea to have a couple of lessons just to set you off on the right track, then put it into practice at the driving range. Any decent local pro should be able to help you out with the basics, so dont feel pressurised, they're there to help you. A 40 minute lesson with most pros should set you back anywhere from £12 to £20, a lot for a 40 minutes or so, but very valuable.

If you find you enjoy it and want to stick at it, see about seasons tickets at your local muni. If you want to join a club, then use the following link. You can do an area search and many clubs have their prices/joining fees displayed on here, with info about courses, website links etc etc:

www.golfcentral.co.uk

Finally, if you decide to take up the game regularly, dont splurge a load of cash on the latest "name" gear. Get yourself onto e-bay / scot-ads and seek out some bargains there. You could easily fully kit yourself out with a bag and 14 clubs for less than £200.

Oh, and let us know how you get on!

Don't know if they still do it, but some golf pros used to take winter indoor starter classes in local halls etc. Benefit of these courses is that you will gain the basics while meeting people of your own standard. I think a winter of that and the driving range would give you enough confidence to go onto a course in the spring without embarrassing yourself too much.

Well Gaz seeing as I'm the best golfer on P&B listen to my advice.....

If your from Laurieston best place for you to go and hit balls would be Kingsfield up at Linlithgow, firstly don't go to a pro, as they will give you far to much technical advice which will mess your head up and may make you want to jack it in before you have started.

Go to the range and mainly focus on trying to hit a 6-iron, over time you should then progress up to a 5wood then 3wood and driver etc.

When you feel comfortable and aere able to hit the ball fairly consistantly ie. not missing or topping the ball then go and visit a pro. as they will then refine your mistakes.

If you go to the pro to early though you will basically be shelling out £20 to miss or top the ball while the pro laughs at you and collects your money.

The best advice though is to practice your short game. Most newcomers to golf cannot putt for shit and it really gets them down, if you practice putting so you can generally 2-putt most times this would be extremely helpful. Also practice chipping if you can do a basic action you should be capable of chipping the ball relatively close to the flag, theres nothing worse than fatting and thinning chips from just of the green.

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice folks :) Keep it coming.

I think I will try to get to the Driving Range over the next week or so a couple of times, and get a few pointers from the staff there on grip and swing, and go from there :)

Not read the full thread but... Gaz, fire through to Linlithgow Driving Range and get lessons from the pro there. That's what I done and it worked a treat. Don't play anymore as I play too much tennis, its honestly not because I'm utter gash.

Edited by wee_bairn

When I started playing golf, I found it far easier to hit a decent tee-shot with the 3-wood (or 5) as opposed to the driver. The driver is the most powerful club but it's unwieldy and difficult to get a clean strike with. I think it's best to gain confidence driving with the lower woods.

You know I am. That place is full of cretins.

Very true :lol: and one of many reasons why, when i start playing again next year my soft earned cash will be going to another golf club for membership. Monifieth most likely. Two courses, one of championship standard for around £400. And "my ex course" probably wont be a kick in the arse off that. And its shite.

I havednt played since last year. What kind of condition has it been in this year, and have i missed much?

When I started playing golf, I found it far easier to hit a decent tee-shot with the 3-wood (or 5) as opposed to the driver. The driver is the most powerful club but it's unwieldy and difficult to get a clean strike with. I think it's best to gain confidence driving with the lower woods.

I could never hit a wood. I used tio carry one or two for decoration but I hit a one iron off the tee normally. And I hit it just as far as most folk were clubbing their Drivers.

I could fade a one iron or draw it or hit it straight. I had more control over it than I did with woods for some reason. I gave up trying to hit a wood at the finish up as there was no point.

Edited by Reynard

I'm more accurate with my woods than my irons, which is a bit scary.

Very true :lol: and one of many reasons why, when i start playing again next year my soft earned cash will be going to another golf club for membership. Monifieth most likely. Two courses, one of championship standard for around £400. And "my ex course" probably wont be a kick in the arse off that. And its shite.

I havednt played since last year. What kind of condition has it been in this year, and have i missed much?

I remember playing at Monifieth in the junior 4 man team and topping my tee shot on the first into the bushes just off the tee. Muchos embarassing :ph34r:

As for Kirrie, well it's been in fairly decent nick but the greens haven't been quite as good as in recent years. They were running beautifully at the start of the season but have kind of gone a bit downhill in the summer due to the rain. And you haven't missed much off the course. It's still full of bawbags, the food is still frozen and you can't get a decent pint for love nor money.

I remember playing at Monifieth in the junior 4 man team and topping my tee shot on the first into the bushes just off the tee. Muchos embarassing :ph34r:

As for Kirrie, well it's been in fairly decent nick but the greens haven't been quite as good as in recent years. They were running beautifully at the start of the season but have kind of gone a bit downhill in the summer due to the rain. And you haven't missed much off the course. It's still full of bawbags, the food is still frozen and you can't get a decent pint for love nor money.

Same shit, different year then.

Defo joining Monifieth if i can be arsed with golf next year.

My worst Monifieth moment was shan*ing a 3 iron off the first across the railway in the County Youths Championships many moons ago.

just took this up myself.

Bought a full, cheap, second hand set and just trying to enjoy it. Don't get hung up on scores to start with.

I couldn't drive for shit a month ago but after purchasing a modern driver I'm now hitting 200+ yards.

If you have mates that play just tag along to their course until your sure you will stick at it.

That's my grandad's course, he's played it forever. Well up until last year, when he gave it up after his 5th hip replacement, stupid bugger :lol:

I've played it a good few times, both in Open comps, matches and also a few bounce games as my uncle is a member there. Not sure what its like now with the merged clubs etc, but ill most likely be joining The Grange.

Monifieth's a good pair of courses, frequently tough Medal course and the piss easy 'Ludie. Looking forward to it :D

mad isn't it, grew up in Carnoustie and Leven, Grandad played Monifeith and I lived in Kinross for 8 years, and never picked up a club till I arrived in New Zealand.

I wish I had taken it up as a nipper.