Golfers Thread

Gaz

Decided to purchase a new putter and have gotten a cheap version of the 2 ball putter. Hopefully the extra weight from my current putter will get my putts a little closer to the hole.

I got a new putter recently that was much, much heavier than my old one. I found it much easier to control right through the swing - keeping it straighter and getting the weight right more often. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

I've promised myself a new set of irons when I break 90. I've started to suspect quite a lot that my irons (a 20 year old set of King Cobras) aren't doing much to help me. I was pretty happy with them until I went to a shop to try out new woods and they gave me a 6 iron to warm up with. I couldn't help but hit the thing long and straight - far better than I hit my current irons. Surprising when you try something like that and you feel the difference instantly.

I got a new putter recently that was much, much heavier than my old one. I found it much easier to control right through the swing - keeping it straighter and getting the weight right more often. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

I've promised myself a new set of irons when I break 90. I've started to suspect quite a lot that my irons (a 20 year old set of King Cobras) aren't doing much to help me. I was pretty happy with them until I went to a shop to try out new woods and they gave me a 6 iron to warm up with. I couldn't help but hit the thing long and straight - far better than I hit my current irons. Surprising when you try something like that and you feel the difference instantly.

Glad to hear a heavier putter is working that gives me a little hope. Also been looking at lots of new irons and fancy the Cobra S3 irons. Was going to use my marking money to buty a new set. Need to get myself to a big golf store and try a few clubs out. The old Titleist DTR's I have are ok but I do feel that new irons can only help.

Another 18 holes and yes, you guessed it, another +16 which is level par. Came off really frustrated with 8 three puts which is really poor. Drives and irons were as solid as ever but putting let me down a lot. More positives to take though. Can feel a cut coming on Saturday!

Edited by forzamorton

I have never ever advised anyone against having a lesson.

Every player on the PGA and European has one or more coaches, why shouldn't players who aren't as good as them not do the same.

Haha couldn't have put it any better! Yeah, think i'm going to go ahead and book a couple of lessons. I think if i can sort by drives, i could get my handicap down pretty quickly

Haha couldn't have put it any better! Yeah, think i'm going to go ahead and book a couple of lessons. I think if i can sort by drives, i could get my handicap down pretty quickly

I'm the same. My mate (handicap 18) thinks my short game and putting are better than his, as does my paw-in-law (handicap 14). I played the other day and had 31 putts over 18 holes. I just have no consistency off the tee.

Edited by Gaz

I'm the same. My mate (handicap 18) thinks my short game and putting are better than his, as does my paw-in-law (handicap 14). I played the other day and had 31 putts over 18 holes. I just have no consistency off the tee.

Im the same. Since i started again, my putting has been storming, mostly never more than two putting. And the past couple of round my short games has been hitting the mark. Like you I just need some consistency off the tee.

Never as easy on a Saturday when you're waiting on every tee for 10 mins on your way to a 5 hour round...

I was in that situation just 2 days ago. Standing on every tee waiting on a group of women attempting to hit the ball and yet, despite knowing their holding everyone up, they where just defiant to not let us play through. mad.gif

I was in that situation just 2 days ago. Standing on every tee waiting on a group of women attempting to hit the ball and yet, despite knowing their holding everyone up, they where just defiant to not let us play through. mad.gif

I can't stick being held up for ages. The other week it took us almost 2 hours to get to the 7th tee by which point I had already ruined my score. The game infront allowed us to play through. Cue me parring 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13.

What time are you out at tomorrow?

Finally got my first official handicap, and astonishingly it's not 28 - I've been given 27.

Rather hilariously, a mate of mine who regularly shoots in the low 90s and tries to have a rivalry with me about anything (long story) has a handicap of 28. He'll be raging :lol:

I can't stick being held up for ages. The other week it took us almost 2 hours to get to the 7th tee by which point I had already ruined my score. The game infront allowed us to play through. Cue me parring 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13.

That annoyed the absolute f**k out of me when i used to play. The trick is to drive when they're just fractionally out of range. You're unlikely to hit anyone, but the sound of a ball landing 20 or so yards behind them should evenutally irritate them into letting you through.

Either that or they'll stick a complaint into the committee when you accidentally flush one which takes one bounce and just misses one of them by about 2 feet as she's aabout to play her 27th approach shot to the green. :ph34r:

Did you play on Saturday Forza?

Wee score for me... started with 4 bogeys which wasn't ideal but steadied the ship and was out in 39 (+4). Rain came on pretty heavy as we went on to the 10th and - fair weather golfer that I am - I managed to make a total mess of the back 9 including two double bogeys (being just off the 17th in two and taking 4 to get down was particularly frustrating).

Despite playing pretty poorly (but scoring okay) I had a putt on the 18th for a 79 which I raced 12 ft past the hole - thankfully holed the return for a net 67 which I'll take and be happy with.

May try and play the medal on Wednesday.

Did you play on Saturday Forza?

Wee score for me... started with 4 bogeys which wasn't ideal but steadied the ship and was out in 39 (+4). Rain came on pretty heavy as we went on to the 10th and - fair weather golfer that I am - I managed to make a total mess of the back 9 including two double bogeys (being just off the 17th in two and taking 4 to get down was particularly frustrating).

Despite playing pretty poorly (but scoring okay) I had a putt on the 18th for a 79 which I raced 12 ft past the hole - thankfully holed the return for a net 67 which I'll take and be happy with.

May try and play the medal on Wednesday.

I did mate. Ended up with a 68 (+4) net on the wee course with a double on the last. Was just one of those days where nothing was happening for me. Lipped out for a par 8 times and a silly quadrupole bogey on the fourth always made it an uphill battle. Will move up 0.1 but will learn from the silly mistakes and get a cut. laugh.gif

I really wish they would play more stablefords on Saturdays which would really help we, higher handicappers. For example, we all have that one bad hole (me on the 4th on Saturday) but if we were playing stableford, we would only need to put a blank and move on but playing stroke play, it gives you a serious uphill battle. Would you all agree?

I did mate. Ended up with a 68 (+4) net on the wee course with a double on the last. Was just one of those days where nothing was happening for me. Lipped out for a par 8 times and a silly quadrupole bogey on the fourth always made it an uphill battle. Will move up 0.1 but will learn from the silly mistakes and get a cut. laugh.gif

I really wish they would play more stablefords on Saturdays which would really help we, higher handicappers. For example, we all have that one bad hole (me on the 4th on Saturday) but if we were playing stableford, we would only need to put a blank and move on but playing stroke play, it gives you a serious uphill battle. Would you all agree?

The handicapping rules may have changed recently, but i do recall not that long ago that even in a normal medal, anything worse than a double was left at a double for handicapping purposes.

Ie if you'd shot 88-24=64 but chucked in a 9 on a par 4 somewhere, in terms of the competition, the 64 stands, but when doing the handicap calculation, it would probably have been treat as a 6, and calculated on a nett 61.

I think that makes sense :ph34r:

The handicapping rules may have changed recently, but i do recall not that long ago that even in a normal medal, anything worse than a double was left at a double for handicapping purposes.

Ie if you'd shot 88-24=64 but chucked in a 9 on a par 4 somewhere, in terms of the competition, the 64 stands, but when doing the handicap calculation, it would probably have been treat as a 6, and calculated on a nett 61.

I think that makes sense :ph34r:

For handicapping the worst a score will count is a net double bogey.

I play off 8 and yesterday managed to run up a 9 on the par 4 5th hole which is stroke index 7. For handicap calculation this will count as a 7. If it had been at hole where I don't have a stroke it would have counted a 6 for handicap calculations.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I didn't realise you were still a junior. Used to fair enjoy the junior medals on the wee course!

As pointed out, the worst you can score on any hole is a net double bogey so your 8 at the 4th would be treated as a 7 for handicap purposes... You'll often see people with a ' @ ' beside their score meaning this rule has been utilised on their score.

Means when you're playing the 9th the second time round you know you don't have to worry about putting 4 balls over the cemi wall as your score is capped at a 6 haha

I didn't realise you were still a junior. Used to fair enjoy the junior medals on the wee course!

In view of this I decided to play 9 on the wee course last night, forgot how good scoring could be of your iron play is solid.

Started with 5 pars before missing a 4 ft straight uphill par putt at 6. Went left with my approach to 7 and had to hack out the trees leading to a double bogey, finishing par par for a 35.

Nice wee course and greens seemed to be in really good nick, if a little slow. Good to play for a change of scene.

Edited by Cowshed Chris