Golfers Thread

Gaz

Hadn't played for 5 years, but this year i started playing again. Wasnt planning joining anywhere in particular, or getting a handicap (i just wanted to enjoy playing again - which i am) but ended up joining my old course, Rothes (par 68) and putting in my handicap cards, where i got an expected 28.

Havent been playing overly well, and up until today, hadnt broke 100.

Played my second competition today, June Medal, and finished with 93, nett 65, which i was delighted with - will find out tomorrow the full list of scores, but in with a good chance of winning! Went out in 50 and came in with a 43. After hitting a 7 and 9 on the opening holes, i thought it was going to be a day of high scores, but knuckled down and got some consistency! Really chuffed with some of my shots, and my short game and putting was at its best.

Edited by dazwesty89

Had a lesson a month ago and they really are worth the cash. Two things I got fixed - twist the wrists so club is pointing up when you've swung to three o'clock and swing the club over the head ("outwards"), rather than over the shoulder. The last felt completely unnatural but it's definitely improved my woods and long irons.

I'm honking around the green though. Two shots to being just off the green then usually another 5 shots to close out. Any ideas on how to address - not sure if lessons would help (i.e. get the pro out on the course rather than the range). Not sure if just practicing on tod at a putting green or pitch and putt would help.

Guest honestrae95

Had a lesson a month ago and they really are worth the cash. Two things I got fixed - twist the wrists so club is pointing up when you've swung to three o'clock and swing the club over the head ("outwards"), rather than over the shoulder. The last felt completely unnatural but it's definitely improved my woods and long irons.

I'm honking around the green though. Two shots to being just off the green then usually another 5 shots to close out. Any ideas on how to address - not sure if lessons would help (i.e. get the pro out on the course rather than the range). Not sure if just practicing on tod at a putting green or pitch and putt would help.

Thankfully i'm shit hot around the greens, if i wasnt i would be playing off about 20 rather than 11! Best way to get good is practice practice practice! Having a good touch and feel around the greens is something you either have or dont. You cant really teach it (so my pal whos pro says anyway). When pitching and chipping, dont lift your head until your swing is complete- thats quite a good tip. If you lift your head, you'll most likely fluff the chip

1338633582[/url]' post='6296245']

There is quite a good app available for iPad/iPhone.

Great for anybody learning the game. Improved my short game tenfold. Do a search for golf monthly short game.

1338719567[/url]' post='6298778']

Try the app I mentioned above.

Short video lessons with some great instruction. It's unbelievable the difference it has made to my short game.

Was over in Arran over the weekend and played three rounds. Shot a 93 and 96 on the same course (Whiting Bay) which is 30 and 33 over and then an 87, 26 over on Lamlash(which I was told was a harder course). Not too disappointed, although I was 7 over after 7 on that 30 over round and started losing balls all over the place. I fluked a couple though, pitched in and it was going miles by and it hit the pin twice and stopped within a foot laugh.gif

Was just playing my dad the first time, was 5-2 up after 9 and drew 7-7 after 18. Missed the putt on the 18th for the win sad.gif. The second round on that course was with 5 of us. Shot three more than the first round but overall it was more consistent, far less pars that the first though. Came tied second(although we were played match play but counting halves, thirds and quarters) with 3.33 holes(winner had 3.66 holes). Again, I missed the putt on the 17th which would've won me the hole, instead I thirded it with the winner and one other, so if I'd sunk that putt I'd have had 4 and the winner would've only been on 3.33 sad.gif (assuming the 18th played out the same)

The round on Lamlash was decent. Couple of pars but 9 bogeys(7 on the back nine with 2 double bogeys) so that's pretty decent for me.

Pitching is usually my weak point but I felt it was slightly better. When I knew I was out of the hole, I started experimenting with my lob wedge, still can't hit it for shit. Next time I'm in my golf course, I think I'll spend half an hour to an hour in the bunker/off the green and try and pitch/chip on.

This isn't really what this thread is for but did anybody just see Tiger's birdie at the Memorial. it was honestly sick... ohmy.gif

Absolutely stunning shot at the 16th.

Tiger looked absolutely in control of his game for the first time in ages.

Interesting to note that Fowler who was playing with TW had an absolute meltdown and shot 84 Ouch.

Guest honestrae95

Was over in Arran over the weekend and played three rounds. Shot a 93 and 96 on the same course (Whiting Bay) which is 30 and 33 over and then an 87, 26 over on Lamlash(which I was told was a harder course). Not too disappointed, although I was 7 over after 7 on that 30 over round and started losing balls all over the place. I fluked a couple though, pitched in and it was going miles by and it hit the pin twice and stopped within a foot laugh.gif

Was just playing my dad the first time, was 5-2 up after 9 and drew 7-7 after 18. Missed the putt on the 18th for the win sad.gif. The second round on that course was with 5 of us. Shot three more than the first round but overall it was more consistent, far less pars that the first though. Came tied second(although we were played match play but counting halves, thirds and quarters) with 3.33 holes(winner had 3.66 holes). Again, I missed the putt on the 17th which would've won me the hole, instead I thirded it with the winner and one other, so if I'd sunk that putt I'd have had 4 and the winner would've only been on 3.33 sad.gif (assuming the 18th played out the same)

The round on Lamlash was decent. Couple of pars but 9 bogeys(7 on the back nine with 2 double bogeys) so that's pretty decent for me.

Pitching is usually my weak point but I felt it was slightly better. When I knew I was out of the hole, I started experimenting with my lob wedge, still can't hit it for shit. Next time I'm in my golf course, I think I'll spend half an hour to an hour in the bunker/off the green and try and pitch/chip on.

By any chance did you get the 21.40 boat home on friday? If you did i got talking to a boy dressed in lime green for about half an hour, about golf!

By any chance did you get the 21.40 boat home on friday? If you did i got talking to a boy dressed in lime green for about half an hour, about golf!

Nah I came home today (the 13.50 ferry). Unless you mean the ferry out, in which case I got the ferry about about 3(1515 I think) to Brodick.

I played The Grove yesterday. For those who haven't heard of it, it hosted the World Golf Championships in 2006 the week after the Ryder Cup in Ireland.

They run a competition every year, 5 qualifying comps with top 5 from each going through to a grand final. On each day the course is set up as it was for the WGC event. It comes to about 7,200 yards and is absolutely brutal.

I was round in 82 net 80 yesterday, came back in 38, and was really pleased with it. It was pouring with rain, and I hit a 3 wood into 8 of the holes, with driver on another hole (I'm not particularly short, driver about 250yds, 3 wood about 220yds).

Tiger won the WGC event at 23 under par, shooting 63, 64, 67, 67, and dropped a grand total of 3 shots over the 72 holes. The full leaderboard for the 2006 WGC is here.

It is difficult to put into words the different level these guys are on, not just Tiger, but anyone who can play 18 holes under par round a course that brutal.

A nice footnote is that my net 80 was in the top 5 scores, so I have qualified for a grand final there in October where I get to do it all over again for some really good prizes.

Played 18 holes today. Was going along well and was playing especially good at some points. Pared 3 holes in a row which put me a -2 under my handicap. One bad hole on the 8th after a perfect drive ruined what could have been a really good round. Finished 69 net which is level par.

Out again tomorrow. Loving this time off. biggrin.gif

My advice would be don't carry a lob wedge in your bag. The temptation to use it and play a Phil Mick type shot is too great too often for us handicap golfers. I would go to 52deg max, and only use that when absolutely necessary (e.g. bunkers). Play chip and runs rather than pitches whenever you can; with a 7 or 8 iron.

Played the Carrickstone course at Dullatur today. Horrid front 9 of 54, then stormed home with a 41 which I was very happy about.

I'm off to Arran this weekend funnily enough. Playing Corrie on Friday afternoon, then twice at Whiting Bay on Saturday and finishing off with Brodick on Sunday :)

Guest honestrae95

Nah I came home today (the 13.50 ferry). Unless you mean the ferry out, in which case I got the ferry about about 3(1515 I think) to Brodick.

Couldnt have been- i came home on friday. Thought i had met someone from your party.

Another 18 holes played today on the 'wee course'. Started really poor with 3 double bogeys to open my round but a tap in birdie on 6 really kicked me on. Up and down throughout but finished with a comfortable 65 net which is one over par.

My advice would be don't carry a lob wedge in your bag. The temptation to use it and play a Phil Mick type shot is too great too often for us handicap golfers. I would go to 52deg max, and only use that when absolutely necessary (e.g. bunkers). Play chip and runs rather than pitches whenever you can; with a 7 or 8 iron.

I tend not to bother playing it, just thought I'd try it out because I was out of the hole. I usually play those chip and runs with a 3 or 5 iron but only if I'm downhill or level. If it's uphill then I'll take a pitching wedge.

Couldnt have been- i came home on friday. Thought i had met someone from your party.

Nah wouldn't have been. The three of the four I was playing with were already out there and the other I came with on Friday afternoon.

Played my second competition today, June Medal, and finished with 93, nett 65, which i was delighted with - will find out tomorrow the full list of scores, but in with a good chance of winning! Went out in 50 and came in with a 43. After hitting a 7 and 9 on the opening holes, i thought it was going to be a day of high scores, but knuckled down and got some consistency! Really chuffed with some of my shots, and my short game and putting was at its best.

Results were posted last night and won it by 2 strokes!

Out on Saturday for a 2 man scramble with the old man - hopefully continue the good golf.

As a treat, and since i've been looking for a new one, i ordered a Odyssey Golf Metal X 2 Ball Putter! Cant wait to get it out on the course.

Been having problems with my driving, slice it every time, and despite getting distance with it, im losing the guts of 60yrds with the slice. Been thinking about getting a couple of lessons with the local Pro to see if i can fix it - what do yous think?

Been having problems with my driving, slice it every time, and despite getting distance with it, im losing the guts of 60yrds with the slice. Been thinking about getting a couple of lessons with the local Pro to see if i can fix it - what do yous think?

I have never ever advised anyone against having a lesson.

Every player on the PGA and European has one or more coaches, why shouldn't players who aren't as good as them not do the same.