Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just started playing again after a break of about 3 years, joined Elmwood near Cupar mainly because it was cheap (£17.50 over 10 months then £3 each time you play). 1st round a couple of weeks back was 82, played last Friday and shot another 82, work on the putting will definitely shave a few off that. (my handicap used to be 8)

Just got a good deal on a set of used Cleveland TA5 irons so itching to get back on the course, weather permitting 9 holes after work on Thursday + 18 on Sat and holiday Monday.

Edited to add - I have a set of Snake Eyes TC-01 irons for sale 3-SW if anyone is interested. PM for photos, looking for £120 delivered or can be collected from Glenrothes.

Edited by keyser_soze

I played he north inch in Perth today. Was doing really well, on for a sub 100 round until I caught up to the group in front. Three old boys, slower than a week in jail, and no interest in letting me play through. I got more and more pissed off, which coincided with my scores going up and up. It was ludicrous, I'd get to the tee just seconds after they moved off it but I didn't get past them til the 17th, and even then it was grudging. As soon as I got past them I played my best shots of the round!

Think I need to go back to my club's pro and look at my tee shots again, I've lost distance recently and can't figure out why!

I played he north inch in Perth today. Was doing really well, on for a sub 100 round until I caught up to the group in front. Three old boys, slower than a week in jail, and no interest in letting me play through. I got more and more pissed off, which coincided with my scores going up and up. It was ludicrous, I'd get to the tee just seconds after they moved off it but I didn't get past them til the 17th, and even then it was grudging. As soon as I got past them I played my best shots of the round!

Think I need to go back to my club's pro and look at my tee shots again, I've lost distance recently and can't figure out why!

What nick is the course in? The island yesterday was in a horrid state, absolutely soaking.

Horrendous round at the island course in perth today. Shot 136, went out in 79 :-O everything just went wrong.

One of my favourite courses but it always seems to be wet.

Went for a walk round the local course with the dog today and it felt very wet under feet.

What nick is the course in? The island yesterday was in a horrid state, absolutely soaking.

Surprisingly not too bad. Wet in certain small patches but not nearly as bad as it was last summer.

Asked this in the Quick Question thread yesterday, but probably better to ask here.

I have booked up with a couple of mates to go to Torrevieja for a week in a couple of months and I was wondering if it was common for there to be places to hire golfing equipment when you are out there?

:lol: possibly. Although there were a fewer groups of women playing after us who looked to average about 10 a hole :lol:

Hopefully I'll get back to my item course next week and get the score in the right direction again.

I remember when I first started playing one of my mates was given a 54 handicap at the island which he could never play to. His net scores still used to be similar to someone with a 20 handicap's gross. He was truly terrible.

Finally broke 100 off the summer tees at my course today. Hit a 97, although actually still disappointed with that score given I was only on 90 when I got to the 18th tee and normally go down the final hole in five. Unfortunately stuck my third shot in a deep bunker beside the green and my chances of 94/95 went out the window!

Struck the ball a lot better today and was picking the right club more often than not as well.

Struck the ball a lot better today and was picking the right club more often than not as well.

If club selection is a problem for you (and you have an iPhone or compatable smartphone), the Swing By Swing golf app can be handy for calculating distances.

THe best advice i can give for guys just getting into golf and looking to bring the scores down is to practice like f**k on the short game, specificially within 20 yards of the green, and on putting.

I used to love working on chips, lobs, splash and flop shots. It's the most fun form of practice there is in my view, with the added bonus that if you work on it fairly regularly it will make a big difference to your scoring. If you're getting on or abouts the dancefloor in 3 shots on most Par 4s, and get to a stage where you will you can get down in two on even 25-50% of such holes, your scores will come down.

It also takes the pressure off your approach shots a little, if you feel reasonably confident of your chances of getting it close from a few yards off the green.

THe best advice i can give for guys just getting into golf and looking to bring the scores down is to practice like f**k on the short game, specificially within 20 yards of the green, and on putting.

I used to love working on chips, lobs, splash and flop shots. It's the most fun form of practice there is in my view, with the added bonus that if you work on it fairly regularly it will make a big difference to your scoring. If you're getting on or abouts the dancefloor in 3 shots on most Par 4s, and get to a stage where you will you can get down in two on even 25-50% of such holes, your scores will come down.

It also takes the pressure off your approach shots a little, if you feel reasonably confident of your chances of getting it close from a few yards off the green.

I think that's what I need to spend time on.

I played today and shot a 105 (I don't have a handicap and am not very good so 34 over isn't too bad). I managed to avoid the big 10s which was good as that's usually an occurrence once or twice during a round where I'll mess a drive or something and end up losing at least one ball and hitting a couple of duff shots before getting on the green and 3 putting. But as you say, the very short game was what fucked me today. I had quite a few par putts and one or two birdie chances but I kept three putting(or a pitch from just off and two putts).

I need to try and build up some upper body strength though. I feel I could gain a bit of extra distance in the drive if I get a bit of that(I was playing with my dad and two uncles and they were out driving me pretty much 95% of the time, I'd say.

The driving and general iron/woods play was pretty good today but the pitches and putts just didn't happen. It is the first time I've played since June though so there was definitely some rustiness on those first couple.

I was giving myself par putts far more frequently yesterday and that's why my score came down considerably.

I played through a Swedish couple early on in my round. I think they thought I was the club pro or something after they saw my tee shot when I went by them. I've never caught a shot so perfectly in my life, and the next time they saw my I hit another absolute screamer into the heart of the green from 150 yards. Next thing you know they're asking me all about the best way to play various holes on the course! Little did they know I was shanking most of the shots they didn't see!

Fitted in a quick nine holes this evening and shot a 54.

Made worse by having to take a couple of drop shots (losing my first tee shot included) and a nightmare 10 at the Par 5 eighth.

Two pars in nine holes, so can't complain at that, and got up and down three times overall from within sixty yards.

Annoyingly, I know I have the shots in me to break 100, but it's finding the consistency to play well throughout an entire round that I'm struggling with.

Edited by Gaz

Falkirk Golf Club, at Carmuirs between Camelon and Larbert. Been a member there for a couple of weeks now but my faither-in-law's been there for donkey's years so I'd played it a few times before with him.

Did you join at the recent Open Day?

Did you join at the recent Open Day?

Yeah I sure did. £299 because I'm not yet 30, can't complain.

First round of the year, and first round ever with the new clubs today , shot 89 on a par 72 (SSS70) though it was boggy so played every inch on the card. Long-distance putting was rather hilarious, 3 x 3 putts and 1 x Marty-Feldmann-esque 4 putt, where on the 2nd putt I knocked it about 15 feet past from 10 feet away. Although on the flipside I did save par once by chipping in from just off the green and got the first birdie of the year on the card, which is always good.

Think in drier conditions and once I get used to the feel of the new wedges I'll be looking to play to 12 or 13 consistently. Just getting a regular game is the hardest part at the moment.