Golfers Thread

Gaz

looking for advice too. Only been playing 2 years now. Got a cracking set of John Letters clubs can't fault them. My only problem is they came with a square headed driver which i just don't like. Used my dads driver but it's time I got my own. Not looking to spend £300 on a club but don't mind spending a bit as long as the quality is good. Can anyone help ?

cheers

You don't need to, got this second hand from pro shop at my club.. 30 squid, good nick, very forgiving.. 2014 club so fairly recent...
1497471462546.jpg

On 6/13/2017 at 18:47, peasy23 said:

I know DL3 on here is a busy man but I'm hoping he can find the time to post his usual US Open thread. Nice to see McIlroy making the point that on most of the holes you have a 60 yard gap between the very heavy rough, so players should be able to hit that no problem.

I can only apologise! Been meaning to write something up for the U.S. Open on P&B - but I've been extremely busy this past week and it's been a struggle to find any time to come up with anything substantive. However, I'll endeavor to get back on track for the Open next month. 

Looking forward to seeing how Erin Hills plays over the next few days. I have spoken with a couple of golf travel journalists recently who have played the course, and they were positive, and generally speaking the players have been quite warm towards it. Rory is saying all the right things. He clearly feels comfortable with the layout and believes his game matches. Always go back to the Jack Nicklaus mantra of ruling out other players who complained about a setup at a major. McIlroy going for the same approach!

For the USGA, coming after the sharp criticism of Chambers Bay and Oakmont, it's an important championship. They need a smooth one to restore a bit of goodwill. Fairways are wider than most PGA Tour venues, but the penalty for missing them is undoubtedly severe. Course is playing softer than the organisers would have ideally wanted, but the main challenge for the field will come from the weather and pin positions. Any significant wind is going to be problematic, as there isn't really any room to run the ball into greens. Like nearby Whistling Straits, it may look like a links, but it doesn't necessarily play like one.

Seems to be a degree of flexibility with what the USGA can do with the pins, and from what I've seen/heard, they could place them in some pretty crazy places should they wish to manipulate the scoring. Key is finding a balance between difficulty and fairness. Simple rule of thumb for me is whether a course yields a low score to great play. If it doesn't, then there is something wrong with it. Hopefully they get that right. Expect we'll see a wide disparity in numbers, and a winning score somewhere in the mid single digits under par, and (fingers crossed) a U.S. Open without anything especially controversial, as they've seen saved recently by the quality of champions.

I heard a bit of 5Live's preview show last night and they echoed a few of the things you have said. They were saying that a lot of people were fearing another Chambers Bay, but when they got to Erin Hills quickly found out it was nothing like it. Also made the point that because the course has been closed since October to prepare for this then it is in superb condition. The only real fear seems to be if the wind was to get really strong then it is going go make the wide fairways seems a lot smaller. Looking forward to it starting, gone for Rahm and Rose.

Guys, looking to get some advice on a new set of irons.  I'm only an occasional player at the moment due to young family, any thoughts on best irons for a high handicapper? 

Been looking at second hand clubs on eBay but most of the ones in my price range are 5 or 6 years old. Is there any point looking into these? 

I'm looking to play a lot more during this summer. If anyone wants a game then let me know. I'm now a seasonal greenkeeper on the old course so I've got a links ticket for Monday-Friday on the majority of courses in St Andrews.

15 hours ago, Davis Love III said:

I can only apologise! Been meaning to write something up for the U.S. Open on P&B - but I've been extremely busy this past week and it's been a struggle to find any time to come up with anything substantive. However, I'll endeavor to get back on track for the Open next month. 

Looking forward to seeing how Erin Hills plays over the next few days. I have spoken with a couple of golf travel journalists recently who have played the course, and they were positive, and generally speaking the players have been quite warm towards it. Rory is saying all the right things. He clearly feels comfortable with the layout and believes his game matches. Always go back to the Jack Nicklaus mantra of ruling out other players who complained about a setup at a major. McIlroy going for the same approach!

For the USGA, coming after the sharp criticism of Chambers Bay and Oakmont, it's an important championship. They need a smooth one to restore a bit of goodwill. Fairways are wider than most PGA Tour venues, but the penalty for missing them is undoubtedly severe. Course is playing softer than the organisers would have ideally wanted, but the main challenge for the field will come from the weather and pin positions. Any significant wind is going to be problematic, as there isn't really any room to run the ball into greens. Like nearby Whistling Straits, it may look like a links, but it doesn't necessarily play like one.

Seems to be a degree of flexibility with what the USGA can do with the pins, and from what I've seen/heard, they could place them in some pretty crazy places should they wish to manipulate the scoring. Key is finding a balance between difficulty and fairness. Simple rule of thumb for me is whether a course yields a low score to great play. If it doesn't, then there is something wrong with it. Hopefully they get that right. Expect we'll see a wide disparity in numbers, and a winning score somewhere in the mid single digits under par, and (fingers crossed) a U.S. Open without anything especially controversial, as they've seen saved recently by the quality of champions.

Don't want to sound like a brown nose, but I could read DL3 talking about golf all day.

I'm looking to play a lot more during this summer. If anyone wants a game then let me know. I'm now a seasonal greenkeeper on the old course so I've got a links ticket for Monday-Friday on the majority of courses in St Andrews.

Awrite mate im in for some o that

T27        Martin Laird    E    F    E    72                72
T60        Russell Knox    +1    F    +1    73                73
T60        Richie Ramsay    +1    3*    +1