Golfers Thread

Gaz

Have not played reguarly for about 10 years years, got down to 9 but got pretty frustrated with it, plus work, wine, women and song took over. Thinking of getting back into it again.

What I am concerned about is the new club regulations spent a bit on a set of Callaway x 18 irons and a mickleson wedge with the 'mack daddy' grooves my driver is an older hawkeye steelhead and 3 and 5 wood hawkeye VFT. I would hate to think I would need to shell out again if any of these are illegal now.

The R and A website has a specific section on equipment and conforming to the rules.

Link

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Was playing in the scottish boys championship in Mucar at the start of the week, got to the 2nd round and got beat 2&1, still delighted to get through the first round, poured down most of the time and was blowing a gale constantly.

One of my most interesting experiences was at the Scottish Boys at Dunbar in 1997.

Drank a bottle of vodka the night before my first round match, spewed up all over the hotel room, was seeing two balls on the first tee the next morning. Won on the third extra hole.

Eventually got pumped by a Scotland internationalist in the third round.

I've been trying to play more over the last year or so and my standard was slowly improving. I got one of those 4 hour long lessons from Groupon up at Bishopbriggs Range and after 3 lessons I was hitting the ball further and truer than I ever have in my puff. I played with my mate and went round his track, Monktonhall, and went round in 92, which I was chuffed with. My mate plays off 16 and I was regularly matching scores with him.

Went back for my 4th and final lesson and it was a different pro and ever since listening to him I've been topping every single shot.

Murder :(

I had my first lesson - focussing on my tee shots - and was hitting off the tee better than ever. Went for my second - and looked more at my iron play - and started hitting my irons a lot better. Unfortunately that has put me almost back to square one with my woods off the tee! Disaster :lol:

Just bought my first set of new clubs today. Nike Slingshot Iron Combo set. 5I to PW and a 3 and 4 iron Hybrid. Also came with a Nike putter. Got all that for £249.

To complete the set I still need a good bag, a driver and a sand wedge.

Just bought my first set of new clubs today. Nike Slingshot Iron Combo set. 5I to PW and a 3 and 4 iron Hybrid. Also came with a Nike putter. Got all that for £249.

To complete the set I still need a good bag, a driver and a sand wedge.

Sounds decent. Hybrids are much easier to hit than long irons, eBay is usually very good for golf stuff if your looking for other stuff.

Shot a 69 (-1) round lanark today. first ever under par round. it was only a bounce game but still nice to shoot under par for the first time, need to start doing that in a medal but.

Great shooting.

My best rounds in bounce games are 72 round Dumfries and County many years ago and 72 round Ballater a couple of years ago.

Best in a competition a 75 (4 over) round Scotscraig.

Absolutely. I think it was Padraig Harrington who said any club golfer who doesn't get hybrids instead of long irons is putting themselves at an unnecessary disadvantage.

Yeh think it was, this shot was played with a hybridbiggrin.gif

Edited by grant MFC

Interested to hear what you think of those irons. I had a shot of a couple the other day and quite liked the feel of them, could be worth a shot!

I am yet to strike a ball with them, but they feel really good in my hands. All the reviews on the internet say that they are weighted in order to get the ball in the air better, which for a beginner is obviously a good thing.

An unexpected treat today.

Played Tullallan with three of my mates this morning and played pretty well. A couple of nightmare holes but not too bad. And I only putted 38 times over the 18 holes, only just averaging over 2 putts per hole.

Secondly, went for my lunch down to Falkirk Golf Club (my paw-in-law's club) with my wife. They were having an open day so I was going to have a look around the pro shop. I didn't know that they were doing membership for 22-30 year olds for £299, and when I got down there my wife told me her nana was treating me, so I'm now a member at Falkirk. Lovely stuff!

I shot 111 this morning as well. 110 is my next target at Falkirk. Rather annoyingly I shot a 9 on a hole I'm usually better at (took 6 for it on Monday), and finished with a 7 and a 9 on the two last holes (where I carded two 6s on Monday). If I'd had three 6s again I'd have been on 103 and that would have been my best ever round. Hoping to break 100 by the end of the summer.

One other thing I've started to do is mark down my adjusted score, as if I was submitting it for a handicap (which I'll be hoping to do over the next few weeks).

Guys - a genuine question. The clubs I'm playing with are an old set of my paw-in-law's. They're Dunlop 65i clubs and, to be honest, they're pretty poor (although I really like my putter), comparable with a starter set from Sports Direct I guess. I struggle for consistency with them and I've noticed on the 5-iron that the shaft has came away from the head (oo-er!) by about an inch and a half, and on the 8-iron by about a centimetre.

Obviously I am a relatively new golfer and I'm limited by my ability, but does anyone think I'm being hampered further by the poor quality of my clubs? Am I likely to notice a benefit of treating myself to another, more forgiving, set of irons and, if so, could anyone recommend a decent, reasonably-priced set?

Thanks very much.

Edited by Gaz