Jump to content
Gaz

Golfers Thread

Recommended Posts

Looking forward to the season starting. Last season was my first proper season playing medals and getting an official handicap. Struggled for long periods after being given 22 rising to 24 over the course of the season.

Played a good few times over the winter and have had a few lessons which have helped my ball striking. 

Hoping for a quick start and an early cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck for the season. I've just got back onto it after a long lay off, being given a winter membership for my local club as a birthday present. Can't wait to get off the winter tees and have a go at the full length course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have played every weekend over the winter after taking golf up in April just there. Been hard going at but definitely improving, hoping it will stand me in good stead come the nicer conditions.

Not sure if I should start entering medals to obtain my handicap. Not sure if it would improve me, or destroy my confidence. Hard to know how well I'm playing at the moment due to the shite conditions. We'll see...

Looking forward to the light nights, not far away now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gavin_3110 said:

Have played every weekend over the winter after taking golf up in April just there. Been hard going at but definitely improving, hoping it will stand me in good stead come the nicer conditions.

Not sure if I should start entering medals to obtain my handicap. Not sure if it would improve me, or destroy my confidence. Hard to know how well I'm playing at the moment due to the shite conditions. We'll see...

Looking forward to the light nights, not far away now.

Was thinking the same about the medals not sure wether to wait a while longer to try n get a handicap.

I took up golf at the beginning of last summer aswell, usually play myself or with a mate but not really competitively. Last year I was hitting just over 100 usually aiming to get under 100 but never managed it. Played twice since the new year and the 2nd time hit 91.

Looking forward to the brighter nights to get more practise in. Reckon I can get down to hitting about 80 on average this Summer if I improve my short game and putting which is pretty erratic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Was thinking the same about the medals not sure wether to wait a while longer to try n get a handicap.

I took up golf at the beginning of last summer aswell, usually play myself or with a mate but not really competitively. Last year I was hitting just over 100 usually aiming to get under 100 but never managed it. Played twice since the new year and the 2nd time hit 91.

Looking forward to the brighter nights to get more practise in. Reckon I can get down to hitting about 80 on average this Summer if I improve my short game and putting which is pretty erratic.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me mate. Under 100 is good for me, playing on a par 71 course. Only scored under 90 once, when I nipped 89 in perfect conditions.

I've not really kept scores over the winter as it would just be demoralizing. I've been playing at Crow Wood or Westerwood, both of which are really wet underfoot at the moment so you get no run whatsoever and end up hacking about most of the time.

I play better when I just take my medicine and take say two good middle irons to get me in close, rather than a duffed drive and a hack out some rough to get me to the same point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say get your 3 cards handed in at the start of the season and take a handicap, it'll help you aim to improve.

I done the same last year. Thought my handicap would have been around 17-18 but got given 14 after my 3 cards, ended up getting down to 10.8 and it's gives you something to work against every round. I enjoy the concept of playing against my handicap and trying to save buffer out of a poor round.

Don't feel like I've played anywhere near enough over the winter, I can't wait for the clocks to go back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a handicap also let's you play in other competitions like scrambles etc which are usually great fun. As a high handicapper I love playing in them as there is absolutely no pressure on me and if I help out a few times in the round it makes it even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you go about getting a handicap? Do you just sign up for monthly medals and hand in 3 cards? Is it possible to play in medals without a handicap in the first place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How do you go about getting a handicap? Do you just sign up for monthly medals and hand in 3 cards? Is it possible to play in medals without a handicap in the first place?

Play 3 rounds with another member of your club and hand the cards in to the pro/club shop,doesnt have to be in a medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Play 3 rounds with another member of your club and hand the cards in to the pro/club shop,doesnt have to be in a medal


It actually can't be a medal, as far as i know, as you can't enter a medal without a handicap.
As you say play 3 rounds with a fellow member and give the cards to the match secretary who will allocate you an official handicap based on an average of those 3 cards (more or less).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gavin_3110 said:

Have played every weekend over the winter after taking golf up in April just there. Been hard going at but definitely improving, hoping it will stand me in good stead come the nicer conditions.

Not sure if I should start entering medals to obtain my handicap. Not sure if it would improve me, or destroy my confidence. Hard to know how well I'm playing at the moment due to the shite conditions. We'll see...

Looking forward to the light nights, not far away now.

Try to think positively about your own game - shot choice, posture, swing, grip etc and avoid blaming your score on the conditions.  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.formosa.co.nz/en/

Played this course yesterday for the second time.  
Had a 91 the first time and managed 86 yesterday less 14 = 72 par.  :thumsup2
Its a cracking course with a few lovely individual holes but sadly the whole course could do with a bit more maintenance than its getting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, gavin_3110 said:

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me mate. Under 100 is good for me, playing on a par 71 course. Only scored under 90 once, when I nipped 89 in perfect conditions.

I've not really kept scores over the winter as it would just be demoralizing. I've been playing at Crow Wood or Westerwood, both of which are really wet underfoot at the moment so you get no run whatsoever and end up hacking about most of the time.

I play better when I just take my medicine and take say two good middle irons to get me in close, rather than a duffed drive and a hack out some rough to get me to the same point...

I played Westerwood quite a few times in the summer but it was getting very wet underfoot even by September. I started playing at Playsport East Kilbride after that, it's only a 9 hole but because it's up high it stays in really good condition in the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get to the Coast and get on the links if you want winter golf. Play at Barassie in Troon and we've had full greens for 95% of the winter. Certainly slow compared to summer but still run pretty true. There's always good deals on from Oct-Mar aswell.

Really need to get down and practice more this year, no excuses, live and work about 10 mins away from the course. At 8.6 atm, hopefully get that down under 8.3, that'll be best i've been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming back to form.
Had a 6 over par 75 that included 4 birdies but only 5 pars.
My handicap is currently 12.0 so that's going to be cut. 
:P

photo.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ended up at Monifieth today. 55 in, 55 out. 110.

I was going to say yesterday you'd be better coming down here for a game as piperdam might not be in great condition with the rain.
What did you think of the course? Aside from playing off matts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...