Golfers Thread

Gaz

Season over, 11.2. Started the season on 14 with my handicap. Two stupid rounds the last couple of weeks having not hit a ball in 5 previously has given me 2x0.1. Do some graft over the winter in the quest for single figures - maybe even invest in a 3 wood to fill the driver - hybrid gap in my bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Season over for me. Played a huge amount of competitive golf by way of medals, stablefords etc.

Started at 7.5 went up to 8.2 and then got down to an all-time low of 6.7 before ending the season at 7.1.

Pretty pleased with the season given after 40+ years of golf handicap 7 is the lowest I`ve been and it took me until 2009 to finally reach single figures.

Target next year to get down to 6 if possible.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, mojito said:

Season is done but I'm still playing in the winter league matches.

Quite a competitive league with visits to some really good courses keeps the interest levels up in this weather.

Anyone else still plodding round?

Yeah i try and play as much as possible during winter,dont tend to stray to far from my home track though

I posted that just as he drove wildly off target on the 9th. If he can get out and play with no pain etc then, scoring aside, it will be a successful return.

The first 8 holes showed that the talent is still there, it's a case of knocking off the rust.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/12/2016 at 01:13, expatowner said:

I'm still hanging onto my 11 handicap by the skin of my teeth.
I really need to be more positive in almost every aspect of play.  
Any tips?

Practice your short game.

If you are regularly in trouble off the tee then leave the driver in the boot of your car.

On 12/23/2016 at 11:31, Distant Doonhamer said:

Practice your short game.

If you are regularly in trouble off the tee then leave the driver in the boot of your car.

Thing is I regularly go for an hours practice on my short game and it all seems pretty solid, but when I'm playing it all seems to go out the window. 
I cannae fathom it at all.

8 minutes ago, expatowner said:

Thing is I regularly go for an hours practice on my short game and it all seems pretty solid, but when I'm playing it all seems to go out the window. 
I cannae fathom it at all.

Stick with it and as Cowden loyal says think happy thoughts. 

If you can play to 11 you have clearly got ability. You`ll be fine,

• 2 weeks later...

Alright chaps,

I'm looking to buy a new set of irons and just looking for recommendations if anyone has bought recently.

Using some old Adams irons just now, I do quite like them but they're well past their best with a mismatch of different shafts and grooves that are well worn away. I play at least once a week, more if I get the chance, so a nicer set will certainly be money well spent. 

I'm quite new to the game, only started in April so still pretty poor, only cracked 90 a couple of times on some reasonably easy courses. With that in mind, forgiveness is the name of the game, I don't really get along with hybrid clubs for some reason, so more after a set of 3 or 4-PW. 

Need to be graphite, I have some pins in my elbow and although I prefer the feel of steel shafts the vibrations cause me a bit of nerve pain if I play more than a round a week. 

Probably want to buy second hand and keep under about £250 if possible, cheaper the better. Not at all fussed about brand.

Cheers

Plumped for a set of Ping G15s with regular Ping Graphite Shafts, got them second hand for £115 for 5-PW which I think is pretty good going! Was willing to spend a fair bit more, but tried them out and got on really well with them.

Use an ancient Ping G2 driver and love it because it's so easy to hit, so hopefully I get on equally well with these.

• 3 weeks later...

I played well today in a match-play competition. Started well and got 4 up quickly and then traded halves and odd holes to hold on for a 5up with 4 to play.
The most pleasing aspect was my short play, which if not spectacular, was definitely solid. [emoji1]
I'm still hanging onto my 11 handicap on my local course.

handicap 001.jpg

Edited by expatowner