Golfers Thread

Gaz

I'm going to glasgow next weekend for golf and booze weekend with some mates, of mixed abilities. Any suggestions for reasonable but cheap courses not too far from the centre?

We're driving up from kintyre and currently looking at playing Dumbarton, Vale of leven, Cardross or Helensburgh on the Friday then Renfrew or Paisley on the Saturday.

Using teeofftimes.co.uk for cheap rates

All ideas welcome

I'm going to glasgow next weekend for golf and booze weekend with some mates, of mixed abilities. Any suggestions for reasonable but cheap courses not too far from the centre?

We're driving up from kintyre and currently looking at playing Dumbarton, Vale of leven, Cardross or Helensburgh on the Friday then Renfrew or Paisley on the Saturday.

Using teeofftimes.co.uk for cheap rates

All ideas welcome

Paisley Bushes? If so, I'd recommend it. Love the course. Also played renfrew and it's good, but I found it a bit of a slog off the whites.

• 3 weeks later...
The odds on Woods announcing his retirement in the coming months have surely just shortened a fair bit.

Said for a while that i don't think he'll ever come back, he's only ever going to return if he thinks he can actually compete, there's no way he is going to play just to make up the numbers. I don't think either his body or his game will be strong enough to get close to everyone else on a regular basis.

Realised last week I had only played 6 medals all season and hadn't played since 6 August. Made the effort to play last Wed, Sat and Wed.

Finished in the money last Wed in windy conditions.
Then on Saturday hit the ball like a champ but couldn't putt to save myself - 9 greens in regulation and 6 birdie chances from 10ft and in all squandered. Only managed a -0.2 down to 6.6 but should have been far better.

Wednesday was a different story. Everything seemed to come together as I shot a 70-7=63 (CSS:70) so that's me down to 5.3.

Having been stuck on 7 the last few years it's quite fitting that I played well and still didn't get to 6.

Delighted to finish the season on a high. Down 1.7 for the year with 7 of my 9 medals being buffer or better. Regretting not playing more this season...

14 hours ago, Cowshed Chris said:

Realised last week I had only played 6 medals all season and hadn't played since 6 August. Made the effort to play last Wed, Sat and Wed.

Finished in the money last Wed in windy conditions.
Then on Saturday hit the ball like a champ but couldn't putt to save myself - 9 greens in regulation and 6 birdie chances from 10ft and in all squandered. Only managed a -0.2 down to 6.6 but should have been far better.

Wednesday was a different story. Everything seemed to come together as I shot a 70-7=63 (CSS:70) so that's me down to 5.3.

Having been stuck on 7 the last few years it's quite fitting that I played well and still didn't get to 6.

Delighted to finish the season on a high. Down 1.7 for the year with 7 of my 9 medals being buffer or better. Regretting not playing more this season...

Good work. :thumsup2

I`ve had a decent season getting down to an all-time low of 6.7. Currently at 6.9.

Been lucky enough to make it through to the Perth & Kinross county pairs final weekend this weekend. After negotiating 3 out of 4 ties away from home ( including defeating last year's winners in the quarters away) we head to play the semi final at gullane number 1 tomorrow morning . After the match we all check into the renaissance club where we are on dinner bed and breakfast , then Sunday morning we play the final or third/fourth match round the renaissance course. Then it's back for more food and prize giving. Should be a cracking weekend whatever happens and getting to play two new courses along the way. Not bad for a tenner entry. Anyone played either course ??

8 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Been lucky enough to make it through to the Perth & Kinross county pairs final weekend this weekend. After negotiating 3 out of 4 ties away from home ( including defeating last year's winners in the quarters away) we head to play the semi final at gullane number 1 tomorrow morning . After the match we all check into the renaissance club where we are on dinner bed and breakfast , then Sunday morning we play the final or third/fourth match round the renaissance course. Then it's back for more food and prize giving. Should be a cracking weekend whatever happens and getting to play two new courses along the way. Not bad for a tenner entry. Anyone played either course ??

Great stuff. I`ve played Gullane 1, excellent course.

Enjoy the weekend. :thumsup2

Great stuff. I`ve played Gullane 1, excellent course.

Enjoy the weekend. :thumsup2

Cheers. Gullane 1 is probably the second best course I've played behind carnoustie. Such a fair course with some stunning holes. Probably helps that came from 2 down to win 2 up with birdies at 13, 16 and 18.

The other semi final was two plus 1 handicaps against at 2 and a 10 handicap. The 2 handicap shot 8 birdies and 1 bogey in 15 holes to win 5 and 3 [emoji33] .
Better ball score through 15 holes was 16 under Par. Was the calmest weather you could imagine but still, that's crazy golf.

Hopefully they have used all their good golf up and we can pip them in the final.

On 23/10/2016 at 08:09, perthsaint1977 said:

Cheers. Gullane 1 is probably the second best course I've played behind carnoustie. Such a fair course with some stunning holes. Probably helps that came from 2 down to win 2 up with birdies at 13, 16 and 18.

The other semi final was two plus 1 handicaps against at 2 and a 10 handicap. The 2 handicap shot 8 birdies and 1 bogey in 15 holes to win 5 and 3 emoji33.png .
Better ball score through 15 holes was 16 under Par. Was the calmest weather you could imagine but still, that's crazy golf.

Hopefully they have used all their good golf up and we can pip them in the final.

How did it go ?

How did it go ?

Managed to win [emoji85] . Two down through 6 in the final. Level with 3 to play and I won 16 and 17 for the win. Pretty crazy course at the renaissance club. It was immense bit greens lightening and had pretty average weather with strong gusts . Played some of the best golf of my career ( think my score was used 14 out of 17). Amazing weekend and to win was the icing on the cake !!

18 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Managed to win emoji85.png . Two down through 6 in the final. Level with 3 to play and I won 16 and 17 for the win. Pretty crazy course at the renaissance club. It was immense bit greens lightening and had pretty average weather with strong gusts . Played some of the best golf of my career ( think my score was used 14 out of 17). Amazing weekend and to win was the icing on the cake !!

Great stuff. Well done.