Golfers Thread

Gaz

On 12/08/2016 at 09:14, towner_21 said:

Just started playing again after a good 15 years, what would you lot recommend as a good starter set. managed to pick up a full set of Dunlop tours for 40 quid which I use at the moment but would like to upgrade soon.

I'm probably in a similar position to you, I started golfing this year, had played a wee bit until I was 14 or 15. Basically starting again from scratch. I really looked for maximum forgiveness.

I tinkered about with clubs before settling on what I use now. Everything I've picked up has been either second hand or just cheap! Like me, you'll probably find that the technology has moved on considerably and quality second hand clubs are much more affordable with the advent of sites like eBay and Gumtree...

I use Wilson LCG Graphite Irons for 5-PW, a new, cheap set. I wasn't adverse to spending a bit more than I did on these, but they seem to suit me really well. I really struggled to launch the ball and a set like this which is really aimed at beginners helped me. The irons all have thick soles and the weight is well back in them. Prior to this I was using a set of Adams A7 irons which I still have. Better clubs in theory, but I feel much more confident with the cheaper Wilsons at the moment.

I've found hybrid clubs to be great and something you might benefit from the same way I did. My second hand Titleist 910H is probably my most used club and can be had fairly cheap on eBay. It's so easy to hit and great out of the rough.

My wedges and fairway wood are from a company called MD golf, their equipment is great quality for the price and well worth looking at. Not sure if you're near Livingston or Tillicoultry but there are outlet shops there which stock their stuff, I noticed they had a full set of MD Icon irons from 5-PW for £99, looked an absolutely cracking buy. My wedges were £25 each and are amazing quality for the money.

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/equipment/golf-clubs/irons/md-golf/icon/md-golf-icon-game-improver-irons/

Any recommendations on wedges?  I currently only have a gap and my sand but I've never really gotten to feel for my sand wedge and thinking of getting a lob wedge as currently I only carry 13 clubs.

What loft is on the gap wedge? I've got a 58 degree Mizuno lob wedge that has been one of the best buys I've ever made.

4 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Any recommendations on wedges?  I currently only have a gap and my sand but I've never really gotten to feel for my sand wedge and thinking of getting a lob wedge as currently I only carry 13 clubs.

I used a 64 degree for about a month. In that month I think I hit it properly off the fairway around twice, the rest of the time was about a 200 yard thin. Have made do with a 56 degree sand wedge since. Found the lob wedge useless on anything other than really soft ground.

11 hours ago, peasy23 said:

What loft is on the gap wedge? I've got a 58 degree Mizuno lob wedge that has been one of the best buys I've ever made.

I was thinking about 58/60.

8 hours ago, fanny paddery said:

I used a 64 degree for about a month. In that month I think I hit it properly off the fairway around twice, the rest of the time was about a 200 yard thin. Have made do with a 56 degree sand wedge since. Found the lob wedge useless on anything other than really soft ground.

My SW is 54. Never really got the feel for it. So I'd probably be looking at a 54/56Sw and a 58/60Lw

I personally carry a PW (47 deg), a 54 and a 60.
I also have a 58 which generally doesn't leave the locker.

This range seems to work fairly well for me. The 54 is suitable for the majority of pitch shots with the 60 reserved for bunkers and where I need to stop it quickly.

On 08/09/2016 at 23:59, peasy23 said:

My apologies mate, I miss read you.  My gap wedge is 48.5.

7 hours ago, Cowshed Chris said:

I personally carry a PW (47 deg), a 54 and a 60.
I also have a 58 which generally doesn't leave the locker.

This range seems to work fairly well for me. The 54 is suitable for the majority of pitch shots with the 60 reserved for bunkers and where I need to stop it quickly.

What make of wedges?