Golfers Thread

Gaz

My first 18 holes will have been around 120 I guess, I was only 8 at the time.

Best score in relation to par is 3 under (with a 3 putt which still annoys me to this day), best numerical score is 64 (on a par 66 so only 2 under).

My best score is 86 my worst is 115 :o

Im normally round in the early nineties and Im off 23.

I find it so different playing with a card in your hand I was 41 at the turn in a medal and came back in 56 :(

The pressure of it all.

I'm not saying book a whole series of lessons, but three or four sessions with a qualified pro will at least ensure you have a decent grip and some semblance of a stance and swing.

I took five lessons with a coach when I was a beginner and it made a big difference. I was hitting the ball further on a regular basis and began to feel I was getting somewhere. Of course, playing on a weekly basis improved my game as well and I started to get a feel for the difference clubs and how hard I should be hitting the ball. Chipping and putting becomes a lot easier if you are prepared to practise.

I just wanted to get to the stage where I could enjoy a social round of golf with colleages without making a tit of myself on the course. I'm not bothered about getting a handicap or playing in tournaments.

Edited by centralparker

I wonder if I know either of you two guys?

I played at Monifieth for years and years, out of the Broughty club, I actually came back up and played in the 18 hole open last month.

Played in a few Junior County things as well.

Currently offf 4.7, should have got down to 3.something this season but the football started and I stopped playing nearly so much.

Doubt it ... i was never a member at Monfieth, just played in the county youths there once and the 36 hole open a couple of times in the mid to late 90s. I play(ed) at Kirriemuir

I'm definitely going to get back into golf next year, where I'll play I don't know as I don't know where I'll be living. Was a member of Clydebank & District aka Hardgate but the course itself bored me to tears (only the 4th, 15th, and 18th were enjoyable holes with risk / reward) and I didn't renew my membership when I went to NZ.

Anyone here play a course in the Glasgow area other than the munis? (and there's nothing wrong with that if you do)

Edited by Fuctifano

I desperately need to work on my putting. Getting on the green in 2 regularly now, but then 3 or 4 putting. :(

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I seem to putt better when I don't bother reading them, just go with a wee look at the turf then pop - sometimes even go in but when I am 20 yards out or so, I always end up thinking too much about them either hitting too soft or too hard, usually too soft.

Edited by Kejan

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I seem to putt better when I don't bother reading them, just go with a wee look at the turf then pop - sometimes even go in but when I am 20 yards out or so, I always end up thinking too much about them either hitting too soft or too hard, usually too soft.

Don't you find aswell that if you hit it too soft the first putt, you hit it far too hard the second because you're overcompensating? It drives me crazy!

You have to learn how to read a green. It is the most important thing to learn when playing golf. If you can read the green and put a goos stroke on it you should generelly get it close to the hole, better players will eventually start holing most of them

This year has really pissed me off as I have reached the point where I am not improving my game the weather has not helped either.

Im actually considering giving next year a miss I think the worse thing I have done is start to play in the competitions every week without the odd bounce game its not relaxing at all.

Due to work,weather and study I have missed a right few games and I dont feel I have got value for my £450 this year.

Has anyone ever reached the point in their game were they are at stalemate.

I think I either need lessons or a new course or stop taking it so feckin seriously.Plus the fact the two guys I play with every weekend are single handicappers and im off 23.Any advice would be appreciated.

Has anyone ever reached the point in their game were they are at stalemate.

Definitely, I was an 11 handicap when I was a skinny runt of a 16-year-old mainly due to being razor sharp around the greens and not hitting the ball far enough to hit it wildly off-line. I had no illusions of turning pro but I thought as I'd fill out a bit, get stronger and hit the ball further I'd get down to 5 or 6- as it is 10 years later I'm now off 12!

I agree 100% with what you're saying about playing only in the medals though- I'm normally pretty competitive but playing only medal golf caused me to fall out of love with it a bit in the last couple of years- I'd much rather play a bounce game and have a laugh, not take 4.5 hours to grind out a net 75.

Playing with good players is (normally) better for your game than playing with not-so-good players though- I always found I upped my game when I was playing with a category 1 player. That said, if you're playing with guys of similar standard you might feel better about yourself if you're winning on the scratch score of your 3-ball.

If you've hit a plateau, the obvious answer is lessons / practice, especially from 60 yards in. Everyone knows that it's where you make up most of your shots but it's too easy to get worked up about your long game.

Heh, I didn't realise that this thread had been moved!

Went to the driving range for the first time last weekend to hit a hundred balls.

Started off fairly poorly - a few wild air swings and sliced quite a few shots that I did manage to hit the ball with - but towards the end I started aiming for one of the target greens with the 8, 9 and PW. Pleased to say that I was hitting it more often than not.

I finish Uni at 12 today so I'm thinking of going back this afternoon.

Went back this afternoon. Decided to concentrate mostly on my short irons so I took a 7 and the PW.

Hitting it sweetly about 70%-80% of the time now so very happy with that.

I agree 100% with what you're saying about playing only in the medals though- I'm normally pretty competitive but playing only medal golf caused me to fall out of love with it a bit in the last couple of years- I'd much rather play a bounce game and have a laugh, not take 4.5 hours to grind out a net 75.

Playing with good players is (normally) better for your game than playing with not-so-good players though- I always found I upped my game when I was playing with a category 1 player. That said, if you're playing with guys of similar standard you might feel better about yourself if you're winning on the scratch score of your 3-ball.

If you've hit a plateau, the obvious answer is lessons / practice, especially from 60 yards in. Everyone knows that it's where you make up most of your shots but it's too easy to get worked up about your long game.

Thansk for the advice Im gonna bite the bullit and get a lesson package off Santa.There is a tendency to either change clubs or course when you are at this stage but you are just kidding yourself on.

I dont think it is helping my game now playing with single figure players in the medals it did initially but not anymore.

Im also gonna play more bounce games with less competitive mates and start to enjoy golf more instaed of trying all the time.

Went out today in the monthly medal and shot +4. Was level par after 14 then bogeyed the last 4 holes :angry: Still got a couple of magic 2's though some i'm in the money and managed to take 0.4 off my handicap. Not a bad way to round off the season :D

Do any of you golfers out there know any courses that will have decent offers on for winter golf? I'm looking for full courses to play on at a decent rate. My one will no doubt have winter tees and greens before long so it's really a bit shit.

Went out today in the monthly medal and shot +4. Was level par after 14 then bogeyed the last 4 holes :angry: Still got a couple of magic 2's though some i'm in the money and managed to take 0.4 off my handicap. Not a bad way to round off the season :D

Do any of you golfers out there know any courses that will have decent offers on for winter golf? I'm looking for full courses to play on at a decent rate. My one will no doubt have winter tees and greens before long so it's really a bit shit.

the Charleton near Leven or Drumoig. Both have good winter deals and the greens are magic. We've used these 2 courses for years.

Drumoig normally £25 a head including buggies (must have a 4 ball)

Charleton was £15 last year, it has USGA greens and they never go onto winter greens.

• 1 month later...