Golfers Thread

Gaz

Planning a golfing break for later in the year. Possible venues, Elgin, Nairn and possibly others in the region.

Any tips on other good courses plus best base re eats and drinkies gratefully received.

Edit to add we played Castle Stuart and Grantown on Spey last year and had a fine time with a good night out in inverness eating at The Kitchen. Could easily do something similar but open to alternative plans,

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Planning a golfing break for later in the year. Possible venues, Elgin, Nairn and possibly others in the region.

Any tips on other good courses plus best base re eats and drinkies gratefully received.

Edit to add we played Castle Stuart and Grantown on Spey last year and had a fine time with a good night out in inverness eating at The Kitchen. Could easily do something similar but open to alternative plans,

I'd recommend Elgin. Good course with a nice clubhouse set up.

Moray at Lossiemouth is also a good course. A bit of a less obvious option in the area is Hopeman which has a cracking back 9 with one fantastic par 3.

I'd recommend Elgin. Good course with a nice clubhouse set up.
Moray at Lossiemouth is also a good course. A bit of a less obvious option in the area is Hopeman which has a cracking back 9 with one fantastic par 3.

I’ll vouch for Hopeman, fantastic course

IMG_1650.jpg

This is their “signature” hole, definitely worth playing if you get the chance

• 2 weeks later...

Richie Ramsay 2 off the lead at the halfway stage of the Qatar Open in Doha. It might be the worst greens I've ever seen at a tour event, this is just one example, but just about every green has been obviously patched.20190308_111617.jpg

I'm going to stop posting about Scots doing well during tourneys, seems to be the kiss of death for them.

Good performance by the Europeans at Bay Hill in the Arnold Palmer Invitational. Molinari hit a brilliant closing 64 to win by 2 from Fitzpatrick. Fleetwood, Cabrera Bello, Wallace and McIlroy also in the top 10. Paul Azinger has taken over from Johnny Miller, and proved himself to be just as thick with his comments after Molinari holed a monster birdie putt on the last. "He won't have had many moments bigger than this one in his career." I guess winning the Open and going 5-0 in the Ryder Cup is just small fry stuff.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

I'm going to stop posting about Scots doing well during tourneys, seems to be the kiss of death for them.

Good performance by the Europeans at Bay Hill in the Arnold Palmer Invitational. Molinari hit a brilliant closing 64 to win by 2 from Fitzpatrick. Fleetwood, Cabrera Bello, Wallace and McIlroy also in the top 10. Paul Azinger has taken over from Johnny Miller, and proved himself to be just as thick with his comments after Molinari holed a monster birdie putt on the last. "He won't have had many moments bigger than this one in his career." I guess winning the Open and going 5-0 in the Ryder Cup is just small fry stuff.

I like Azinger but that`s a particularly dumb comment from him there.

Paul Azinger has taken over from Johnny Miller, and proved himself to be just as thick with his comments after Molinari holed a monster birdie putt on the last. "He won't have had many moments bigger than this one in his career." I guess winning the Open and going 5-0 in the Ryder Cup is just small fry stuff.

Yeah but this is Bay Hill! Arnie's tourney! The major not based in the States pales in comparison!

It was an excellent tournament for the Europeans in general, dominating the top 10. The only downside was Rory hitting reverse in the final round as per usual.

Yeah but this is Bay Hill! Arnie's tourney! The major not based in the States pales in comparison!

It was an excellent tournament for the Europeans in general, dominating the top 10. The only downside was Rory hitting reverse in the final round as per usual.
Definitely another chance missed for Rory, especially on a course that he seems to like and play well on. Just hit too many poor shots, but he wasn't the only one who seemed to slip up once Molinari had posted his -12 total.

Before Peasy comes on and jinxes it, Russell Knox is currently well placed at Sawgrass and Liam Johnston is inside the top 10 at the Kenya open.

After going 71-73-70 for his first 3 rounds, Robert McIntyre hit a 63 this morning in Kenya to lift himself up to 14th at the moment. Liam Johnston a few holes in and is tied for 6th, 4 off the lead.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

After going 71-73-70 for his first 3 rounds, Robert McIntyre hit a 63 this morning in Kenya to lift himself up to 14th at the moment. Liam Johnston a few holes in and is tied for 6th, 4 off the lead.

Johnston finishes 8th and MacIntyre ends up tied 17th I think. Decent weeks for both.