Golfers Thread

Gaz

One of my pals regularly says that golf can be an absolute pain in the arse as you trudge round the course, bogey, double bogey, bogey, sclaffed tee shot....

...but then you hit an absolute zinger of a drive or drop the ball next to the pin or hole that enormous putt from miles out and it makes up for everything.

Having spent an hour at Braids driving range on Tuesday night slicing a good few shots with the fairway woods I then unleashed a belter of a shot with my 3 wood that looked like it travelled well over 200 yards and almost perfectly straight as well.

I'm sure plenty of folk here will be smashing their balls (oo er) further than me but for me it was one of the best shots I had made since I started getting back the into game.  After a good few poor efforts that one cracker of a hit left me feeling all warm inside as I headed home :) 

On 14/08/2018 at 14:49, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

You may well be right. You may not.

My view is only my own opinion. I don't like the man, simple as that. I concede that its an absolute circus that follows him around, and everything he does bad and good is amplified 10 fold but I just always think he looks as if he's going to burst into tears.
I for one would certainly not tire of punching him.

Oh yeah he's a c**t of a man but a magnificent golfer, and if he does win more majors it would be an absolutely incredible story and achievement.  To come from where he has and go through what he has and get back to the top would be absolutely stunning, a rocky-esque story more worthy of Hollywood than reality, and would confirm he's the greatest there's ever been.

Fwiw I think people forget how good tiger actually was.  He won 14 majors by age 32, that's absolutely breathtaking.  All these guys now that we think are players DJ spieth McIlroy koepka woods absolutely shits all over them, not one of them is fit to clean his clubs.

Ended up playing Muir of ord, was okay quite nice wee course some decent holes.  Not really the views I'd hoped for but was a nice day.  Played quite well gf played well (75 and 101) enjoyed it but should have gone for fortrose imo.

Also played spean bridge nine holer as we saw it driving past.  Wouldn't bother lol, it's awful.

Oh yeah he's a c**t of a man but a magnificent golfer, and if he does win more majors it would be an absolutely incredible story and achievement.  To come from where he has and go through what he has and get back to the top would be absolutely stunning, a rocky-esque story more worthy of Hollywood than reality, and would confirm he's the greatest there's ever been.
Fwiw I think people forget how good tiger actually was.  He won 14 majors by age 32, that's absolutely breathtaking.  All these guys now that we think are players DJ spieth McIlroy koepka woods absolutely shits all over them, not one of them is fit to clean his clubs.
See that's the bit that makes me despise the man, its the media party line of "amazing comeback" and "fairytale" etc. People seem too misty eyed to remember, it was all his fault. If he'd have kept wee tiger in his pants he'd probably have racked up over 20 majors by now.
I totally agree about being the best golfer ever though, and he single handedly changed golf as we know it.
Brandt Snedeker has shot a 59 at the Wyndham Championships in the States.
Just seen his card and he was +1 after 3 holes [emoji38]
Seen that, an absolute beast of a round tbf.
They greens look absolutely rapid as well.

3 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

See that's the bit that makes me despise the man, its the media party line of "amazing comeback" and "fairytale" etc. People seem too misty eyed to remember, it was all his fault. If he'd have kept wee tiger in his pants he'd probably have racked up over 20 majors by now.
I totally agree about being the best golfer ever though, and he single handedly changed golf as we know it.Seen that, an absolute beast of a round tbf.
They greens look absolutely rapid as well.

It's because his body was completely fucked and he had fallen to about two thousandth in the world rankings. He's had four back surgeries, you don't generally play golf after your spine has been fused let alone win majors.

On 05/08/2018 at 22:12, Distant Doonhamer said:

Carrbridge is in a beautiful setting.

Due to play Grantown on Spey next week. We have a 4 ball for the princely sum of £105.

It`s on the way home from playing Castle Stuart the previous day. Really looking forward to that.  Also staying in Inverness for 1 night so any tips re good eating places welcome.

On 06/08/2018 at 08:22, RiG said:

Rajah is good if you fancy some Indian grub but I'll always suggest The Kitchen. Great local produce and a decent selection of whisky as well if you want to celebrate a good round by having a dram.

Thanks for the tip re The Kitchen. Had an excellent meal there last night. Food was very good, lovely wine and staff were great.

Really enjoyed Castle Stuart. Great course in a magnificent setting.  Whole day was just great.

Enjoyed Grantown-on-Spey today. A few too many blind shots for my liking especially as none of us had ever played there before. That said course in good condition albeit greens slow. Good value.

Another disappointing weekend for Scots on the European Tour. Scott Jamieson, Bradley Neil and Marc Warren were all well up the leaderboard in Sweden, with Jamieson tied for the lead after 36 holes. They've all had poor weekends though.

Oleson has gone above Poulter in the Ryder Cup rankings, but there are still 2 weeks to go.

Finally had a good round with a card in hand today. Went round in 79 for a net 70. CSS looks like being 73 so should be back down to 8.5. As ever a feeling of could have been better with 3 double bogeys, but only 2 bogeys to add to the 13 pars. So all in all a good day after what seemed like endless 0.1 increases. :P

Edit to add the CSS ended up being 72 so down to 8.7 rather than 8.5. :thumbsdown Still a good day though. :P

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Finally had a good round with a card in hand today. Went round in 79 for a net 70. CSS looks like being 73 so should be back down to 8.5. As ever a feeling of could have been better with 3 double bogeys, but only 2 bogeys to add to the 13 pars. So all in all a good day after what seemed like endless 0.1 increases. [emoji14]
Iv been playing stinking last few rounds went up to 19, yesterdays medal was really bad in the wind and rain I just couldn't get going at all 51/46 my past 5 cards the front 9 has been terrible and I'm mid to low 40s on the back, think im going to give more time to warming up and practice before

Sergio Garcia was handily placed to get the top 20 finish he needed to get into the FedEx playoffs, but he had a level par 70 to finish which saw him slide to 24th. He now has to rely on a captain's pick for the Ryder Cup as there isn't enough points on offer in Europe in the next couple of weeks, and he can't score any more on the world list.

Oleson is in the final world spot, but will be vying with Poulter and Casey over the next couple of weeks to hold on to it.

Had a very pleasant round at Shiskine on Arran yesterday morning.  Teed off at the back of 8 and had the place to myself.  It was glorious.  Played very well (for me) as well.  Even had an eagle putt on the short par 4 8th after putting my tee shot on the green.  Left it short :(.

IMG_20180819_092254~01.jpg

IMG_20180819_084501~01.jpg

IMG_20180819_082636~01.jpg

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Had a very pleasant round at Shiskine on Arran yesterday morning.  Teed off at the back of 8 and had the place to myself.  It was glorious.  Played very well (for me) as well.  Even had an eagle putt on the short par 4 8th after putting my tee shot on the green.  Left it short [emoji20].
5b7a8373a7fe3_IMG_20180819_09225401.jpg.6156b35251919251413341e2c7f5c3f9.jpg
5b7a8390bddf2_IMG_20180819_08450101.jpg.9ec12fff7a1dd6a4f48d3073a7c49444.jpg
5b7a83a47a44d_IMG_20180819_08263601.jpg.c96f644615d19f6e0a08c7cd40e174a9.jpg
Nice setting, I love going round on an empty course taking my time and relaxing I always play my best golf on those days

9 minutes ago, cas79 said:
40 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:
Had a very pleasant round at Shiskine on Arran yesterday morning.  Teed off at the back of 8 and had the place to myself.  It was glorious.  Played very well (for me) as well.  Even had an eagle putt on the short par 4 8th after putting my tee shot on the green.  Left it short emoji20.png.

Nice setting, I love going round on an empty course taking my time and relaxing I always play my best golf on those days

It's always when there's never anyone to see it!  I played 2 balls most of the way round.  Had a wee game with myself where one ball I was more aggressive and went for the green rather than laying up.  The other I played the more conservative shots.  No guessing which one scored better. 

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Sergio Garcia was handily placed to get the top 20 finish he needed to get into the FedEx playoffs, but he had a level par 70 to finish which saw him slide to 24th. He now has to rely on a captain's pick for the Ryder Cup as there isn't enough points on offer in Europe in the next couple of weeks, and he can't score any more on the world list.

Oleson is in the final world spot, but will be vying with Poulter and Casey over the next couple of weeks to hold on to it.

I would think that all 3 will make the team in any case, one in an automatic spot and two as picks. For me Cabrera-Bello is also a very likely pick. That would leave the final spot between the likes of Knox, Garcia, Pieters and perhaps Pepperell. Still a couple of weeks to go though. I suspect Knox will need a very big result in Fed-Ex to make it. Hope he does though.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Had a very pleasant round at Shiskine on Arran yesterday morning.  Teed off at the back of 8 and had the place to myself.  It was glorious.  Played very well (for me) as well.  Even had an eagle putt on the short par 4 8th after putting my tee shot on the green.  Left it short [emoji20].
That's a quality setting. I'm sure the book I read recently "a course called Scotland" the author Tom Coyne speaks fondly of it, IIRC.
Yep, love a solo round, no-one directly in front or behind.
I'm going to go do that today, try to play more conservatively, slow every thing down and get back to lowering my cards, I'll play the 2 balls to for a comparison
Its no surprise my best round this year has been where I've really stopped to think about shots. Properly looked at putts. Even lining up a line on the ball with where I want to hit it (certainly helped me) but I always feel hurried when there are people behind me and don't do this enough when I'm on my own.