Golfers Thread

Gaz

Anybody played The Bruce or the Montgomery in Kinross before? Heading there to play them over the weekend.

Yes, but it's been quite a while. It was originally one course then they bought the land round about and built another 18 holes, but what they did was to split the original course in two so you have a mixture of older more established holes with lots of mature trees, along with the newer holes. Two good courses and it was always in great condition on the 4 or 5 times I played there.

Yes, but it's been quite a while. It was originally one course then they bought the land round about and built another 18 holes, but what they did was to split the original course in two so you have a mixture of older more established holes with lots of mature trees, along with the newer holes. Two good courses and it was always in great condition on the 4 or 5 times I played there.

Excellent cheers for that. 16 of us going and playing a Ryder cup format over 2 days so really looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

+0.1 at the medal today puts me back to 17.5, or 18 to round it up fully. Absolutely seething, I played some awful golf and had to make some amount of tricky 8-10 foot putts to stop the rot even further. Almost every hole had one properly rubbish shot.

To add to the pain, thanks to the changes to the golf club's online competition database, my 10 at the 5th is there for all to see :( serves me right for giving it billy big baws on P&B when I got a cut!

After having a wee read through the thread I thought I would share my recent experiences.

After a 10 year hiatus, I have recently got back to playing golf. I really enjoyed it when I was younger but didn't really have the time or the patience to make a go of it and take it seriously, and other commitments soon took priority. I guess it was the recent Open at St Andrews that inspired me again. I sat down and watched it (having never taken an interest in watching golf on tv in my puff) and I was hooked, and felt the urge to get back into it. I had taken lessons when I was a junior so I had all the basics in place, so just needed some clubs.

To cut a long story short, I played my first round (9 holes) with my girlfriend's dad a few weeks ago, borrowing a spare set of his clubs. Having not picked up a club in over a decade, I stepped up to the first tee with this huge driver, and placed the tee almost at ground level. Well, the massive chunk of turf traveled further than the ball. But I soon developed a rhythm and a more effective club choice (hitting a 5 wood off the tee), and actually parred two holes out of the nine, and didn't embarrass myself on the others. It went as well as I could have hoped for. The main issue I had was a huge slicing problem which I managed to resolve in time for my next round with the help of some quick Googling.

The next round went even better and although I didn't manage to par any holes, my shots were far more consistent. No lost balls (compared to the two that vanished first time round) and almost certain I scored better (none of our group were keeping score, which I will soon start to do to get a better idea of my progress).

My dad had an old set of clubs in the loft which he very kindly donated to me. A set of McGregor irons, Wilson woods and a fairly standard putter (I believe he has long since upgraded). Tested them at the driving range this morning and they felt a lot lighter than the Donnay ones I had been borrowing previously. Will get to try them out tomorrow (doing the full 18 holes for the first time) and really looking forward to it.

Enjoyed reading everyone else's experiences and I'll be looking at hybrids and a new putter in due course. For now though I'm just finding my feet again and thoroughly enjoying it.

If anyone has any input regarding my experiences then please do share. Very much going back to basics and would appreciate any advice that could be of use.

Won my first medal last week! 95 (nett 68 ). And got cut to 25.1. Chuffed :-).

Fraser_smfc pleased for you that you have rediscovered the game I have come into quite late (37) and while it frustrates the hell out of me I am overall happy that I took the plunge.

One of the old boys at my club said to me "it's not a game it's a disease" and I think he's right. I find myself thinking about my swing or putting constantly!

Good luck

Edited by happysouth

37 points in Saturday stableford. Scored at every hole with no worse than a bogey on my card. Pleasing :P

Will be down to 8.1 or even 7.9 depending on CSS.

Played in sweep today and 37 points again.

Quite spooky in that I scored identically in 16/18 holes today as i did yesterday.

Only difference was at 3rd and 4th where yesterday I went 4,4 and today went 3,5.

Two rounds with no worse than a bogey and gross 78 each day. Well chuffed.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I won at stabbleford yesterday at Scoonie, Leven with 40 points.

I finished 15 over par with 2 triple bogeys.

Our last outing is Spey Valley (I'm guessing the spelling)

I have never heard of this place or know where it is, anyone played or been?

Up in aviemore, sounds like a nice course. Was supposed to be going up later this month but don't think it's happening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I promise to get a P&B golf day sorted for next year. Probably somewhere quite short, easy and cheap rather than somewhere prestigious so that people of all abilities feel like they can compete.

Aberdour in Fife is a good shout for that. Good mix of easy/hard holes, fantastic views across the Forth and great hospitality.

Obviously, location not ideal for everyone in P&B land.