Golfers Thread

Gaz

I'm looking to try and get my Dad a round in the old course at St Andrews for his 60th, I notice they are coming up for pre-booking for 2016 shortly, has anyone had any experience of getting a tee time, because it's a gift I don't want to go down the ballot route, he has a handicap but im not a member anywhere, are they pretty strict on the handicap certificate?

If you are set on playing on or around a specific time, your best bet will be to go in for the ballot.

You can go into the two day draw but that can be a bit of a lottery.

You need a handicap of 24 to play the course. Not heard anyone getting on without a certificate to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

Experienced the thrill of my first cut at the weekend - down to 17.4. Won the third class medal and made a 20 foot putt for to win 2's money anaw. Enjoying it while it lasts.

What's a cut?

I've been shifting between 0.1 and buffer all year.

We'll done though!!

Had really struggled with my golf at the start of the year but finding a bit more rhythm now. Round of 92 net 70 today should see me with a 0.4 cut down to 21.6, and I think I'll finish second for our division. Only parred two holes today but reasonably consistent bogey golf apart from three holes in the middle of my round (three double bogeys in a row).

Edited by Gaz

I won the Telegraph/old mutual wealth Scotland/Ne england regional qualifier at Close House just outside of newcastle yesterday and im now through to the final ( all expenses paid) at the old links in Kinsale Ireland,so i need a travel bag

Anyone get any recommendations for a cart/trolly bag travel bag?

There's not a thread about PGA/European tour but I was so chuffed for Lowry getting that win last night. Some emotion shown with the celebrations and seems a decent guy.

He did well. Holed a couple of big par putts and made a great birdie at the last despite clearly being nervous over the closing holes.

I expect him to make next year's Ryder Cup side.