Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just booked a block of lessons with our resident pro (Stewart Craig). Getting sick of shooting in the low hundreds!

Anyone else had any experience in being, well, crap, and getting a block of lessons? How did it help you?

I was successful in the Old Course ballot for Monday.First day of the year without mats and playing on a full course, should be in good condition with no divots.

Enjoy that mate! How is getting to scratch coming along?

Enjoy that mate! How is getting to scratch coming along?

Slowly. Been down to 1.5 on numerous occasions, but never lower than that.

Have moved back to Scotland and now playing on links courses, which suit me a lot better than the parkland courses I was playing in London, so going to give it a good go this year and see what happens. As of tomorrow there will be loads of daylight to practice in, which is something I haven't had for the last few years.

Enjoy that mate! How is getting to scratch coming along?Slowly. Been down to 1.5 on numerous occasions, but never lower than that.Have moved back to Scotland and now playing on links courses, which suit me a lot better than the parkland courses I was playing in London, so going to give it a good go this year and see what happens. As of tomorrow there will be loads of daylight to practice in, which is something I haven't had for the last few years.

Well good luck! Do you still do your blog? I'm hoping to get back playing this year. I'm in Perth so have plenty of courses around me to play!

Well good luck! Do you still do your blog? I'm hoping to get back playing this year. I'm in Perth so have plenty of courses around me to play!

No, the blog got the heave, I found I played better when I wasn't updating it. If I ever get to scratch I will do one final post on it.

Well good luck! Do you still do your blog? I'm hoping to get back playing this year. I'm in Perth so have plenty of courses around me to play!No, the blog got the heave, I found I played better when I wasn't updating it. If I ever get to scratch I will do one final post on it.

Fair enough. Keep us updated on here from time to time. Hope the weather is good on Monday for you.

Fair enough. Keep us updated on here from time to time. Hope the weather is good on Monday for you.

It should be nice and sunny with a light breeze.

As with everyone who plays the Old Course, it doesn't matter what you do on the first 17 holes, the main thing is that you hit a good shot into the last in front of the crowd standing behind the green.

Edited by mid-table

I was round Monifieth Ashludie in 2 under par 66 today, 6 threes and 12 fours on my scorecard.
On another day would have been 61 or 62, had a few other birdie putts inside 10 feet that I missed.
The CSS looked as if it was coming down, so I'll get a whole 0.1 cut for my efforts. :lol::lol:
Good preparation for the Old Course tomorrow though.

The Old Course was awesome today. I couldn't believe how good the greens were for 1st April. They were soooo slick (probably about 11 on stimp) and soooo smooth.

I was round in 74, which I am really happy with, especially as the course was playing it's full length for yellow tees. Highlights were a birdie on the 1st, an eagle on the 5th (bizarrely, this got me a half with my friend who I was playing with who also got an eagle), and a birdie on the 18th. The 18th was playing into the wind which, together with the flag being right at the back of the green, meant that I nailed a driver and still left myself with a 4 iron into the green. The road was well out of reach off the tee today, even for the longest hitters. I hit the 4 iron to 30ft and left myself a downhill putt with 5ft of break from left to right. I was probably more likely to 3-putt than 2-putt, but I took my time reading it, struck it where I wanted to and it dropped in the hole dead-weight. An absolutely perfect moment that I will remember forever.

The Old Course was awesome today. I couldn't believe how good the greens were for 1st April. They were soooo slick (probably about 11 on stimp) and soooo smooth.

I was round in 74, which I am really happy with, especially as the course was playing it's full length for yellow tees. Highlights were a birdie on the 1st, an eagle on the 5th (bizarrely, this got me a half with my friend who I was playing with who also got an eagle), and a birdie on the 18th. The 18th was playing into the wind which, together with the flag being right at the back of the green, meant that I nailed a driver and still left myself with a 4 iron into the green. The road was well out of reach off the tee today, even for the longest hitters. I hit the 4 iron to 30ft and left myself a downhill putt with 5ft of break from left to right. I was probably more likely to 3-putt than 2-putt, but I took my time reading it, struck it where I wanted to and it dropped in the hole dead-weight. An absolutely perfect moment that I will remember forever.

I saw Mid-table and golf thread so felt inclined to ask...whatever happened to your blog on making it to a scratch golfer? I used to enjoy reading it.

I saw Mid-table and golf thread so felt inclined to ask...whatever happened to your blog on making it to a scratch golfer? I used to enjoy reading it.

See earlier in this page. I stopped updating it for several reasons.......

I found that the more I updated it the worse I played.

There was also second season syndrome, where in the first year I had covered off the history of tournaments I play in, what the courses were like, and how I prepared for each tournament, and in the second season I felt like I was just repeating myself.

I took over the running of a county league, so a lot of my spare time went on that instead of the blog.

I still have the goal of getting down to scratch, and if I ever do it I will put a final post on the blog with a potted history of how I eventually got there.

You and DB62 have kind of p***ked my conscious,I didn't realise people actually read it, I may look to have an annual or bi-monthly update on it, but am certainly not going back to the twice weekly updates I used to do.

Do you like the old course Mid-table?

I respect It but I'd much rather play the Dukes or the Torrance when in St Andrews.

I like it for what it is, but am under no illusions that it is the greatest or most interesting test of golf there is.

I've also worked at a few Opens at St Andrews so can relate to what I have seen happen inside the ropes.

Have to say i find the Dukes to be a bit of a slog. Played it twice both on wet and windy days so probably not seen it at its best.

Yet to play the Torrance.

It is a slog. Play it off the black tee's and its 7700 yards and the closest thing in Scotland to playing the US Open. I've played it off the green tees before (5800 yards) and it's quite a good golf course, from the Blacks it's absolutely superb. Break 80 and you've played really well (even if you play off plus figures)

Nice one mate. Did you have a wee crowd watching you on the 18th?