Golfers Thread

Gaz

I played there a few years back, do you still have to cross a railway bridge to get to the course??laugh.gif

At king James,yes over the bridge and onto the island! I love the fact it's on moncrieff island, it's character building.

Given the golfing "lows" I've had over the years, I can picture myself lying on the tracks after letting a 5 hole lead slip during the club championship!

Played the Wednesday medal last night and managed to come away with a Gross 77 (77-12=65) - going level par from the 11th which I'm particularly happy with.

CSS was 70 when I left the club last night though expect it will be lowered to 69 so should be due either a 1.0 or a 0.8 cut, taking handicap to 10.6 / 10.8 and remaining on course to get down to 10 by the end of the season.

Only thing being, I'm away for 3 and a half weeks in August and am going to miss 7 medals so need to get the scores in before I go!

We had our championship qualifying yesterday and I managed to follow up my net 65 (CSS: 70) on Wednesday with a 75 - 11 = 65 (CSS: 69) to qualify in the top 20.

Apparently because I've posted a few low scores recently I've also been given a general play handicap adjustment so have been cut to 8.3 which I wasn't expecting at all.

Gonna be tough to get down from hereonin - especially since I was playing off 12 on Wednesday - but pretty happy to have exceeded my end of season target so early.

Now that I know I'm going to be in Edinburgh for the forseeable future I'm looking to join a golf club somewhere. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm looking for somewhere reasonably priced but quite happy to pay a bit of a premium for a good standard of course.

Going to be based just off Leith Walk but got the car so don't mind a travel. Any suggestions appreciated!

Its a small world- i work in the pro-shop! Dalmillings alright, i would say its in better condition that Belisle and Seafield at the moment. The greens are superb although the fairways are a wee bit scraggy but other than that, its spot on.

Haven't joined this year due to caddying at Turnberry most weekends, so not able to play in the medals etc. Yes I agree with you reguarding it being in good condition compared to Seafield and Bellisle. I always find that people are quick to put Dalmilling down and snub it for other courses in the area, but I've always found it to be more enjoyable than Seafield for example. The most talented greenkeepers seem to find their way there and are then picked up by the more prestegious courses. That explains why the greens are in good nick, the guy thats greenkeeper there at the moment is apparently doing a great job....which means he'll be away elsewhere next season haha.

We had our championship qualifying yesterday and I managed to follow up my net 65 (CSS: 70) on Wednesday with a 75 - 11 = 65 (CSS: 69) to qualify in the top 20.

Apparently because I've posted a few low scores recently I've also been given a general play handicap adjustment so have been cut to 8.3 which I wasn't expecting at all.

Gonna be tough to get down from hereonin - especially since I was playing off 12 on Wednesday - but pretty happy to have exceeded my end of season target so early.

Good shooting mate!

Was mentioning a few days ago that my short game and iron play was in good shape but my driving was letting me down so, to try and solve it, I went out to the so called 'range' and hit 100+ drives - really thinking about what I was doing and finally got it sorted.

Really looking forward to hitting some of the courses in Ireland now as my game is in great shape.

Excellent going.

Well done.

I went out today with a friend of mine. Made use of the half decent morning we had with fairly mild conditions.

Went through the front 9 (Par 34) with 42 and again, fairly chuffed with it all in general. I really have no idea and shouldn't try to even attempt anaylise it but ball striking 90% of the time feels great with the odd duff. Driving seems to be improved, we played an open parkland today which was fairly forgiving so was a good chance to try out that.

I really need to work on my sand games though, I took 3 in the sand (the only bunker I landed in all day) and do not feel good when faced with this type of shot.

Back 9 (Par 34) and went through in 44.

Going to plug away and get right into bunker practise. Work out a better average on club distance. I'm ok at this but still at times I tend to use a club too short and often miss a green by 10 yards on the par 3s. If I can work hard on this and get my arse out on the range, I have strong hopes to get another few shots off my average scores.

I've been dreaming of new clubs but at the same time I'm not sure I want to tempt fate as I'm using 15 year old pinseekers, along with a £6 driver/putter from Donnay and a 3 wood that I think must be at least 20 years old.

Hope the rumours of a jet stream movement to give us a summer after all are true and we golfers can all get out in some sunny conditions in the next few weeks.

I'm playing a Scratch Open at Highgate on Friday.

Highgate is the closest course to Central London, at 5.03 miles from Charing Cross (the place from where all measurements in London are taken).

It is the tightest course I have ever played, and is a brilliant track. The greens are tiny and you have to be very accurate. Having said that, it still measures over 6,000 yards. However, you are never more than 550 yards from the clubhouse.

I'll post up my result on Friday night, I was 18th last year, top 6 get prizes, so hopefully I can do a bit better this year.

Highgate Website

Now that I know I'm going to be in Edinburgh for the forseeable future I'm looking to join a golf club somewhere. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm looking for somewhere reasonably priced but quite happy to pay a bit of a premium for a good standard of course.

Going to be based just off Leith Walk but got the car so don't mind a travel. Any suggestions appreciated!

Royal Musselburgh, or Duddingston are the most obvious shouts. Both are very good courses.

I went out today with a friend of mine. Made use of the half decent morning we had with fairly mild conditions.

Went through the front 9 (Par 34) with 42 and again, fairly chuffed with it all in general. I really have no idea and shouldn't try to even attempt anaylise it but ball striking 90% of the time feels great with the odd duff. Driving seems to be improved, we played an open parkland today which was fairly forgiving so was a good chance to try out that.

I really need to work on my sand games though, I took 3 in the sand (the only bunker I landed in all day) and do not feel good when faced with this type of shot.

Back 9 (Par 34) and went through in 44.

Going to plug away and get right into bunker practise. Work out a better average on club distance. I'm ok at this but still at times I tend to use a club too short and often miss a green by 10 yards on the par 3s. If I can work hard on this and get my arse out on the range, I have strong hopes to get another few shots off my average scores.

I've been dreaming of new clubs but at the same time I'm not sure I want to tempt fate as I'm using 15 year old pinseekers, along with a £6 driver/putter from Donnay and a 3 wood that I think must be at least 20 years old.

Hope the rumours of a jet stream movement to give us a summer after all are true and we golfers can all get out in some sunny conditions in the next few weeks.

If you are looking for some good clubs for cheap prices, take a look on Ebay. I bought my driver, 3 wood and putter of it and it was all under £100. Good clubs too.

white_hot_2_large.jpg

Burner_Tour_driver.jpg

titleist_980f_fairway.jpg

Good luck Midtable in your tournament. That course looks fantastic- very narrow it looks from the scorecard and those greens look very tight.

Cheers Forza for the heads up. I'm away to have a scoop over there. Although part of me isn't sure if I should do anything as overall I'm happy with the way things are going but the greedy bugger in me thinks that maybe with something like you have, I'll get a bit longer and also try out graphites as I play with steel.

Think I agree with you on that. I used to play at crail, now play at gog magog in Cambridge. Two courses, one was a regional open qualifying course until recently and the other hosts a major amateur event each year (Donald and Westwood both won it in the past). I got down to 8 a few weeks ago, but I think at crail I'd easily be a few strokes less. There are a lot of easy pars and birdie chances at crail on a calm day.

Doesn't help that I've had three doses of the shanks this year, and I couldn't do anything last night - no flexibility in my back :s

The front 9 at Northwood is over 3,400yds, and the back 9 is quite technical. I always just assumed that 71 is about right, it's probably on the cusp between 71 and 72, Monifieth and Montrose have the same setup (3 x par 3, 13 x par 4, 2 x par 5), and are about 100 yards longer, and they get an extra shot on the SSS. Although completely unscientific, I find it a lot easier to play to my handicap when I play in Scotland, last week I was at Monifieth and Pitlochry, played 5 competitions, 3 buffer zones and 2 x 0.2 cuts.

What you said on another topic last night struck a chord with me, I think it would be a lot easier to get to scratch playing up in Scotland than where I am currently.

I'm playing a Scratch Open at Highgate on Friday.

Highgate is the closest course to Central London, at 5.03 miles from Charing Cross (the place from where all measurements in London are taken).

It is the tightest course I have ever played, and is a brilliant track. The greens are tiny and you have to be very accurate. Having said that, it still measures over 6,000 yards. However, you are never more than 550 yards from the clubhouse.

I'll post up my result on Friday night, I was 18th last year, top 6 get prizes, so hopefully I can do a bit better this year.

Highgate Website

I shot 74, 72 today and tied 5th, picking up a bit of prize money. I was 6 shots behind the winner, and my score was 1 shot behind last year's winning score. Although only around 6,000 yards, it was playing very long, there were four par 4's that I could not reach in two shots. Well, I did hit one of them this morning but only with a booming drive and 3 wood. The other 7 attempts on the long par 4's all came up short.

Pretty pleased considering the quality of the field, lots of very low handicaps playing in it. Onwards and upwards.

I had my first ever golf lesson this morning and played tonight.

It's like I'm starting all over again. I have a new grip, stance, setup routine (for posture, aim and alignment) and swing. Shot 129 tonight - fresh air shots, lost seven balls, a 14 at the first. Horrible :lol:

Still, at least now I know I'm playing the game 'properly'. Got another lesson next Friday so I've to try to get in at least three or four rounds before then and show a record of my scores.

I played the PGA at the Belfry yesterday and shot 95, which I was delighted with as the rough was unbelievable. Any shot that strayed from the fairway was pretty much gone, so there was a few dropped shots there.

I got 36 points and won our sweep between the seven of us. Off to play The Derby today :D

Treated myself to a new set of John Letters clubs last Tuesday and the difference they have made to my game is amazing especially since my last set were 20 years old. The hybrids at 3 and 4 are so easy to hit and I'm using the 3 off the tee a lot.

Played in two competitions this weekend and won one and came second in the other so overall a great weekend of golf.

winaukee - are they the T9+ irons/hybrids? I got the three and five wood recently and have been really impressed with them, and I'm considering getting the irons/hybrids as well. Maybe the driver too.

How are they in terms of getting the ball in the air/forgiveness?

winaukee - are they the T9+ irons/hybrids? I got the three and five wood recently and have been really impressed with them, and I'm considering getting the irons/hybrids as well. Maybe the driver too.

How are they in terms of getting the ball in the air/forgiveness?

Hi Jamie

Yea they are the T9+ irons/hybrids and I am finding them very easy to use in terms of getting the ball in the air and the forgiveness. I got them the loft and lie etc set for me when I bought them and I think this has also helped.

The 3 hybrid seems to go a mile off the tee and has always been pretty straight.

Was looking at the woods the other night online and quite like the look of them.

I may well go and give them a wee bash at the Direct Golf shop when I've got some cash together then.

They actually gave me a 6 iron to warm up with last time I was in there trying out the drivers - it may well have been the T9+ 6 iron. It was brilliant - I'd never hit an iron so nicely as when I was hitting a few warm up shots with it.

My current irons are an old, old King Cobra set. I have real issues getting any height at all with them and I certainly don't feel they're doing anything much for me if I hit one very slightly off.