Golfers Thread

Gaz

Looking to take the game back up after a Golfing Stag weekend a few weeks ago. First round i'd played in almost 4 year and really enjoyed it, needing something to do on days off just now.

Used to play to a decent standard until I was about 16 at which point I sold all my clubs and equipment etc. Anyone who can give me some advice, or point me in the right direction of where i can get a decent set of cheap/reasonably priced clubs/bags etc. Would probably join the Unis golf society for my final year, get really cheap membership at Panmure Golf Course in Angus.

So any help putting me in the right direction of a decent set of clubs would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys.

Depends what you're looking for. E-bay is as good a place as any to pick up some decent sticks at a reasonable price. Gumtree can be decent at times.

Failing that, try some of the local Pro shops for decent deals.

This is my first year without any uni or CA exams so have had the chance to actually play properly for the first time in 8 years.

Started the year at 13.0 and quickly rose to 13.2 with a couple of early NRs n decided to aim for 10.9 (handicap I held before uni) as a realistic target.

Had a couple of scores lately n after tonight's 78 im think im down to 11.7 so I'm gonna aim for 10.4 which I'd hope is attainable.

Played the Wednesday medal last night and managed to come away with a Gross 77 (77-12=65) - going level par from the 11th which I'm particularly happy with.

CSS was 70 when I left the club last night though expect it will be lowered to 69 so should be due either a 1.0 or a 0.8 cut, taking handicap to 10.6 / 10.8 and remaining on course to get down to 10 by the end of the season.

Only thing being, I'm away for 3 and a half weeks in August and am going to miss 7 medals so need to get the scores in before I go!

Edited by Cowshed Chris

One of the 4/5 good shots I managed hit off the tee today was with my brother's 5 iron. Absolute cracker, went about 150-200 yards, but on contact there was a really weird noise - like a driver would make. Shat myself a bit and then noticed that the club seemed to be considerably lighter. Looked up to see where the ball had gone and noticed the head of the iron flying down the fairway. Scary stuff, but hilarious all the same!

Guest honestrae95

I'm getting a new set of clubs for my 21st in february. Any recommendations? Budget is £500. Just looking to get an idea of what's out there, won't buy until nearer the time.

I'd have a look on ebay for some Taylormade Burner stuff, if i were you. Very well made and you can pick it up for a steal since the Rocketballz stuff came out. I work at Dalmilling Pro Shop and the Burners always please!

Edited by honestrae95

Guest honestrae95

Enjoyed reading forzamortons story about his junior games. Brought back some great memories for me also.

I played for Dalmilling Golf Club (or Royal Dalmilling as I like to call it) against some of the more prestegious clubs (Barassie, West Kilbride etc) over the years and we would beat them regularly. Due to the strength of our team I was always a reserve & anytime I played I seemed to always get beat. I remember one particular occasion I was off 12 and the lad I was playing was off 2. I expected him to be terrific & I really thought I was going to get humped, again! Anyway we get to the 7th hole at Dalmilling and I'm 4 up. To say I had my willy hanging out my trousers skipping down the fairway is an understatement. I felt like the most powerful 15 year old alive. I remember thinking ''this lad is off 2 and he's pish''. He was leaving everything short of the green, missing 2 footers, everything was going my way. I eneded up winning the match on the 14th and we, for sportsmans sake, decided to play the full 18. He couldn't believe how poorly he'd played & even managed to praise my home course (which if you know much about golf in this area, Dalmilling isn't highly reguarded). Anyway we walk into the clubhouse for the after match meal and everyone was standing up to applaud my efforts. Great memories.

The rest of the games were pretty forgettable haha.

Its a small world- i work in the pro-shop! Dalmillings alright, i would say its in better condition that Belisle and Seafield at the moment. The greens are superb although the fairways are a wee bit scraggy but other than that, its spot on.

Edited by honestrae95

First round in almost a fortnight this morning. Course is horrible. Unbelievable amount of standing water. Three 'winter' greens in July. Shot a 110, completely capitulated on the back nine.

I had a disaster today. Must have been a 104 at the absolute best. The frustrating thing is that I didn't hit a bad tee shot all day - I just couldn't get from the middle of the fairways into the hole at all.

I think the 18th really summed up my round. Hit a sweet tee shot and left myself in a great position to get on the green for a birdie chance on a 360 yard par 4. I caught my approach nicely and it soared towards the green, which is in a bit of a dip, so I couldn't see it land.

I got down and discovered that it had taken a kick off the ground and landed in the bunker <_<

Which I then took four shots to get out of <_< despite the the ball leaving the bunker with the first two shots, only to roll back in from off the top of it. The third escape nearly took my testicles off after rebounding off the lip. Ended up with an 8. Absolutely disastrous.

I had more bogeys than pars today, and came in with 2 over par 73. 5 birdies, 6 pars, 7 bogeys. Very much a mixed bag, the amount of water lying on the course is phenomenal, making it play a good 1,000 yards than normal for the middle of July.

I had more bogeys than pars today, and came in with 2 over par 73. 5 birdies, 6 pars, 7 bogeys. Very much a mixed bag, the amount of water lying on the course is phenomenal, making it play a good 1,000 yards than normal for the middle of July.

Good shooting mate, where do you play and what's your handicap? Not stalking or anything, just interestedlaugh.gif

Good shooting mate, where do you play and what's your handicap? Not stalking or anything, just interestedlaugh.gif

I'm a member at Northwood in north west London, 6,514 yards, par 71, SSS 71. Play off 2 currently, so only played to my handicap today, felt better than that due to the incredible length the course was playing.

Also a member at a club in Monifieth for when I'm in Scotland.

I'm a member at Northwood in north west London, 6,514 yards, par 71, SSS 71. Play off 2 currently, so only played to my handicap today, felt better than that due to the incredible length the course was playing.

Also a member at a club in Monifieth for when I'm in Scotland.

Surprised that its a SSS 71 at that length, most courses would be sss 72 at that relative length.

Surprised that its a SSS 71 at that length, most courses would be sss 72 at that relative length.

The front 9 at Northwood is over 3,400yds, and the back 9 is quite technical. I always just assumed that 71 is about right, it's probably on the cusp between 71 and 72, Monifieth and Montrose have the same setup (3 x par 3, 13 x par 4, 2 x par 5), and are about 100 yards longer, and they get an extra shot on the SSS. Although completely unscientific, I find it a lot easier to play to my handicap when I play in Scotland, last week I was at Monifieth and Pitlochry, played 5 competitions, 3 buffer zones and 2 x 0.2 cuts.

What you said on another topic last night struck a chord with me, I think it would be a lot easier to get to scratch playing up in Scotland than where I am currently.

The front 9 at Northwood is over 3,400yds, and the back 9 is quite technical. I always just assumed that 71 is about right, it's probably on the cusp between 71 and 72, Monifieth and Montrose have the same setup (3 x par 3, 13 x par 4, 2 x par 5), and are about 100 yards longer, and they get an extra shot on the SSS. Although completely unscientific, I find it a lot easier to play to my handicap when I play in Scotland, last week I was at Monifieth and Pitlochry, played 5 competitions, 3 buffer zones and 2 x 0.2 cuts.

What you said on another topic last night struck a chord with me, I think it would be a lot easier to get to scratch playing up in Scotland than where I am currently.

Club membership at Gleneagles is around £200 more than the 7 day(3 course +range ) membership. Typically the CSS rises to around 73/74 on the Kings/ Queens and can be 77/78 on the Ryder cup course. Many members of Murrayshall played at Gleneagles, almost to a man their handicap was too low by virtue of playing at Gleneagles.

I don't live in the area anymore, but I used to be a member at Murrayshall http://www.murrayshall.co.uk/golf/membership_prices.asp as a country member £200 for two excellent courses and a decent range with free balls is an absolute snip.

King James V1 is another decent course around Perth.

I used to find that Open Competitions almost always had a higher CSS than member's medals at the same courses. For example, Forfar has a SSS of 69, and was 69 virtually every week for the members comps, but Opens were almost always a shot (sometimes two) higher, no doubt due to a large number of non-members not knowing the course.

Club membership at Gleneagles is around £200 more than the 7 day(3 course +range ) membership. Typically the CSS rises to around 73/74 on the Kings/ Queens and can be 77/78 on the Ryder cup course. Many members of Murrayshall played at Gleneagles, almost to a man their handicap was too low by virtue of playing at Gleneagles.

I don't live in the area anymore, but I used to be a member at Murrayshall http://www.murrayshall.co.uk/golf/membership_prices.asp as a country member £200 for two excellent courses and a decent range with free balls is an absolute snip.

I know some of the greenkeepers at Murrayshall, and played in their 18 hole open last year. I'm not massively keen on it, much prefer King James, which I visited when I was up last week. They have done a lot of work on drainage over the past couple of years and although being on an island actually now drains better than Murrayshall, whose greens and bunkers appear to be constantly flooded this year (judging by my mates photos on twitter most mornings).

I used to find that Open Competitions almost always had a higher CSS than member's medals at the same courses. For example, Forfar has a SSS of 69, and was 69 virtually every week for the members comps, but Opens were almost always a shot (sometimes two) higher, no doubt due to a large number of non-members not knowing the course.

Yeah, a few years ago they brought in separate CSSs for home and away competitors, as long as there are at least 20 home and 20 away players. Generally the away CSS is a shot higher. It's also worth considering that for Opens the greens are generally shaved and there are some sucker pins, as well as the tees normally being right back. I did a 1,000 mile round trip in each of the last 2 years specifically to play in the Forfar 36 hole open, 2010 it was cancelled due to flooding, 2011 it was abandoned after 1 round due to gales. Gave it a miss this year, couldn't stand another wasted weekend of travelling.

I don't live in the area anymore, but I used to be a member at Murrayshall http://www.murraysha...ship_prices.asp as a country member £200 for two excellent courses and a decent range with free balls is an absolute snip.

I played there a few years back, do you still have to cross a railway bridge to get to the course??laugh.gif

Yeah, a few years ago they brought in separate CSSs for home and away competitors, as long as there are at least 20 home and 20 away players. Generally the away CSS is a shot higher. It's also worth considering that for Opens the greens are generally shaved and there are some sucker pins, as well as the tees normally being right back. I did a 1,000 mile round trip in each of the last 2 years specifically to play in the Forfar 36 hole open, 2010 it was cancelled due to flooding, 2011 it was abandoned after 1 round due to gales. Gave it a miss this year, couldn't stand another wasted weekend of travelling.

Played forfar about a month ago, great course, lovely layout and great condition.

Im a member at lanark, greens are usually as good as you'll get anywhere besides a links course but this year they've been quite poor and there were even 2 winter greens on during the week!!!

I "fondly" remember playing in the Angus County 36 Hole Strokeplay at Kirrie a good few years back. It hadn't rained for about a week and the green were down to the bone. The greenkeeper put the pins on 5, 9, 10 and 11 in absolutely ridiculous positions. Throw in a fair bit of wind and the place was almost unplayable (if you've ever played it, you'll know what i mean).

We had guys off +1 and +2 failing to break 80 in both rounds. It was fucking horrendous stuff and the course was shite. You could barely get a Pro V1 to bite. It took the greens a good few weeks to recover. I shot a soul destroying 82 in my first round and teed up the second 18 with a yellow Pinaccle Distance, such was my respect for the place at the time.

I was a member at Forfar last year, but the greens were fucking woeful. Hung the clubs up (again) for this season. May try it again next year.