Golfers Thread

Gaz

I shot 111 this morning as well. 110 is my next target at Falkirk. Rather annoyingly I shot a 9 on a hole I'm usually better at (took 6 for it on Monday), and finished with a 7 and a 9 on the two last holes (where I carded two 6s on Monday). If I'd had three 6s again I'd have been on 103 and that would have been my best ever round. Hoping to break 100 by the end of the summer.

One other thing I've started to do is mark down my adjusted score, as if I was submitting it for a handicap (which I'll be hoping to do over the next few weeks).

Guys - a genuine question. The clubs I'm playing with are an old set of my paw-in-law's. They're Dunlop 65i clubs and, to be honest, they're pretty poor (although I really like my putter), comparable with a starter set from Sports Direct I guess. I struggle for consistency with them and I've noticed on the 5-iron that the shaft has came away from the head (oo-er!) by about an inch and a half, and on the 8-iron by about a centimetre.

Obviously I am a relatively new golfer and I'm limited by my ability, but does anyone think I'm being hampered further by the poor quality of my clubs? Am I likely to notice a benefit of treating myself to another, more forgiving, set of irons and, if so, could anyone recommend a decent, reasonably-priced set?

Thanks very much.

I've started to mark down things like how many putts I've taken, fairways hit, GIR etc and I'm finding that at a quick glance I can see where I'm giving shots away. It's a fairly simple way (in my opinion) of highlighting areas of your game that need worked on.

With regards to your clubs, you'd be doing yourself a massive favour getting a new (or newer) set. The ones you have sound like they're hampering you. I had a set of Ram clubs that I used for years and had been toying with getting a new set. Handily by brother in law got himself a new set and I blagged his old ones which were 4 or 5 years old, but much better than the ones I was using. Once I got used to them, I was consistently carding better scores. My aim this year is to shoot less than 90 on a regular basis by the end of the summer.

1334783785[/url]' post='6153290']

I shot 111 this morning as well. 110 is my next target at Falkirk. Rather annoyingly I shot a 9 on a hole I'm usually better at (took 6 for it on Monday), and finished with a 7 and a 9 on the two last holes (where I carded two 6s on Monday). If I'd had three 6s again I'd have been on 103 and that would have been my best ever round. Hoping to break 100 by the end of the summer.

One other thing I've started to do is mark down my adjusted score, as if I was submitting it for a handicap (which I'll be hoping to do over the next few weeks).

Guys - a genuine question. The clubs I'm playing with are an old set of my paw-in-law's. They're Dunlop 65i clubs and, to be honest, they're pretty poor (although I really like my putter), comparable with a starter set from Sports Direct I guess. I struggle for consistency with them and I've noticed on the 5-iron that the shaft has came away from the head (oo-er!) by about an inch and a half, and on the 8-iron by about a centimetre.

Obviously I am a relatively new golfer and I'm limited by my ability, but does anyone think I'm being hampered further by the poor quality of my clubs? Am I likely to notice a benefit of treating myself to another, more forgiving, set of irons and, if so, could anyone recommend a decent, reasonably-priced set?

Thanks very much.

It probably is worth a change to a newer set. How much were you looking to spend?

Cheers guys. I've got a budget of about £150, can maybe stretch to £200 at the most, so I'll be looking second-hand. Just having a shoofty on various websites the now to get some reviews of forgiving irons.

Thanks very much.

By the sounds of it it will be hampering your score and ideally it would help getting a new set. My only point of caution, financially speaking, with getting a new set now is that if you keep playing and improving then within a couple of years you'll probably want another even better set of irons to 'take your game to the next level' and have to splash out again. I'd maybe just keep playing with your irons you have and try and put some money aside over the next year or two and then get a really nice set which you'll be happy to use for a long time. I suppose it depends how seriously you are taking your scores, in terms of playing in competitions etc. If you're playing in competitions and want to get a handicap you're probably best getting another set, if you're just playing casually with your mates and are just looking to improve your swing and not too fussed about scores yet then I'd wait. So basically I've no idea :lol:

Thanks very much.

I was in the same predicament as you, with regards to clubs. My uncle had given me a old set of Wilsons that I played okay with but I felt they were really heavy. I had a couple of good wins on the horses and bought the Nike Slingshot irons I spoke about a few posts up.

I done nine holes with them on Monday and could see an improvement straight away. I seemed to be finding the sweet spot on the iron way more than I had been with the older, heavier clubs.

Steady improvement continuing today as I shot 109. First target of the year achieved, now to push towards a sub 100 score.

Fair play to you going out in the weather around here this week. I was in the car park of my club this morning as it looked like it was brightening up, then all of a sudden it started absolutely hosing it down so I turned straight round and went home.

Hopefully get a game before the end of the week. My tee shots lately have been abysmal so hopefully I can turn that round and get back under 100...

I've decided to start playing again this summer as I'll likely be bored out of my mind on my days off. I quit a few years ago when I was down to around a 20 handicap, although I was still at school and I had little patience at the time and got frustrated really easily. I then played a several times a couple of weeks ago and surprisingly I shot some alright scores. My target is to be down to 15 by the end of the summer.

Also, apparently my driver has become "illegal". WTF.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

Im trying to get back onto it. Been playing at a few courses that I have never played before and its fun doing that. I want to join a club but not sure which one. Might just join Elmwood for the time being. I managed to have a 15 handicap when I was younger and playing regulary about 4 or 5 years ago. I can still play well now. I have no problem with driving or irons. Its around the greens and on the greens Im terrible. Someone said they tke score of GIR's, FIR's and putts per green etc. I think I might do that. Im so inconsistent though. I managed a 86 at Charleton GC but I had two 8's and a 7. Somehow managed to par 9 holes. Was probably the best I had ever played but maybe the worse at the same time.

109 for me this morning, and that marks the first time I've ever shot under 110 at Falkirk.

Next target is to hit under 110 consistently and then beat 105, which would be double bogey for every hole.

A 9 and an 8 on my card this morning - the 9 on a hole I parred on Monday, as well. Disappointing.

I honestly think that I have all the shots in my locker to break 100, but it's getting the consistency throughout the entire round that's the problem.

Fair play to you going out in the weather around here this week. I was in the car park of my club this morning as it looked like it was brightening up, then all of a sudden it started absolutely hosing it down so I turned straight round and went home.

Hopefully get a game before the end of the week. My tee shots lately have been abysmal so hopefully I can turn that round and get back under 100...

We gave up after 7 and sat in the clubhouse for an hour before going back out. It really was awful.

Have a shop around online. You can get pro v1 marked "practice" for about £20 a dozen. These are packaged and sold by titleist and only have blemishes, no structural deficiencies. They are not x-outs and are legal for competition use.

Alternatively get down to somewhere with lots of American visitors like kingsbarns, beach/rocks/dunes you'll find decent balls - Americans have too much money.

I'm just over 1000 for a former open qualifier in Cambridge. Three times what I paid at home (crail) for a similar set up.

Is there an advantage to be had by always using the same kind of ball? Considering clearing out my bag and just using one type.

On the same note, what balls are best, and reasonably priced?

Edited by Faraday

I think short game is something you cam improve on your own with a lot of work at home. I have "almost golf balls" that I used to use in my flat and use them around the garden now. Get one of these cheap synthetic putting mats and draw some chalk lines on it to help groove a stroke.

Books help. I used to swear by Dave pelz, but his books are like text books and can give you too many technical things to think about. Been using Stan uttley's books since Christmas, he has a more feel based system so it's less about mechanics. Certainly making a difference this year (currentlu off 10 buy was round in three over in a match the other night - all about getting up and down).

Im trying to get back onto it. Been playing at a few courses that I have never played before and its fun doing that. I want to join a club but not sure which one. Might just join Elmwood for the time being. I managed to have a 15 handicap when I was younger and playing regulary about 4 or 5 years ago. I can still play well now. I have no problem with driving or irons. Its around the greens and on the greens Im terrible. Someone said they tke score of GIR's, FIR's and putts per green etc. I think I might do that. Im so inconsistent though. I managed a 86 at Charleton GC but I had two 8's and a 7. Somehow managed to par 9 holes. Was probably the best I had ever played but maybe the worse at the same time.

Thanks very much.

Which course in Falkirk?

Best bit of advice I got when starting out was to only use irons off the tee (5 or 6) since most the time you'll hit them as far as any wood and plus you're more likely to be down the middle of the fairway rather than in the rough.

Which course in Falkirk?

Best bit of advice I got when starting out was to only use irons off the tee (5 or 6) since most the time you'll hit them as far as any wood and plus you're more likely to be down the middle of the fairway rather than in the rough.

Falkirk Golf Club, at Carmuirs between Camelon and Larbert. Been a member there for a couple of weeks now but my faither-in-law's been there for donkey's years so I'd played it a few times before with him.

Used to play at Grangemouth but didn't renew due to the smell coming from the landfill site.

Quick question guys. To get my official handicap I have to play in a medal off of the medal tees I believe. If I put my name down for a medal, will I be teamed up with similar folk to me (28 handicappers and people looking to get their first handicap, who usually shoot 110 or so) or will I end up being put alongside folk with single-figure handicaps that will make me look even worse than what I am?

I played this morning with my paw-in-law and two of his chums that I'd never played nor met before. Really nice guys, but playing with three folk considerably better than me (two of whom I'd never met before) was horrible. Each time they tried to give me encouragement felt like they were just emphasising how poor I am. I know that's not the case, but it's hard to recover from a poor drive leading to a 13 on the first hole. Ended up shooting 128, my worst round ever at Falkirk.

Quick question guys. To get my official handicap I have to play in a medal off of the medal tees I believe. If I put my name down for a medal, will I be teamed up with similar folk to me (28 handicappers and people looking to get their first handicap, who usually shoot 110 or so) or will I end up being put alongside folk with single-figure handicaps that will make me look even worse than what I am?

I played this morning with my paw-in-law and two of his chums that I'd never played nor met before. Really nice guys, but playing with three folk considerably better than me (two of whom I'd never met before) was horrible. Each time they tried to give me encouragement felt like they were just emphasising how poor I am. I know that's not the case, but it's hard to recover from a poor drive leading to a 13 on the first hole. Ended up shooting 128, my worst round ever at Falkirk.

At my club you have to submit three cards after playing a round with a fellow member who already has a handicap who will mark your card and sign it. The club then calculate it. They will shortly give me a 28 handicap when I put in my next card!

Just back in from today's round. Managed a 103, but really should have got under 100, and probably would have had I not hit a six at the par 3 17th... Two 8s on the 9th and 10th also cost me, which was really disappointing having hit decent tee shots on both.

At my club you have to submit three cards after playing a round with a fellow member who already has a handicap who will mark your card and sign it. The club then calculate it. They will shortly give me a 28 handicap when I put in my next card!

Just back in from today's round. Managed a 103, but really should have got under 100, and probably would have had I not hit a six at the par 3 17th... Two 8s on the 9th and 10th also cost me, which was really disappointing having hit decent tee shots on both.

Cheers. I'm led to believe that at my club it's three cards, two from the yellow tees in a normal bounce game (but playing by full rules) and one from the white tees in a medal.

I really need to get a decent drive sorted out, I've virtually no chance of attacking most greens in three, let alone two.

Cheers. I'm led to believe that at my club it's three cards, two from the yellow tees in a normal bounce game (but playing by full rules) and one from the white tees in a medal.

I really need to get a decent drive sorted out, I've virtually no chance of attacking most greens in three, let alone two.

Falkirk Golf Club is a nice course but not sure I would want to learn on it. Was fairly long if my memory serves me right. I like the Tryst down at Stenhousemuir and the they used to have a pro called Donald Slicer which amused me.

If the pitch and putt is still open at Callander Park get yourself up there with a 6 iron and see how often you can smack that about 150 yards or do the same at a driving range and then work backwards till you get to a 3 iron. Alternatively see if you can pick up a rescue wood and use that off the tee.

One golf club which is a decent quality and really good for learners and you fancy a day out is Muthill. Nice short par 4's and not that much trouble about.

Having played not much more than the 3 medals needed to keep my handicap for the last 8 years (handicap rising from 10.6 to 13.0 in the process), ive decided to make a go of it this year and get back down somewhere nearer 10 again.

Looking to add a 3 wood to give me a bit more length off the fairway (currently carry an old Callaway Steelhead Plus 4-wood which goes straight but not particularly far).

Cleveland Launcher FL has been suggested, anyone have experience with this club?

Edited by Cowshed Chris