Golfers Thread

Gaz

I posted this in the golfing thread the other day but I don't think many people will have seen it (or were ignoring me :( ).

I'm looking to take up golf. Always enjoyed it, watch it on the telly and been to quite a few local and national events. Never played it, bar the odd round of pitch and putt when I was younger (which I was pretty bad at) and the putting green at my old work (which I was pretty good at).

I was looking to take up the free golf lessons that my Uni do when I go back but the times clash with my lectures and tutorials so I won't be able to make them.

My girlfriend's dad has said I can use his second clubs whenever I want so I don't need to buy my own set right now.

How did you guys that already play get into it? Is it a case of phoning a club and booking a few lessons with their resident pro? Or, as I have a few mates that play (as well as my paw-in-law) can I just go out with them to the Driving Range and be shown the basics on how to swing and then just a case of practicing from then on?

There are quite a few courses round about me but I've no idea on prices or anything like that.

Would appreciate any help or advice.

Edited by Gaz

What seamus has said is pretty good advice. Go down to the local range in the first instance, generally the guys running the range will be able to give you a few points to start out, hit 100 balls or so and get the feel of it. I'd do this a couple of times before going for a lesson at a club - club lessons are generally a bit more expensive (£25 p/hr) so its better to have a bit of an idea before paying that. A lot of golf clubs are taking on new members without joining fees in my area, dont know about up your way - but its possible you could get a reasonable course for a decent cost. My course £650-700ish per year, which isnt the most expensive in the area by some way but at the same time it isn't the cheapest.

Once you've got the grip and stance sorted its really just a case of practice and correcting little problems. Although I love golf I am hopless at it because i dont play enough, as the big man said, the more you practice the luckier you get.

If you like to be thrown in at the deep end Gaz learn on the course. The driving range is fine but you have nothing in front of you to think/worry about.

I play 3-4 times a year and learned to play on the Dunnikier course in Kirkcaldy which is a bugger of a course with trees and rough everywhere. It made me more accurate though and the last time I played I scored a 76 at Elmwood.

Apply for a season ticket at Grangemouth, but do it now for next season as there is usually a waiting list.

£200 quid, play as often as you like apart from Saturdays. Means you can't get a handicap or play in medals, but that shouldnt be a problem first year you are learning.

Last year, some of my colleagues were organising a round of golf and I decided to join in, despite never having played the game before. I borrowed a set of clubs and somehow managed to hack my way round in between the fresh-air shots.

I quite enjoyed the experience and started going to my local driving range to bash a few balls. I noticed they were offering tuition from the resident pro, so I signed up for that. It made a big difference, learning how to grip the club properly and put some sort of stance and swing together. I played quite a few rounds last year with a mate who was a member of a local club and he could bring me along as a guest. I definitely made a big improvement just playing once a week.

I think one of the biggest mistakes a beginner can make is to try and batter every shot as hard as you can. That just knocks your swing all out of kilter and - while you may hit the odd cracker - most of your shots will be wayward. Far better going for a smooth steady rhythm.

You can often get good deals on season tickets at the municipal courses. Perfect for practising.

Edited by centralparker

I started by going to a municipal course in Carlisle with my dad and using his clubs, when I decided I wanted to play I got a wee junior set which was a wood, a mid iron a short iron, pitching wedge and a putter. Went to a local 9 hole course which was attached to a caravan site, that way didn't really hold up any "proper" club members. Then when I'd been playing for a wee while went for a lesson, just to brush up on my swing.

For complete starters, I'd tag along with someone who can play, go to the range with them, but only a couple of times, and then get out on a course. The only way to really learn golf is on the course when you're faced with the lie, the wind, the slope of the green, the ball doesn't always lie like it does on the astroturf at the range :D

Guest Caleyking

You dont need lessons unless you plan on being really serious about it.

Just keep going out, even though you're shit and you should get better in time.

I am appalling but really enjoy it. Good laugh and you can have a few bevvies and piss around with the buggies too.

Thanks for the advice folks :) Keep it coming.

I think I will try to get to the Driving Range over the next week or so a couple of times, and get a few pointers from the staff there on grip and swing, and go from there :)

Thanks for the advice folks :) Keep it coming.

I think I will try to get to the Driving Range over the next week or so a couple of times, and get a few pointers from the staff there on grip and swing, and go from there :)

When you go to the range try not to focus too much on smashing your driver. It's the most fun club to hit but you'd be better off concentrating on your irons, especially the short ones as they're the clubs that really decide your score at the end of the day.

As centralparker says, try to get into a smooth rythym instead of swinging the club as hard as you can. I can 100% guarantee you that you'll hit the ball just as far with a nice, smooth crisp strike.

Oh, and keep your head down until you're on your follow through. It's the first tip any golfer is given but it's amazing how many beginners forget to do it.

And finally, you'll probably know this but anyway, a lot of people at golf clubs are absolute wankers. Don't let them spoil your fun.

Enjoy :D

And finally, you'll probably know this but anyway, a lot of people at golf clubs are absolute wankers. Don't let them spoil your fun.

Never a truer word said. I thought tennis clubs were bad but they have nothing on golf.

I'm pretty honking at golf, summed up by the fact I cannot my head round how to use woods, but I still managed a par and a couple of bogeys last time I played a few holes. I tend to find the longer I go without playing, the better I get. After a few shanked efforts on the first couple of holes I was on fire!

Gaz, I know you said you aren't looking to buy clubs just now, but I have a full set sitting in my garage (and they have been for 3 years) so if you every do, give me a shout. There would be........

Ping 'Hoofer' double strapped bag

ERC 10 degree driver (with headcover)

Adam's 3 and 5 woods (with headcover)

Full set of Wilson Fat Shaft Irons

60 degree Cleveland gun metal lob wedge

Ping Answer putter

In total, the whole kit cost around £1100 and all items have been well used, but are in decent condition.

I know some on here have suggested not taking lessons. IMO that is a bad idea. I would take a couple of lessons from the course pro (price depends on time, but up at my local it's about £15-20 an hour) just so that the fundamentals of the swing is good.

There is nothing worse than trying to sort out a swing that has picked up bad habits (speaking from personal experience) and if you're a total beginner it's best to get the basics down first.

I only had a few lessons before I was confident enough to go out on my own. As a result, I'm hitting the ball well, straight and getting decent distance. I only go back to the local pro for hints and tips on more intermediate/advanced shots, or when my technique starts to go to pot. Some people see the golf pro every week. Unless you’re planning to go pro, you only need to see a pro fro lessons every 2/3weeks.

Gaz, I know you said you aren't looking to buy clubs just now, but I have a full set sitting in my garage (and they have been for 3 years) so if you every do, give me a shout. There would be........

Ping 'Hoofer' double strapped bag

ERC 10 degree driver (with headcover)

Adam's 3 and 5 woods (with headcover)

Full set of Wilson Fat Shaft Irons

60 degree Cleveland gun metal lob wedge

Ping Answer putter

In total, the whole kit cost around £1100 and all items have been well used, but are in decent condition.

I'll bear that in mind chief. Cheers :)

My local driving range also has an area where you can practise chipping the ball on to a green. This is a very important aspect of the game as you can lower your score significantly if you get these little shots close to the hole on a reular basis.

It feels more manly to give it some welly with the driver but at the end of the day, a chip or a putt counts the same as a monster drive on the scorecard.

Edited by centralparker