Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Weird.........talking with a buddy a couple of hours ago about getting tickets for Scottish Open next month. He was back on the phone 15 mins. ago to say "Forget it."

I feel the same way.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jun/06/pga-tour-liv-golf-and-dp-world-tour-agree-to-make-shock-merger

"LIV Golf rebels have a route back towards the traditional tours and the Ryder Cup from next season after the PGA and DP World Tours joined forces with the Saudi Arabian-backed enterprise in one of the most extraordinary truces in sporting history.

The shock announcement, delivered on Tuesday, will see the Saudi public investment fund pour money in a new company that will effectively control top-level golf. Ongoing litigation between LIV and the PGA Tour – for so long sworn enemies – has come to an abrupt and shocking end."

I have only ever watched the majors on TV. I have zero interest, and never have had any interest, in watching ‘normal’ golf tour events. The majors and the Ryder Cup - all I’m interested in. In a similar way that I will watch the rugby 6 Nations, but have never watched a club rugby match in my life. Zero interest. Just my taste / opinion, whatever.

My interest in watching any professional golf is now being tested, but I just know I’ll still end up watching the majors and Ryder Cup anyway. Look at my signature text - Newcastle are my favourite English team, and I’ve enjoyed watching them this season especially. I can also admire this season’s Manchester City, and they’re just a big business owned by….

What do you do? Where do you draw the line and burn your grandad-collar NUFC Adidas shirt?

I’m conflicted. Hugely.

19 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Even the players had no clue until the news broke today. Monahan can't possibly stay on after this. And this letter. Ooft.

https://twitter.com/acaseofthegolf1/status/1666092033868701697?t=JfqhEsQ6rKflsAoulaveUw&s=19

Someone better be livestreaming that Player Meeting

28 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Even the players had no clue until the news broke today. Monahan can't possibly stay on after this. And this letter. Ooft.

https://twitter.com/acaseofthegolf1/status/1666092033868701697?t=JfqhEsQ6rKflsAoulaveUw&s=19

I am far from an expert in letters wrapped up in legal jargon but the words that seemed to jump out at me most in that we're "for-profit" and " tax-exempt organization " 

My 2 cents is that as much as I understand where the traditionalists are coming from, there should be room in the calendar for different formats of golf. The tour consisting almost entirely of 72 hole stroke play tournaments played from Thursday to Sunday with a cut on Friday night is a tired format and I think a certain percentage of tournaments should mix it up with things like 54 hole formats, shotgun starts etc.

I'd also like to see a shorter format of the game in places to appeal more to fans. Look at the popularity of T20 cricket. People love is because you can sit and watch an entire match in 2-3 hours, it's not a whole day slog. Let's introduce something like that in the golf. 9 hole match play on Monday nights would be excellent.

2 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

I am far from an expert in letters wrapped up in legal jargon but the words that seemed to jump out at me most in that we're "for-profit" and " tax-exempt organization " 

My take from that letter is that LIV have realised they are still way behind in terms of tv coverage etc, and have flung a huge wad of cash at Monahan to cave in and "merge" the tours.

There will be lots of players who knocked back offers who might find it very difficult not to have a hold of Monahan by the throat the next time they see him.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jun/06/pgas-merger-with-liv-cant-be-seen-as-anything-other-than-a-saudi-victory

"The willingness of the PGA Tour, especially, and DP World Tour to forsake entrenched opposition to LIV Golf contradicts so much that has been said and done over the past two years. This serves as the latest, depressing illustration that bottomless pits of money can disrupt and distort everything in sport. And not just any bottomless pit; one emanating from a kingdom guilty of human rights abuses and which is using golf – plus football, plus anything else it can lay its hands on – as a tool to make people look the other way. Sportswashing works, kids. This chapter is to the tune of several billion dollars; chump change to the Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF)."