Golfers Thread

Gaz

17 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

I'm also waiting patiently to find out whether I've qualified for the Club Champs play-offs after another decent round today - I think I've done enough to get in the handicap section, but can't see me being in mix for scratch this year (and that's a right result after a couple of horsings in the last few years!).

Missed Scratch qualifying by a few strokes, but qualified for the Handicap section as 4th seed with a couple of old-school Buffer Zone scores - delighted with that outcome as I've absolutely no chance of winning the Scratch.

4 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Missed Scratch qualifying by a few strokes, but qualified for the Handicap section as 4th seed with a couple of old-school Buffer Zone scores - delighted with that outcome as I've absolutely no chance of winning the Scratch.

My mate last year was playing off 8 or 9, and had two cracking rounds which saw him miss out on the championship by 1 shot, but qualify for the 75th Anniversary (our version of handicap singles) as first seed. 2 days before the ko rounds kicked off one of the championship qualifiers got covid and withdrew, meaning my mate got bumped up into championship. He was gutted as he had a really good chance of winning the 75th, beat by the number 1 seed (a +1 player) in Round 1 of the championship. 

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

My mate last year was playing off 8 or 9, and had two cracking rounds which saw him miss out on the championship by 1 shot, but qualify for the 75th Anniversary (our version of handicap singles) as first seed. 2 days before the ko rounds kicked off one of the championship qualifiers got covid and withdrew, meaning my mate got bumped up into championship. He was gutted as he had a really good chance of winning the 75th, beat by the number 1 seed (a +1 player) in Round 1 of the championship. 

It's a fecker when they don't allow you to pick whether you want to play in the scratch or handicap matchplay (and there's no real reason you shouldn't be able to with some form of limiting criteria, say playing off more than 5, ie outside old-school Category 1).

A few years ago I qualified 16th, playing off 7, and was drawn against a guy off +3. I played pretty well (for me) and still got scudded 7&6 - to be honest, I was fairly chuffed with myself to take him 12 holes. One hole in particular sticks out - at a 380-yard par 4, he used a putter from just off the front edge for a lag birdie after I'd nailed a driver and 7-iron to 25 feet. It's a different game sometimes...

Video on the restoration of venue for this year's US Open by Gil Hanse & Geoff Shackelford. (Hanse designed Craighead Links and Castle Stuart.)

Really looking forward to seeing how the pros handle this course, looks to be a bit of a beast and some of the greens appear terrifying.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

1 hour ago, funky_nomad said:

I didn't play in the medal at Tulliallan on Saturday, but on checking the scores I noticed this card from (briefly) former European Tour pro Callum Macaulay.

Back in 29 with 10 putts. It's a different game for some people... 😥

Screenshot_20230605-203428.thumb.png.ae1963bcc71f54cdb10ae6ac01b18042.png

One of the great joys in golf is marking a plus handicapper for a 3 nett 4

A complete bombshell, it feels as if that has come out of absolutely nowhere. I wonder if some of the big names - Rory, Rahm etc - were threatening to walk from the PGAT and they had to settle it up.

Does this mean an end to the separate tournaments on LIV Golf and the Saudis are just going to invest in the regular golf calendar?

Edited by Ignoramus

You have to feel as if there will be some resentment now from the guys who stayed loyal to the PGAT and DPWT. The LIV guys look as if they were able to cash in big time and will now be allowed to resume their full programme of events having got the bag in the last couple of years.

4 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Actually pleased this is happening. Hopefully we see the back of Monahan and Norman and can watch all the best players compete against each other. Be interesting to see what the terms are and whether the team aspect will be retained.

10 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

A complete bombshell, it feels as if that has come out of absolutely nowhere. I wonder if some of the big names - Rory, Rahm etc - were threatening to walk from the PGAT and they had to settle it up.

Does this mean an end to the separate tournaments on LIV Golf and the Saudis are just going to invest in the regular golf calendar?

The whole idea was owning it though and it being ‘their’ thing. Properly scratching my head at this today.