Golfers Thread

Gaz

Been very lucky and really haven’t suffered excessively slow play for at least two seasons now. Last time I did was in an Open comp’ at Elderslie GC, and that was really down to a stretch on that course where an uphill par 4 was followed by a tough long par 3, which was followed by a driveable (for those who had three Weetabix for breakfast) par 4. Just the perfect storm for lengthy hold ups.

Honestly though, reading the last few posts just hit home that I really haven’t suffered slow play for ages. Jinxed it now!

41 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Summer evening golf is unrivalled

IMG_6816.jpeg

Played in a medal last night. Struggled round the course (as has been my last month and a bit of golf) but spending 3 hours in the sun after work playing golf is so good. 

Yep, 'twas indeed a lovely evening.

Played in the midweek medal and came 3rd with a net 71. I shouldn't grumble as it's always nice to get in the prizes, but yet again I dropped stupid shots over the last 4 holes despite cruising up to that point (2 shots better would have won the medal). When I've nothing to play for I can easily cope with these holes, and conditions were about as benign as they get, so it's clearly a mental issue.

Also, on the slow play issue, there was a large Seniors match booked in the early afternoon, playing fourballs, and by the time I arrived for my 4:30 tee-off time we were already running 10 minutes late. 2 hours 10 mins to play nine holes. (Daft auld buggers were probably putting everything out... 🙄) In this case, I blame the scheduling as the Seniors wouldn't move their normal Seniors Medal from a Tuesday and the club let them book a Wednesday when they knew they'd be holding a medal. Bonkers stuff.

Played this afternoon at my course (Kirkintilloch) in 21c sunshine and zero wind. Fantastic. Course is in tremendous condition. Doesn’t get any better than today. Will try to remember today when it’s pishing down, freezing cold, blowing a gale, preferred lies, mats off fairways, winter greens and tees, and getting dark at 2.30pm…. Days like today DO exist. 😀

F38DF2B7-9C9E-46B5-AEAB-E4F3F4F818A5.jpeg

Shot a pretty disheartening round this week. Trying to get my number of scores up, and managed to put my handicap up by 1 in the process 😂

Still, there was some excellent golf in the round, but too much garbage off the tee and on the greens

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Shot a pretty disheartening round this week. Trying to get my number of scores up, and managed to put my handicap up by 1 in the process 😂

Still, there was some excellent golf in the round, but too much garbage off the tee and on the greens

I've had similar this month.  Made a promise to myself that I'm going to get more cards in this year.  I wasn't able to enter a comp with my mate as it turns out I didn't put in 6 cards last year.

I've put 3 in this month already, unfortunately my golf has been so absolutely honking that my handicap has gone up by 1.

Went out during the week on my own on Tuesday evening and played 1-10 and up 18 and whilst it wasn't perfect, i was hitting the ball better.  That's the usual with me though, as soon as I tee up in a comp, it all goes to shite. 

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've had similar this month.  Made a promise to myself that I'm going to get more cards in this year.  I wasn't able to enter a comp with my mate as it turns out I didn't put in 6 cards last year.

I've put 3 in this month already, unfortunately my golf has been so absolutely honking that my handicap has gone up by 1.

Went out during the week on my own on Tuesday evening and played 1-10 and up 18 and whilst it wasn't perfect, i was hitting the ball better.  That's the usual with me though, as soon as I tee up in a comp, it all goes to shite. 

The HC is obviously meant to be fair and representative of my ability, but its still a blow to turn in such a diabolical card and see it jump up. Anotehr card next week hopefully and a better performance. 

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The HC is obviously meant to be fair and representative of my ability, but its still a blow to turn in such a diabolical card and see it jump up. Anotehr card next week hopefully and a better performance. 

If I was to carry on playing the way I have been this month my current HC would be on the low side, tbh.

I say it every year, I know that I can put in decent rounds when I play well.  I went round the front nine in 44 during the week.  Admittedly off the yellows, playing on my own with no pressure.  My problem is partly that when I play in medals if i start off badly or when the first bad hole comes up and I post a big score, then I let it get to me and the rest of the round goes to pot.

Every year I say my aim is to get my handicap under 20, and I know that when my game is good I should be down in the mid to low teens, as I regularly hold my own against mates who are in that range.  It's a combination of not playing nearly enough and occasionally posting horrific numbers that stops that.

Decided to start playing again after 10 years out. Four cards in and I've been assigned a 14.7.

Two things I've found different and quite like. The he's 27 until he's 28 and higher course ratings mean a handicap rounding up.

The 8 of your best from 20 cards. Crikey I remember the fark getting cut by 0.1 per shot only days and I've into this change.

What's wild is I can melt the ball off the tee more than I did in my early 20s. If I knew that range was coming I'd have never stopped playing.😅

Edited by the jambo-rocker

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Yeah, minimum of 6 cards in the last 12 months

I've never heard of a club competition with that requirement tbh. Seems a like a daft barrier to discourage people from playing in comps, but I suppose we are talking about Match & Handicap committees here who do tend to love an obscure rule or two... 🙄

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Played appallingly today. Lost a ball at the 1st to take 7 and after 2 cracking shots on the 2nd duly 4 putted to take 6. That rather set the tone. 
Round in 91 less 7 for an awful net 84. Dismal. 
I did however have a 2 which will earn me some cash. Stupid game. 

78 for me. 1- handicap. 3 birdies……but 2 x doubles and a treble! That’s fucking frustrating 🥵

still leading the comp by 1 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

78 for me. 1- handicap. 3 birdies……but 2 x doubles and a treble! That’s fucking frustrating 🥵

still leading the comp by 1 

Still a good effort.

It's frustrating when you have doubles and worse but so many good rounds have them. 

I had a round with no bogeys last season, but it had 3 doubles and two birdies. The real frustration for me is when the doubles happen late on. It always seems more satisfying when you fight back from an iffy start. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

11 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Still a good effort.

It's frustrating when you have doubles and worse but so many good rounds have them. 

I had a round with no bogeys last season, but it had 3 doubles and two birdies. The real frustration for me is when the doubles happen late on. It always seems more satisfying when you fight back from an iffy start. 

I think what frustrates me mate is that when you’re making doubles/trebles it’s a silly mistake or Brain fart. You’ve played well for 15 holes and chucked it. There’s a score there mate, as in a really good one.