Golfers Thread

Gaz

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

After playing far less over the winter than normal, I pitched up at Ladybank on Saturday morning for the opening medal with zero expectations.

A couple of swishes to warm up and away - to the surprise of everyone, I started with 6 stress-free pars (with a couple of birdie putts shaving the hole), and I was beginning to think I was a total player and I should just put the clubs away every October. Then came a couple of shanks from the middle of the fairway and, boom, 5 shots gone in 3 holes. Steadied the ship at the start of the back nine before a classic triple-bogey-par-double finish for a nett 76. Reality bites. Worst of it was a shot less down the stretch and I've have qualified for one of the matchplay events that the opening medal doubles as a qualifier for.

Golf, eh?

How’s Ladybank looking? I was told they did a bit of work over the winter? 

32 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

How’s Ladybank looking? I was told they did a bit of work over the winter? 

It was looking pretty decent for pre-clock change March, particularly given the recent weather. The greens, albeit a bit sparse, were rolling very nicely, and I barely needed a preferred lie on the fairways.

They've done some "corrective" work to some of the more punitive run-off areas that were installed as part of the new bunker installations a couple of years back, and these look terrific, much better than before.

They've also stripped even more trees out to get more air circulating around the course, which looks a bit odd as you can see some adjacent fairways in full for the first time. I'm sure this will look absolutely fine once the trees are in full leaf.

The only bit I don't like is that they've removed the massive rhododendron bushes from the rear of the 14th green - there's no real definition there now, and they looked lovely in full bloom (kinda like Augusta if you squinted). I hope they'll plant an alternative as it looks really bare behind a green which slopes away at the back third (I suspect we'll end up with some extra heather planted there for bonus shits and giggles resulting from an overly-aggressive approach...)

Interestingly, we were on a couple of temporary greens. In an effort to get some early growth, they've covered the 2nd and the 8th greens with those white crop sheets you see in fields - I had to check they weren't growing raspberries under there. Can't say I've ever seen that on a golf course otherwise in play before.

Has anyone changed their club recently? Just joined a new club so my old club has resigned me. It’s meant that the Scottish Golf app has wiped me and my CDH isn’t recognised. Any idea how long after the new club updates the system it usually takes before the app works again?

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Has anyone changed their club recently? Just joined a new club so my old club has resigned me. It’s meant that the Scottish Golf app has wiped me and my CDH isn’t recognised. Any idea how long after the new club updates the system it usually takes before the app works again?

With a pre-existing CDH number that has been unregistered by your previous club, it's all down to how quickly your new club's administrator/match secretary processes things.

It's pretty much instantaneous once the new club have added your CDH number to whatever portal they're using and hit the button. Worth giving them a call and nudging things along, tbh.

18 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Interestingly, we were on a couple of temporary greens. In an effort to get some early growth, they've covered the 2nd and the 8th greens with those white crop sheets you see in fields - I had to check they weren't growing raspberries under there. Can't say I've ever seen that on a golf course otherwise in play before.

I played at Monktonhall a few years back and I’m sure they had something like that at the back of a green. Was the first time I had ever seen it on a golf course 

41 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I played at Monktonhall a few years back and I’m sure they had something like that at the back of a green. Was the first time I had ever seen it on a golf course 

If it works, I wonder why we don't see it pretty much everywhere in Feb/early March to get greens ready for the start of each season... 🤔

Played today, pishing rain and cold. Not much fun tbh. 

Iv always said inconsistency kills me, but if you want a good example of it, I carded 100 strokes on the button today, with 5 Pars. 

2 or 3 brutal meltdowns and some absolutely abysmal putting preventing what maybe could have been low 90s without too much needing to change. 

Cut to 1 and playing the old course for the first time in a couple of weeks. Would only do it if it's a freebie as it's a fucking goat track. Just ticking a box are you. I know nobody will believe me but roon yiz anyway. Not even looking forward to it cause it blows.

16 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Cut to 1 and playing the old course for the first time in a couple of weeks. Would only do it if it's a freebie as it's a fucking goat track. Just ticking a box are you. I know nobody will believe me but roon yiz anyway. Not even looking forward to it cause it blows.

2 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Playing it for the first time in a couple of weeks, eh?

What an absolute fantasist lol

"Roon yiz" 🤣

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Bettered my previous round by 6 today. Confident of hopefully flirting with high 80s by the end of the season which would represent big improvement for me. That's my target for now. 

Good luck mate.