Golfers Thread

Gaz

47 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Tiger Woods made 68 million from endorsement deals last year. Scheffler could win more majors than Tiger and still get nowhere near that, because he has the charisma of a sloth and plays safe, solid golf. Totally fine for winning tournaments but I don't think people are wild in saying he's boring to watch. 

Scheffler was 17 under, 5 shots better than anyone else. He also dropped a shot every day, you don't pick up that many shots without going for flags at the right time. It was hardly Faldo hitting 18 pars to win. I'm sure Scheffler couldn't give a shiny shite what anyone thinks of his charisma or lack of. 4 years ago he was playing on the Korn Ferry tour, last night he became the 51st player to earn $50 million or more in prize money on the PGA Tour, only a few have done it quicker.

21 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Scheffler was 17 under, 5 shots better than anyone else. He also dropped a shot every day, you don't pick up that many shots without going for flags at the right time. It was hardly Faldo hitting 18 pars to win. I'm sure Scheffler couldn't give a shiny shite what anyone thinks of his charisma or lack of. 4 years ago he was playing on the Korn Ferry tour, last night he became the 51st player to earn $50 million or more in prize money on the PGA Tour, only a few have done it quicker.

I agree Scheffler won't care, and good luck to him, he's still a boring watch. Not sure it's a reason for anyone to get annoyed though, either way. 

Scheffler's game mirrors his demeanour. Slow and steady, nothing flashy, even tempered. Perfect for golf.

The guy is a machine. Minimizes mistakes, Fairways and Greens, hole a few putts and shoot 68 x 4.

Is it boring ? A bit yes, but Tiger played that way occasionally too when the situation demanded.

On 13/03/2023 at 18:44, Bodie said:

Scheffler's game mirrors his demeanour. Slow and steady, nothing flashy, even tempered. Perfect for golf.

The guy is a machine. Minimizes mistakes, Fairways and Greens, hole a few putts and shoot 68 x 4.

Is it boring ? A bit yes, but Tiger played that way occasionally too when the situation demanded.

I would kill for my golf to be that “boring” 

Unless his putting goes really cold or he gets injured, I think boring Scottie is going to be contending in most majors for the next few years, and winning a lot of them.  This is an alarming/extremely boring prospect.  He is so boring and his play is so unflashy and safe that he's almost unwatchable.  Enjoyment of the Masters is under threat!

13 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

In other news, the R&A announced plans to have a restricted distance golf ball in play by 2026 yesterday, and the predictable complaints from players and ball manufacturers alike has begun. 

About time. I've never understood the R&A/USGA getting their knickers in a twist about the "we must all use the same technology to protect traditions" nonsense. Bring in restrictions from elite Amateur level upwards (after all, they already have "restrictions" on ability based on ballots for elite Amateur tournaments...) and the vast, vast majority of golfers will not be affected. Ball (and club!) manufacturers will still make a handsome profit.

2 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

About time. I've never understood the R&A/USGA getting their knickers in a twist about the "we must all use the same technology to protect traditions" nonsense. Bring in restrictions from elite Amateur level upwards (after all, they already have "restrictions" on ability based on ballots for elite Amateur tournaments...) and the vast, vast majority of golfers will not be affected. Ball (and club!) manufacturers will still make a handsome profit.

It's about 10 years too late imo. Usual suspects moaning about how other sports don't change things to go backwards, but they had to change the javelin years ago as competitors were getting close to chucking it out the stadium. It's similar with the golf ball, courses have become obsolete due to how far players drive the ball now. There's not enough spare ground on the planet to keep expanding courses to keep up with driving distance. 

Really interesting video here with Steve Johnson, the pro at Peebles, being fitted for a driver at the Wilson factory. Fitter is Scott Clelland, who used to be the pro at Hayston. I got fitted by Scott for a 3 wood when he was there, and the most interesting thing for me is that the way he fits the PGA pro is almost exactly the same as how he fitted me, a 13 handicap jobber at the time.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Fleetwood in with a massive chance after Speith and Schenk both fail to birdie the par 5 11th...all tied at the top on -9 the three of them with tommy lad 1 hole ahead of the pair of them 

Looks like none of the above will end up winning.