Golfers Thread

Gaz

Dan Rapaport Monday round up is always worth a read on barstool sports since he went there

Dan is a close pal of Matt Fitzpatrick 

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3457682/monday-rap-liv-continues-to-push-the-hell-out-of-its-team-concept-a-fine-finish-for-the-honda-classic-and-a-legal-victory-for-the-pga-tour

That's me halfway through Full Swing. Poulter definitely comes across as a bit of an idiot. Had to laugh at him chucking his stuff across the locker room while Fitzpatrick was sitting at the other side of the lockers quietly texting away. Hopefully he was messaging Billy Foster and laughing at the state of Poulter. 

I wonder if Koepka is still miserable about his continued hopeless golf or if he doesn't care now that's he's got his guaranteed pay cheque from LIV. 

Just finished Full Swing, Really enjoyed it. Mcilroy, Finau and Theegala, I really liked. Didn't think anyone other than Poulter came across as a cock! At DJ owned the fact he was going to LIV for more money and less golf, would have liked the guy off camera to ask if he cared where the money came from tho. 

My take away from all the guys who moved to LIV was that they knew they couldn't cut it on the PGA Tour anymore and that's why they were away. 

Crazy how many of these guys were influenced by Tiger Woods to take up golf, that makes me feel old as f**k! 

And finally what a life a pro golfer has, at the top end anyway! 

1 hour ago, BaSeDG0DSA1NT said:

I'm playing St Michael's today. Never played it and really looking forward to it. 

I know someone posted a winter marker deal a few months back, I'm lead to believe that's what we are paying today

It is to Drumoig what St Andrews is to Carnoustie...

Played The Carrick at Loch Lomond on Sunday in magnificent weather. They hosted an open stableford competition called a ‘membership stableford’. Entry fee was £20 - a complete steal for that course. For your £20 you got entry to the competition, a bacon roll, tea or coffee, prizes for 1st to 3rd places, a closest the pin prize, long drive prize, and the use of a locker with your name on it… twenty quid. The ‘membership’ thing was that while eating your bacon roll, a Cameron House staff member gave you membership details and went through some discounted membership options with you. No heavy hard sell, if you were just there for the great deal, the lassie just left you a brochure and let you crack on. The course was fantastic, I was hitting the ball well, but the par 4s were a drive and still 220 yards to go. Par 5s for a mere mortal 11 handicapper like me. Never threatened the prizes in any way, shape or form. Can recommend keeping an eye out if they do this day again in Feb 2024. Took a photo from the spectacular steeply downhill Par 3 14th hole. I hit a cracking rescue club pin high, but three yards wide to the left of the green. Landed between the two bunkers to the left on my photo…Looked feckin’ ace as it majestically sailed through the air though… before tailing off. The basturt’.. 😀

1A8A7B8A-D00A-4834-A3C9-D1141D4657B5.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, funky_nomad said:

I see they're making yet more changes to Drumoig (they look to be completely rebuilding/relocating the par 3 16th). Their head greenkeeper does love a digger...

Aye there was loads of work being done when I was there a few weeks ago 

I quite enjoyed the Brooks episode of Full Swing.  Certainly more than the first one.  Yes, it was a bit hard to feel sorry for him whilst he trudged about his big mansion, but you could see how much not being able to compete anymore, whether its injury or something else was absolutely tearing him up.  That period where he looked like he was going to win every major he played in was like when Tiger was winning everything.

Shame he seems to have burned brightly for such a short period and disappeared into the LIV ether.

Needed more absolutely hating DeChambeau as well.

19 hours ago, Albertlegend said:

At DJ owned the fact he was going to LIV for more money and less golf, would have liked the guy off camera to ask if he cared where the money came from tho. 

Not to be entirely cynical, but can you identify a current major sport where players have cared where the money came from? We know football sold its soul a while ago, the major American sports are less guilty overall, but it’s more from a lack of opportunity, track and field certainly follows the money, and golf has for years before LIV. Perhaps hockey?

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not to be entirely cynical, but can you identify a current major sport where players have cared where the money came from? We know football sold its soul a while ago, the major American sports are less guilty overall, but it’s more from a lack of opportunity, track and field certainly follows the money, and golf has for years before LIV. Perhaps hockey?

That's fair, it's just the fact it's so blatant with LIV but your right there is plenty dirty money floating about sports and most don't care where it comes from. 

Poulter is a complete bellend, but he could have waltzed off into the sunset as a European Ryder Cup legend bellend that no-one could deny tried his best to fcuk the Yanks and deeply cared about pulling on that European team shirt and playing for the jersey. He would still be a bellend, but one of our bellends, like Garcia.

Now he’s just a bellend. Oh well, never mind etc.

I think much of what the Tour has done since LIV appeared has been good but this is shite imo and I think it's being driven by the players, not the sponsors as McIlroy is trying to imply.

It also weakens the argument for not giving LIV OWGR points.

PGA Tours argument against LIV was all about earning your paycheck and increased competition, this move closes the fields to half the tour and doesn't have a cut. They players here 100% want paid so the next time Mcilroy talks about legacy and history, he's bulshitting, it's all about cash, which is fair enough but just own it! 

Anything that allows Lee Westwood to be a smug c**t is immediately a bad idea!