Golfers Thread

Gaz

An opening 69 for Tiger at Riviera closing with 3 birdies, he's 5 behind Homa. The big challenge now is the late finish and early start for him with cool weather forecast for tomorrow. 

Also, as if anyone needs reminding, Ian Poulter is a c**t.

Hard to argue with this tbh, Bob played well at the Hero Cup, but his best finish of the year so far was 20th. He missed the cut last weekend and made it through right on the cut line in Thailand today. I don't think he has recaptured any sort of consistent form since he played 4 or 5 tourneys in the US towards the end of summer in 2021, when he missed most of the cuts. I think his confidence took a battering then and he has struggled to get it back.

Complete opposite of yesterday's finish for Tiger as he bogeys 3 of his last 4 holes. That leaves him on +1 and a shot outside the cut, but he will probably make the weekend as their is a good chance that the cut line will move in his favour. 

Also a good time to point out that West Coast tourneys are shite.

3 hours ago, Bodie said:

Tam Pieters off to LIV it seems. A reasonably high profile signing.

The DP World Tour might face more guys like him leaving, he is 34th in the world but he was complaining on Twitter how that isn't high enough to get an invite to Riviera this week. When you look at the strategic alliance it's a shitshow for European players in regards to how owgr points are awarded.

On 17/02/2023 at 20:20, peasy23 said:

Hard to argue with this tbh, Bob played well at the Hero Cup, but his best finish of the year so far was 20th. He missed the cut last weekend and made it through right on the cut line in Thailand today. I don't think he has recaptured any sort of consistent form since he played 4 or 5 tourneys in the US towards the end of summer in 2021, when he missed most of the cuts. I think his confidence took a battering then and he has struggled to get it back.

Finished tied 57th. The last two weeks have been miles off it in fairly mediocre standard fields. 

Another good week for Grant Forrest, at least, who ended up tied 13th.

On 13/02/2023 at 23:15, Bodie said:

I'll watch the show and probably like it because I like golf, but this review is tremendous.

20230213_231208.thumb.jpg.aad0bd2fb33c8d5f9a0cfbbc35ad4933.jpg20230213_231216.thumb.jpg.5a6b464e0b45d619b42e8aae75a7bcff.jpg20230213_231219.thumb.jpg.cc5f1376d318261ccac663f939dbbc1e.jpg20230213_231222.thumb.jpg.7524420ca746ca7bf5df13ec29dfd7ee.jpg

I have only watched the first episode on Netflix, and having just read this review, here’s my take on it. The reviewer strikes me as being like an NME music journalist back in the day who would like ‘cool’ bands like Cocteau Twins or early R.E.M, and their boss just told them to review the new album by Status Quo.

As a golf fan, I didn’t particularly think Spieth or Thomas came over as p***ks or anything like it. They were never going to be like Verstappen or Hamilton in ‘Drive to Survive’, where the sport is played out at 200mph with teams lead by guys like Horner & Wolff battling it out as well as the drivers themselves. Golf is very much an individual sport, played at a slow pace, by guys who aren’t going to wipe each other out at a chicane and literally risk life and limb. The thrust of the ‘Spieth & Thomas’ opening episode was that they came up through the ranks together, are friends, but Spieth achieved more success than his friend, and the show showed that dynamic. I thought both of them came across as being OK guys - albeit guys who have a jet-set lifestyle, rank rotten ‘lad banter’ and anecdotes that are cringeworthy in the extreme. I agree with the reviewer on that. However, were they any worse than let’s say, footballers? ‘Oh aye, Vinnie Jones was a lad. I remember the time he took a pair of scissors to Dennis Wise’s new jacket and cut the sleeves off’.

Looking forward to how the series plays out. I know they are rich kids playing a non-contact sport, I know their anecdotes will be shite, but I find it enjoyable to see something different about golf and golfers. The guy who wrote that review simply was never going to like the new Status Quo album before even hearing it.

38 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Rahmbo is the best player on the planet just now 

Astonishing run of form. 28th August he was T16th at The Tour Championship. 

Since then he has played 10 tourneys, won 5, and was placed 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8th in the other 5.