Golfers Thread

Gaz

4 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Should be ok Lee has just bogeyed 16 but just centre of green you mad french/Dundeh man 

Take  that back a soderberg birdie and unless big Vic putts a long one it's play off time 

Edited by doulikefish

On 19/01/2023 at 22:14, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I've decided to take up golf again after not playing for circa 18 years. I've been to the driving range a few times and cured the push I had last summer when I played 2 rounds.

The clubs I have are 20 years old. My handicap was 4 when I stopped playing. Are new clubs worth it? 

Depends on a lot of things.

How much money do you have/want to spend

How seriously are you going to take it 

How old are you

What type of golfer are you

What do you have now from twenty years ago

You can buy second hand stuff way cheaper and if you know a bit which you probably do can roughly guess what you want. 

Fitting is massive now and wasn't back then so that's the big difference.

How tall are you? If you're average height that will help.

You can also get fitted and they can tell you what's best for you and you can just look for that sort of stuff second hand (meaning loft/lie, shaft weight and stiffness)

I would suggest anything you have that is not steel shaft you should probably replace as graphite degrades over time. So probably driver, 3 wood and maybe rescue/hybrid or 5 wood.

Sidenote rescues were in their infancy then. Maybe you used long irons. Rescues are brilliant. Stick it in the middle of your stance like it's a 6 iron and smash it, easier to hit than a 9 iron.

Also wedges are all the rage now, not so back then. I would guess you have something like a set of ping zing or something like that. They're still class and have the wedges covered for you generally. If you have something else you might want to look at a wedge or two.

So a lot to think about and lots of options. Basically largely dependent on how much money you want to spend and how seriously you want to take it. The second hand market is brilliant and the internet makes buying golf stuff amazing compared to twenty years ago. 

So don't rush in have a wee look round and a wee think about it and shop smart you can get a lot of great stuff for not too much these days.

Out of interest what do you have? I've got a feeling ping zing/eye2 or Mizuno t-zoid. It would be interesting if you did a what's in the bag.

Also balls go online you get dog walkers etc who will sell you a hundred pro V's for eighty quid or something. Great deals can be found for everything.

So Rory ignores Patrick Reed on the practice range at Dubai, Reed responds by flicking a tee at Rory which Rory didn't even see. Turns out Rory was ignoring him with good reason, after he had been served with a subpoena at home on Christmas Eve, in regards to one of Reed's many lawsuits.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jan/25/rory-mcilroy-defends-blanking-patrick-reed-dubai-tee-throwing-incident-golf?CMP=share_btn_tw

5 hours ago, peasy23 said:

So Rory ignores Patrick Reed on the practice range at Dubai, Reed responds by flicking a tee at Rory which Rory didn't even see. Turns out Rory was ignoring him with good reason, after he had been served with a subpoena at home on Christmas Eve, in regards to one of Reed's many lawsuits.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jan/25/rory-mcilroy-defends-blanking-patrick-reed-dubai-tee-throwing-incident-golf?CMP=share_btn_tw

Reed also subpoenad jt 2 days before he got married,he is going for the title of Mr popular 🤣

Rory at today's press conference

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1618246768914833414?t=Qf6LLDEGdSSPYTbkre9lSg&s=19

Edited by doulikefish

1 hour ago, Ignoramus said:

Confirmed that Reed and McIlroy out together for Round 2 (maybe literally) in the morning.

Teeing off at the same time, but starting from different tees. Same groups as Round 1.

I wonder how many cameras will be covering the range/practice green in the morning, though?