Golfers Thread

Gaz

3 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

Shot 94 on the Kings at Gleneagles. It was a tough day, but played alright and course was in very good nick for the weather we’ve had. Definite improvements towards the end of this year!

Very jealous of 

a) - You getting to play golf

b) - You getting to play cracking courses

New irons day yesterday, my old ones were 10 years old and got a cracking deal on a set of Honmas. I tried a few sets from the usual suspects of Cobra, Callaway, TaylorMade etc but these ones just felt so much better and I was striking the ball cleaner as well.

On 03/01/2023 at 11:37, statts1976uk said:

New irons day yesterday, my old ones were 10 years old and got a cracking deal on a set of Honmas. I tried a few sets from the usual suspects of Cobra, Callaway, TaylorMade etc but these ones just felt so much better and I was striking the ball cleaner as well.

Honma tend to be expensive, decorative and standard shafts are usually very light. This will increase clubhead speed for a lot of golfers. 

What did you get, what shafts are in them and did you have to take out a mortgage?

Some Honma sets in days gone by could be ten grand. Gold plated and shit. I'm guessing there's gold involved somewhere. They love that shit.

All Japanese clubs are very high quality basically. If anyone wants a wee peruse look up Miura. They're the best irons ever made. All hand forged, you just get the heads and have to get shafts put in them yourself.

When Tiger played Nike the rumour, almost certainly true, was always that they weren't actually Nike they were Miura with Nike markings added. Typical set of irons would be something like seven grand.

And if you ever see Miura irons on eBay or somewhere like that for say two hundred quid buy the f**k out of them.

This happens more than you would imagine, as sometimes people come across say from a dead family member them and don't know what they have. They're very niche because of the price so people assume they're shit cause they haven't heard of them and punt them cheap. 

They're not shit. Miura have never made a set of irons that aren't brilliant. Mizuno is basically poor man's Miura. For most of us Mizuno are the best irons you can get.

This happens less often these days but still happens. A friend of mine has made a lot of money doing this over the years. You can buy a set for £150 off eBay and sell them for £1200 or something. Always worth a wee scan.

8 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Honma tend to be expensive, decorative and standard shafts are usually very light. This will increase clubhead speed for a lot of golfers. 

What did you get, what shafts are in them and did you have to take out a mortgage?

Some Honma sets in days gone by could be ten grand. Gold plated and shit. I'm guessing there's gold involved somewhere. They love that shit.

All Japanese clubs are very high quality basically. If anyone wants a wee peruse look up Miura. They're the best irons ever made. All hand forged, you just get the heads and have to get shafts put in them yourself.

When Tiger played Nike the rumour, almost certainly true, was always that they weren't actually Nike they were Miura with Nike markings added. Typical set of irons would be something like seven grand.

Whilst I would love to spend a few grand on a set of clubs the decimal point was firmly placed to keep it in the hundreds!

I got a set of 5-11 TR20P irons in the AG sale, they were the ex-demo ones. Only one club had been used and the wrapper was still on the grip. Standard regular flex on them but they are quite light. Definitely in the entry level of Honma irons but the shafts and the forged heads just felt so much better than the equivalent Cobras, Callaways and TaylorMades at an equivalent price point.

I used them for the first time in anger on Saturday and were really impressed but I have made the leap from an old set of Adams A50S irons so most things would have been an improvement.

Edited by statts1976uk

18 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Jon Rahm starting the year with a win, started the day 7 behind Morikawa but hit a 10 under 63, while Morikawa is level par for the day.  

That was wild...feel asleep Morikawa was 7 clear with about 9 to play got up today seen a headline that Rahmbo won and I was like wtf...so had to watch the back 9 

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

After a pretty poor season by his standards last year, that result must sting for Morikawa. 

He looked as if he was going to burst into tears mid round tbh. After playing great for 3 days he was miles off it on Sunday.