Golfers Thread

Gaz

On 17/11/2022 at 17:47, Jamie_Beatson said:

Played a nice round in the fog yesterday... only lost one ball despite the fact visibilty for the first 14 holes was about 150 yards tops.

Hitting everything with the driver and three wood out of the toe though and just can't seem to stop it.

I have went through this previously and was advised to address the ball in the air face on with the driver and then drop directly down to the ground it will look as if you are lined up with the heel but as you swing through you will marry up again with the sweet spot. 

I've now adopted the driver yips which only alcohol seems to cure..     

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

What's he done this time?

To be honest lergely just his usual Mr Angry act and when he missed a putt on the back 9 absolutely thumping his putter down on the green surface. I just find him hugely irritating and IMHO most of the commentators shy away from calling him out.

17 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

To be honest lergely just his usual Mr Angry act and when he missed a putt on the back 9 absolutely thumping his putter down on the green surface. I just find him hugely irritating and IMHO most of the commentators shy away from calling him out.

He plays up to the angry man thing because a few wallopers have told him its funny, also not helped by the social medias of each tour doing various "never change Tyrell! 🤣" type montages of him acting like a spoilt child. 

19 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

I have went through this previously and was advised to address the ball in the air face on with the driver and then drop directly down to the ground it will look as if you are lined up with the heel but as you swing through you will marry up again with the sweet spot. 

Funnily enough I’m going through the exact opposite of this just now and hitting everything off the heel. Thought I had a massive path issue causing my slice but turns out it was all coming out the heel. I think if you line up the centre in the air, it’ll appear to be even more lined up out the toe no? At least that’s what it’s been like for me. I’m setting up with the ball sitting almost in front of the driver as I look down now, and its (temporarily) fixed it. 

On 19/11/2022 at 14:06, kilMARKnock said:

spent an hour at the range this morning and seem to have managed to centre it a bit more again. Slowed the swing down and went back to basics and got to moving at least half way in the right direction again…

On 21/11/2022 at 17:22, Jamie_Beatson said:

spent an hour at the range this morning and seem to have managed to centre it a bit more again. Slowed the swing down and went back to basics and got to moving at least half way in the right direction again…

Try to hit a tee. Much harder than a ball and you can see where you're hitting it. Also when playing go to the edge of the tee and take a couple of practice swings right along the cut of the grass. Very helpful. You can see your swing path.

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Teams for January's Hero Cup.9bddc2c8946623c5c6c67af367c526a3.jpg

Has this been played before? Or is it for Luke Donald to have a look at the fringe golfers under considration for Ryder Cup selection (both teams pretty much made up of those who would fall into that bracket)

7 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Has this been played before? Or is it for Luke Donald to have a look at the fringe golfers under considration for Ryder Cup selection (both teams pretty much made up of those who would fall into that bracket)

It was played a couple of times a few years back under the guise of the Seve trophy.

This is basically the same thing with a new sponsor.

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

What’s everyone’s goals for improving over the winter? I’d like to get a bit more rotation and Defintely get better from inside 6 feet on the green 

Improve my fitness.......clubs are away and other than a two-man texas scramble on hogmanay (weather permitting) that's it until first week of April.

Can't make up my mind about whether or not last season was a success.  Started at 9.0 and finished at 9.6 but inbetween I had two spells at 7.1. Had a shocking September where I developed a horrendous slice which I think I sorted out in a few October rounds. 

Never won any opens or club competitions but had around 10 scores at my club in the 70's - used to always only have one or two.  I have been playing more golf though and thouroughly enjoyed it....canna wait for the new season....only 4 months to go.

On 28/11/2022 at 14:31, lichtie23 said:

What’s everyone’s goals for improving over the winter? I’d like to get a bit more rotation and Defintely get better from inside 6 feet on the green 

Aiming to keep thigs ticking over by playing 9 holes once or twice a week. 

Last few years I've benefitted from trying to stay fit through the winter months by using exercise bike each day. I'm pretty active Spring through Autumn but used to adopt hibernation mode in terms of exercise in the winter months. Doing the same again and it definitely helps me stay fit (for an old guy of 64). 

Managed to get down to Handicap Index of 6.4 last season but have a reasonable number of good scores due to leave 20 most recent once the new season starts. 

Played St Michaels the other day (£18 for 18 holes and a coffee) - great condition for the time of year with no mats required on fairway and full greens in operation. Course playing short due to winter tees in operation but was great to get out on a course where there was still a lot of bounce on the fairways. At my home course any time after November as soon as the ball hits the deck out of the air it craters into the ground and stops...

Nice wee clubhouse and joined a three ball I caught up with for the back nine which was nice. Got round in a net two under though how much that's worth I'm not sure given how short it was playing.