Golfers Thread

Gaz

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I do like to try and play on a Monday though, and Monday and Wednesday are the two days that the women play. I can usually make it out before them, but if I can't it's not too bad as most of them only play 1-8 then 17 and 18 and go for lunch, so you know you won't be stuck behind them for too long.

I’ve been a member at Ranfurly Castle in Bridge of Weir for the last few years, and possibly due to the course being in such an affluent place, they seem to have an infinite amount of women members aged 60+. I would like to see Census data from the area because the average age must be about 75. It’s like one of these Sicilian villages where the life expectancy is 98 because they live on a diet of the freshest fruit and vegetables Waitrose can deliver. I genuinely mean no harm towards them though, and I’ve spoken to many of the women either on the course, in the clubhouse or in the car park as they put their clubs and trolley back in to the boot of their Jaguar F-Pace or Porsche Cayenne. They have always been very polite and I’m glad to see them still partaking in a hobby that they enjoy and keeps them in good health. 

However…There is nothing more soul destroying than rushing home from work, getting a shower and changed into your golf gear, rushing up to the course to meet your friends, only to see 4 women standing on the first tee. I’m not a great golfer by any stretch of the imagination, but when I duff my 6 iron 20 feet infront of me, and then do it again, I’m picking my ball up and telling my playing partners to carry on. Women at my course don’t subscribe to that mentality, and will stubbornly continue to jab the ball towards the hole while I watch on from the tee box, my soul slowly eroding away with every swing. Usually I am in a 4 ball as well if it’s during the week, but I could count the amount of times a group of women has let us play through on one hand during the last 3 years. We’ve actually had a group of women that we played behind for the best part of 5 hours one afternoon, who we then bumped into in the car park when we came off the 18th green, who shouted over ‘I hope we didn’t hold you guys up’. Instead of saying what I wanted to say, which would have been ‘Of course you fucking held us up, you seen us standing on every tee box for 10 minutes watching you and your snobby pals blooter pink Srixon golf balls in to farmers fields, and duff 80% of your shots no more than 20 feet infront of you’, I just said ‘nah yous were fine’, and jumped in to my car to head butt the steering wheel multiple times. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

20 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Got an early evening tee time at the Gailes on Thursday with a few ex-colleagues. First 6 holes were played in horizontal rain and hurricane-like wind, and we were genuinely close to chucking it at one point, but on the 7th tee the clouds parted and the wind settled slightly giving us some more favourable conditions.

I actually seem to play better when the weather is bad for some reason, I’m unsure as to the reasons why. The ball doesn’t go as far but I’m much more down the middle than I usually would be on a calmer day. Instead of trying to play full iron shots like normal I was clubbing up, swinging slower and trying to make better contact with the ball. There was holes where my ball never got 30 feet above ground level, but I was almost always putting for net birdies and pars. I was the high handicapper in the 4 ball, with the next highest being 16.0 and the lowest off 5.0. I was off 22 and shot 85 (net 63) to take the £60 winnings. It’s the second lowest I’ve ever shot on any course ever, and replaced a counting score of 106 at Gullane No2 on my Scottish Golf app :lol: 

The course was in absolutely unreal condition for this time of year, and I will be doing my best to get back down sometime next summer to play it on a nice day, thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Tough conditions by the sound of it. With an early evening tee time the darkness must have made it even tougher 😉

On 29/10/2022 at 14:38, lichtie23 said:

I don’t want to promote violence lads but see these old dicks who play slow and don’t let you through…..they should be smashed across the skull with a 5 iron. Completely unacceptable the pace of play at my course this morning. Towards the end I asked to play through (I never usually asked) and the old duffer just laughed. 

This is one of the reasons I’ve completely fell away from golf this season. Me and my mates used to be able to play our medal rounds in under 3.5 hours. Usually 3 hours 20 mins ish, but every single medal this season was close to 4 hours which is laughably slow. Waiting on every tee box isn’t enjoyable. 

Took 4 hours 15 mins when we had a stableford open and that’s not including teeing off 15 mins late. 

18 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

This is one of the reasons I’ve completely fell away from golf this season. Me and my mates used to be able to play our medal rounds in under 3.5 hours. Usually 3 hours 20 mins ish, but every single medal this season was close to 4 hours which is laughably slow. Waiting on every tee box isn’t enjoyable. 

Took 4 hours 15 mins when we had a stableford open and that’s not including teeing off 15 mins late. 

It totally disrupts your rhythm as well 

I see David Dryburgh has lost his Tour Card after umpteen years on tour, after failing to get through stage 2 of Q school.

Liam Johnston, Craig Ross and Michael Stewart are the Scottish players who did get through and they'll join Stephen Gallacher and Craig Howie from the main tour and presumably Euan Walker from the Challenge Tour in final Q school qualifying next week.

12 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I see David Dryburgh has lost his Tour Card after umpteen years on tour, after failing to get through stage 2 of Q school.

Liam Johnston, Craig Ross and Michael Stewart are the Scottish players who did get through and they'll join Stephen Gallacher and Craig Howie from the main tour and presumably Euan Walker from the Challenge Tour in final Q school qualifying next week.

Is it still something like 6 rounds in the final qualifying? 

Learned a big lesson this season. Down to 10.3 last season, my lowest ever. Full of confidence, I bought a new driver. Lost all confidence off the tee. Swapped out for a different driver which was not much better. 

Handicap back up to 13.7, my old driver back in the bag and away to get a few lessons with the money I get back from selling the new driver. 

Onto next season! 

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

I remember watching that Qatar Masters playoff live, it was an absolute mugging by Campillo.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/david-drysdale-hard-luck-dp-world-tour-european-tour-winless-pro-loses-tour-card

Me too. I find it hard to believe anyone has ever played a better play off than that and not won. 

Fair play to him if he decides to keep playing on. 

A rare win for Tommy Fleetwood at the Nedbank Open, his first on the European Tour since winning the same tournament in 2019.

Richie Ramsay was 4th, Ferguson and Jamieson T13th and Law T19th. Ferguson moves up to 13th on the road to Dubai, MacIntyre stays 15th, and Ramsay jumps 12 places to 17th.

Played a nice round in the fog yesterday... only lost one ball despite the fact visibilty for the first 14 holes was about 150 yards tops.

Hitting everything with the driver and three wood out of the toe though and just can't seem to stop it.