Golfers Thread

Gaz

There will be a few headaches when they try to sort out the groupings for Thursday and Friday. 
Danny Willett and Matt Wallace will be toasting Greg Norman though, because that last batch of 6 defections has meant they both move up into the redrafted top 125 in the PGA Tour rankings and keep their cards for next season after all. 
Looking at the groupings, they haven't taken the easy option of lumping all the LIV guys together. On the other hand though they aren't in any "featured" groups either.

Best round I’ve ever had today - round in 80, a net 9 under for me off those tees with my handicap 😂

Left two putts an inch short earlier in my round and thought I’d blown my chances of a good score - only to manage get up and down for birdie from a ridiculous position on the 17th then make par on the par 5 18th to finish.

2 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Best round I’ve ever had today - round in 80, a net 9 under for me off those tees with my handicap 😂

Left two putts an inch short earlier in my round and thought I’d blown my chances of a good score - only to manage get up and down for birdie from a ridiculous position on the 17th then make par on the par 5 18th to finish.

Congrats!

Funko 47083 POP. Movies: Smokey & The Bo Bandit Darville Smokey & Bandit  Collectible Toy, Multicolour : Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

We've just had an email from Dumbarton GC about energy prices - the outlook is not good. The cheapest electricity quote is 800% up for the standing charge and 420% up on unit price. They've put a price increase on the bar stuff but I doubt that will touch the sides. Can foresee the clubhouse basically being nothing but a changing room in future if there's no help coming, and I can see a lot of smaller clubs closing altogether. 

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We've just had an email from Dumbarton GC about energy prices - the outlook is not good. The cheapest electricity quote is 800% up for the standing charge and 420% up on unit price. They've put a price increase on the bar stuff but I doubt that will touch the sides. Can foresee the clubhouse basically being nothing but a changing room in future if there's no help coming, and I can see a lot of smaller clubs closing altogether. 

Thats really depressing and a real problem over the winter.

We are meeting tomorrow night to dicuss winter opening hours - they will be cut anyway as the footfall isnt there anyway - specially in evenings.  We are fortunate that we have a wood pellet heating system which isnt significantly impacted by the increased energy prices.

When we are open in the winter we are looking to get pensioners groups etc in the clubhouse....effectively as somewhere they can keep warm (and hopefully buy teas etc)

The prices some businesses are being quoted are absolutely not sustainable and will close many - in turn making people jobless with the double whammy of stayinmg at home in a house they cannot afford to heat.

Those few clubs with reserves will probably be able to ride it out for a year or two, but a large percentage of wee local clubs that are 80% or more dependent on members' fees have been on the brink for years and the standard solution of lumping £100 on fees to "save the club" just won't cut it this year - with people struggling to make ends meet, a few hundred quid for membership fees in a market where joining fees and waiting lists are pretty much a thing of the past will pretty much be top of the "Get Rid" list for most households.

I fear the worst, tbh.