Golfers Thread

Gaz

Ewen Ferguson just edged into 2nd place in Denmark by Oliver Wilson. 

A bit disappointing but continues his superb season. Now 11th in the RTD standings. 

Bob finished tied 12th but its a step in the right direction form wise with a couple of big events coming up. 

Just watched the highlights and Wilson holed a couple of 60ft monsters in the last half dozen holes. When Ferguson finished he was clubhouse leader but Wilson birdied the 16th and 17th. Not much you can do about that. 
Ferguson had chances that just slipped past on a couple of holes late on.

On 01/09/2022 at 16:21, peasy23 said:
On 01/09/2022 at 12:10, doulikefish said:
Ewen Ferguson leading at 8 under and Boab in with a -6 so good stuff from the scots so far in himmerland 

If the two of them tank after this then it's all on you.

Decent week for both or in boabs case...finally 

On 31/08/2022 at 17:13, peasy23 said:

I’ve only ever played alongside one person that I am 99 percent sure was cheating in all the time I’ve played golf. It really is such a self defeating act to try and cheat at the game, what possible satisfaction can you take from any success when you fully well know you have cheated your playing partners?

The guy in question was a friend of a friend who had tagged along to make up the 4 ball when we had a tee time at Turnberry. Any time his drive went in to thick rough he would always sit his bag down near the fringe of where the thick rough started, and then start looking for the ball in a 10 yard radius round his bag, even when everyone had seen the line his ball had taken. He would always march ahead off the tee and a surprising amount of times he would find his ball before anyone had a chance to give him a hand looking for it. The game was only for 20 quid or something daft like that, so I wouldn’t like to know what he gets up to when it’s more serious. Me and my pal had sussed out what he was doing before we had even reached the back 9, it was genuinely sad to see. 

45 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Contrast that with the 18 LIV players who will rock up at Wentworth next week who will be doing other players out of a place in the field who might desperately need the money and ranking points.

That’s actually a pretty classy move by Watson, imo, he could have as easily hung on to his card like some others. Some people had tagged him on Twitter alerting him to the fact that Schmidt and 3 others sat just outside the KFT finals, and Watson replied at the time saying that he had resigned his card and it was up to the PGA after that, so good to see the guy got his chance. 

7A53F811-4E6E-4FE4-A2D6-B96A1234A017.jpeg

Watched a wee bit of the bonesaw last night due to nothing else being on. Unfortunately the product was pretty good and I reckon it’s here to stay. You see a lot of golf and the team format definitely has legs as it means a birdie from the guy 30th can actually mean something. I switched off before the end so it didn’t grab my attention too much but, yeah, I feel dirty. 

the backslapping and constant THIS IS SO MUCH FUN from the commentators is pretty grating and they show shots that seem like replays from weird angles that are actually “live”. Not sure why they call the leaderboard a pylon either. The shotgun start isn’t great either, quite hard to programme your brain to it when you see player x on 3 near the end

Edited by Tartan Dave

10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’ve only ever played alongside one person that I am 99 percent sure was cheating in all the time I’ve played golf. It really is such a self defeating act to try and cheat at the game, what possible satisfaction can you take from any success when you fully well know you have cheated your playing partners?

The guy in question was a friend of a friend who had tagged along to make up the 4 ball when we had a tee time at Turnberry. Any time his drive went in to thick rough he would always sit his bag down near the fringe of where the thick rough started, and then start looking for the ball in a 10 yard radius round his bag, even when everyone had seen the line his ball had taken. He would always march ahead off the tee and a surprising amount of times he would find his ball before anyone had a chance to give him a hand looking for it. The game was only for 20 quid or something daft like that, so I wouldn’t like to know what he gets up to when it’s more serious. Me and my pal had sussed out what he was doing before we had even reached the back 9, it was genuinely sad to see. 

Not quite the same level, but I played in a medal earlier this year and I'm 99% sure I caught one of the other guys in our group cheating.  Both myself and the other player had hit our tee shots up the right hand side and the other player up the left.  He was in the rough along a line of trees.  As I got to my ball I looked up and I'm sure I saw him moving his ball away from the base of a tree with his club.  He then carried on an carded a par 5.

12 minutes ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Not quite the same level, but I played in a medal earlier this year and I'm 99% sure I caught one of the other guys in our group cheating.  Both myself and the other player had hit our tee shots up the right hand side and the other player up the left.  He was in the rough along a line of trees.  As I got to my ball I looked up and I'm sure I saw him moving his ball away from the base of a tree with his club.  He then carried on an carded a par 5.

I will never understand what someone can gain from doing something like that, especially in a medal or competition. If I won my Saturday medal knowing I had knocked my ball out a bad lie I would find it hard to take any sort of enjoyment from it. It would be subconsciously tainted forever more, a reminder that I had won unfairly. I would rather not have that. 

I’ve played with a couple of older guys who will tell you before they tee off that if they find themselves sitting on tree roots or find their ball buried in the rough then they are going to move it away, but that’s in a bounce game between friends, and the older guys are playing the game for the enjoyment, not going for a score and risking taking the head off their 9 iron if they wallop a tree stump. So that situation I can understand. 

After that game at Turnberry we had went in for something to eat, the game actually ended up all square after my friend holed a monster putt on the last otherwise the cheater would have been walking away with £40 odd quid. The meal was quite a frosty affair with not much being said because myself and the pal who was in my team were pretty scunnered with his antics. My friend who knew him did admit afterwards that he had been up to something, although a 2 ball of Stevie Wonder and David Blunkett would have had their suspicions as well. 

11 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

There was a guy at my old club who was pretty notorious for this, which was bafflingly stupid because he was a decent Cat 1 player anyway. He copped a years ban for deploying the "foot wedge" in an 18 hole open. A couple of years after that he doctored a scorecard (I'd marked him as a 74 and he'd signed it, then i did). I handed him his card and went home. Discovered a week later on the comp printout he'd shot 69, queried it with the Match Sec who showed me his card - he'd changed five bogeys to pars and initialled them with my initials 😂  Somehow nothing was done about that. However his reputation had stuck: a few weeks later he shot a legit scratch 64 in a medal but no one believed it. I think he eventually fucked off to a club in the borders. 

6 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

There was a guy at my old club who was pretty notorious for this, which was bafflingly stupid because he was a decent Cat 1 player anyway. He copped a years ban for deploying the "foot wedge" in an 18 hole open. A couple of years after that he doctored a scorecard (I'd marked him as a 74 and he'd signed it, then i did). I handed him his card and went home. Discovered a week later on the comp printout he'd shot 69, queried it with the Match Sec who showed me his card - he'd changed five bogeys to pars and initialled them with my initials 😂  Somehow nothing was done about that. However his reputation had stuck: a few weeks later he shot a legit scratch 64 in a medal but no one believed it. I think he eventually fucked off to a club in the borders. 

It’s so much worse when the player doing something like that can actually play. I’ve always found golf to be a game that’s mainly ‘you Vs you’, even when playing a tie or 4somes or a competition, it’s still a very individual sport. You are continually trying to improve on the player you were yesterday, or the player you were last year, and a lot of the satisfaction comes from seeing your scores come down and your game getting better. 

I think it says a lot about a persons character if they are happy to cheat at golf. It may seem a bit OTT, but if I were to watch a good friend of mine cheating on the course I would be questioning his character in other situations away from golf. It’s an oft said quote, ‘your only cheating yourself’, but in Golf it’s very accurate. You might win the medal or club championship with some of the antics you’ve mentioned above, but at the end of the day it’s a meaningless achievement if you know in the back of your head you’ve not played by the rules. 

13 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Billy Horschel certainly won't be looking for a job in the diplomatic corps anytime soon.

There will be a few headaches when they try to sort out the groupings for Thursday and Friday. 

Danny Willett and Matt Wallace will be toasting Greg Norman though, because that last batch of 6 defections has meant they both move up into the redrafted top 125 in the PGA Tour rankings and keep their cards for next season after all.