Golfers Thread

Gaz

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/aug/29/i-hate-it-i-really-do-mcilroy-opens-up-on-golfs-civil-war-after-fedex-cup-win

“If you believe in something I think you have to speak up, and I believe very strongly about this,” said McIlroy. “I really do. I hate what it’s doing to the game of golf. I hate it. I really do. It’s going to be hard for me to stomach going to Wentworth and seeing 18 of them there. That just doesn’t sit right with me.

“So yes, I feel strongly. I believe what I’m saying are the right things, and I think when you believe that what you’re saying is the right things, you’re happy to stick your neck out on the line.”

Ancer and Kokrak the latest LIV players to remove their names from the antitrust law suit against the PGA tour, that leaves just 7 of the original 11.

Mickelson, Bryson, Poulter, Gooch, Stafford, Jones and Uhlein. I couldn't pick Stafford or Matt Jones out in an ID parade tbh.

21 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/aug/29/i-hate-it-i-really-do-mcilroy-opens-up-on-golfs-civil-war-after-fedex-cup-win

“If you believe in something I think you have to speak up, and I believe very strongly about this,” said McIlroy. “I really do. I hate what it’s doing to the game of golf. I hate it. I really do. It’s going to be hard for me to stomach going to Wentworth and seeing 18 of them there. That just doesn’t sit right with me.

“So yes, I feel strongly. I believe what I’m saying are the right things, and I think when you believe that what you’re saying is the right things, you’re happy to stick your neck out on the line.”

To play devil's advocate Rory was given $200 million by Nike aged about 21. Almost all golfers have not had anything similar. Tiger is the only one with anything comparable.

So it's easy for him to preach from that position and had he not been given that his opinion might be different.

He has also demanded and accepted enormous appearance fees to play in Saudi in the past. 

Take someone like Patrick Reed, he's never had any of that. The majority of his earnings have been winnings on course. He didn't even have a club sponsor until very recently.

I like McIlroy just things should be viewed in their full context.

15 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

To play devil's advocate Rory was given $200 million by Nike aged about 21. Almost all golfers have not had anything similar. Tiger is the only one with anything comparable.

So it's easy for him to preach from that position and had he not been given that his opinion might be different.

I'm not familiar with McIlroy's wealth and take your info at face value, although I'd be astonished if that $200m was handed to him in in a single tranche.

I'd expect that to have been a contract over several / many years with the monies spread over that period. Happy to be corrected.

With regard to his "preaching", I say more power to his elbow (irrespective of how much money he has) and it's a pity he hasn't / can't / isn't able to call out the LIV tour and Saudi Arabia's appalling human rights record & 'sportswashing' crusade  more explicitly.

ETA- I think it's fairly obvious by now that Greg Norman and the Saudis are operating on the "every man has his price" model when it comes to enticing players over to LIV.

Having said that, it's interesting that the two (presumably) wealthiest golfers (Woods & McIlroy)have told LIV to do one.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

26 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I'm not familiar with McIlroy's wealth and take your info at face value, although I'd be astonished if that $200m was handed to him in in a single tranche.

I'd expect that to have been a contract over several / many years with the monies spread over that period. Happy to be corrected.

With regard to his "preaching", I say more power to his elbow (irrespective of how much money he has) and it's a pity he hasn't / can't / isn't able to call out the LIV tour and Saudi Arabia's appalling human rights record & 'sportswashing' crusade  more explicitly.

ETA- I think it's fairly obvious by now that Greg Norman and the Saudis are operating on the "every man has his price" model when it comes to enticing players over to LIV.

Having said that, it's interesting that the two (presumably) wealthiest golfers (Woods & McIlroy)have told LIV to do one.

It's self explanatory, they don't need the money as they were already given huge signing bonuses at the start of their careers.

It doesn't make any difference how the money was distributed, he was given exactly what the Liv guys are now being offered. So it's a lot easier for him to turn it down than them, as nobody has given them hundreds of millions like McIlroy and Woods were given.

2 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

It's self explanatory, they don't need the money as they were already given huge signing bonuses at the start of their careers.

It doesn't make any difference how the money was distributed, he was given exactly what the Liv guys are now being offered. So it's a lot easier for him to turn it down than them, as nobody has given them hundreds of millions like McIlroy and Woods were given.

Perhaps you'd better take your soapbox to the English Premiership/Skysports or NBA headquarters or MLB or NFL..............it's 2022 and superstar sportspeople earn obscene amounts of money in all areas of professional sport..........and the very best make the very most.

Your singling out McIlroy as some sort of 'hypocrite' seems to be a strange choice of hill to die on.

51 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

He has also demanded and accepted enormous appearance fees to play in Saudi in the past. 

Take someone like Patrick Reed, he's never had any of that. The majority of his earnings have been winnings on course. He didn't even have a club sponsor until very recently.

I like McIlroy just things should be viewed in their full context.

Perhaps if Patrick Reed wasn't a cheat, had a more endearing personality and had a few majors under his belt, then major corporations might be tempted to offer him bags and bags of filthy lucre.

9 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Perhaps you'd better take your soapbox to the English Premiership/Skysports or NBA headquarters or MLB or NFL..............it's 2022 and superstar sportspeople earn obscene amounts of money in all areas of professional sport..........and the very best make the very most.

Your singling out McIlroy as some sort of 'hypocrite' seems to be a strange choice of hill to die on.

I'm just pointing out a pertinent fact. Unlike almost every other professional golfer to have ever lived, McIlroy was given hundreds of millions already simply for being Rory McIlroy, so that obviously makes it easier to turn down a similar amount years later.

He is not in the same position as the guys who have gone to Liv as none of them got what he did.

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Perhaps if Patrick Reed wasn't a cheat, had a more endearing personality and had a few majors under his belt, then major corporations might be tempted to offer him bags and bags of filthy lucre.

He has a major, a lot more recently than McIlroy as it happens. 

I find it funny when fanboys get all upset if you suggest their wee hero might not be the perfect human being. He's not your mate. He's not going to be your mate no matter how vociferously you defend him.

I like McIlroy but there's no doubt this is a very relevant and pertinent fact to be considered when analysing his decision. 

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

He has a major, a lot more recently than McIlroy as it happens. 

I find it funny when fanboys get all upset if you suggest their wee hero might not be the perfect human being. He's not your mate. He's not going to be your mate no matter how vociferously you defend him.

I like McIlroy but there's no doubt this is a very relevant and pertinent fact to be considered when analysing his decision. 

A truly bizarre statement. You must have been up all night formulating that argument.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

3 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

A truly bizarre statement. You must have been up all night formulating that argument.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

No, it's very common actually.

That's why fanboys aren't capable of objectivity when discussing their hero and take any comment suggesting nuance or imperfection as a personal slight.

This is a very typical example.

1 minute ago, doulikefish said:

Hold on the caddy is now on about Reed who won a major and dumped his equipment supplier for another for more cash or maybe another reed 

What's the problem with that? You're aware McIlroy did that too yeah? He hasn't always been Taylor Made.

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

What's the problem with that? You're aware McIlroy did that too yeah? He hasn't always been Taylor Made.

Yes I know that but as per you went on about Reed making out he was some sort of pauper much like Westwood at the weekend forgetting he had only made $24 mill but you crack on 

4 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Yes I know that but as per you went on about Reed making out he was some sort of pauper much like Westwood at the weekend forgetting he had only made $24 mill but you crack on 

He is compared to McIlroy. That's just a fact. They all are, none of them are in the same stratosphere financially as Woods and McIlroy. That's undeniably true, and makes it a lot easier for Woods and McIlroy to turn Liv down.

It's like I said in my first post, that's clearly a very pertinent fact when analysing McIlroy's decision in comparison to those who went to Liv.

Niemann is the only pro who attended the PGA 'gathering' fronted by Woods and McIlroy who has decided to leave.

Big news for the PGA that Matsuyama hasn't gone in terms of the Japanese market given they have now lost the two biggest names from Central/South America in Ancer and Niemann and also Lahiri who is the leading Indian.

Also read that the likes of Ancer and Gooch are expected to play at Wentworth in a couple of weeks because they have exemptions from their world ranking. Disappointing that the DP Tour haven't found a way of keeping these guys off the tour.