Golfers Thread

Gaz

11 hours ago, Stringer Bell said:

Tiger and Rory's new venture. Virtual golf with pros and celebs for 2 hours on a Monday night.

20220824_192148.thumb.jpg.d5865d16b6e85c423d381d745a1581d5.jpg

2 hours for 18 holes? Good luck with that - earlier this year I booked a hitting studio for me and 3 of my mates to play a "virtual" round. Even with the putting option turned off we only managed 8 holes (although the booze might have played a small part...)

1 hour ago, funky_nomad said:

2 hours for 18 holes? Good luck with that - earlier this year I booked a hitting studio for me and 3 of my mates to play a "virtual" round. Even with the putting option turned off we only managed 8 holes (although the booze might have played a small part...)

I don't think it's a full round, just short game stuff.

Me and my mate completed 9 in an hour on one of those virtual bays, and that was with me as not only not a very big hitter, but also grubbing about the trees a few times. These boys a 2 shots to every 4 and a fair number of 5s these days, so if its set to auto putt based on green position, it will take them about 3 minutes to play a hole.

46 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
9 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Me and my mate completed 9 in an hour on one of those virtual bays, and that was with me as not only not a very big hitter, but also grubbing about the trees a few times. These boys a 2 shots to every 4 and a fair number of 5s these days, so if its set to auto putt based on green position, it will take them about 3 minutes to play a hole.

I seen a big green in the artists impression of the studio. Maybe they still have to putt and do it there? 

Virtual golf is massive in Asia.Pubs have full blown tournaments and the locals all come fully dressed because getting a tee time is expensive and hard to get. I entered a few when I was working in South Korea but crash helmets required after beer no 10 top notch day out for about 30quid (alcohol extra) but nibbles provided and soft drinks

22 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Quite remarkable how the original 10 million prize was structured.

Yes but according to the Liv jobbers the uspga doesn't look after those at the top.Westwood having a rant yesterday about the changes forgetting he had made $24mill on it 

Rory's round was nuts 🤣

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Nightmare start for Bob as he double bogeys his first hole to drop back to level par.

He’s been pretty average this season tbh. It’s understandable with the money and the ranking points boost you get, but I wonder if heading on to the PGA Tour for a few events so quickly after coming through was the best idea. He seemed to lose some momentum that he had been building up and never really got the tournament wins behind him that he should have.

11 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

He’s been pretty average this season tbh. It’s understandable with the money and the ranking points boost you get, but I wonder if heading on to the PGA Tour for a few events so quickly after coming through was the best idea. He seemed to lose some momentum that he had been building up and never really got the tournament wins behind him that he should have.

If you look at his performances in run of the mill events he's been no better, and in a some cases worse, than his Scottish contemporaries over the last 18 months. The thing that set him apart was his performance in the majors but he now has a load of work to do to qualify for any of those now so he needs to concentrate on the DP Tour and string some results together. 

Unlikely to be this week though as he looks set to miss the cut. 

Don't think anybody would have thought at the start of the season that if there were 4 Scots in the top 40 of the DPWT rankings that Bob wouldn't be one of them.

I can understand why he went to the US last year, but he's gone from being in the top 50 this time last year to 109th. He was interviewed on course today after hitting a screamer to set up an eagle chance (which he missed), he seems to be happy enough. He did comment though that he's not one of the fittest guys out there, and maybe that's something he does have to work on.