Golfers Thread

Gaz

20 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Anyone a fan of the handicap scoring for the Tour Championship?

I can see why they do it but ruling out half the field before the tournament even starts is a bit rough. Also brings this patter of "X would have won without Y being given the head start".

I'd love if the season performance determined each player's seeding for a big match play tourny for the tour championship but would never happen. Plus the actual World Match Play event during the season isn't that great on TV.

13 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

I can see why they do it but ruling out half the field before the tournament even starts is a bit rough. Also brings this patter of "X would have won without Y being given the head start".

I'd love if the season performance determined each player's seeding for a big match play tourny for the tour championship but would never happen. Plus the actual World Match Play event during the season isn't that great on TV.

Not a fan of it either.

They have to do something, but not sure they have it right yet. The fact that the winner of the tournament and the winner of the Fedex series might be two different golfers never bothered me.

I like the idea of a match play scenario with such high stakes, but as you say it would never happen.

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

46 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Anyone a fan of the handicap scoring for the Tour Championship?

No, it's terrible and so is the whole system.

The fact that there are so many counting events and the likes of the Rocket Mortgage get as many points, or only slightly less than the big regular events like the Arnold Palmer, then hand out shitloads of points in the 2 weeks leading up to the Tour Championship. Just stupid.

I would have only the 12 biggest PGA events as qualifiers, with the top 8 qualifying for the Tour Championship, make it properly elite.

Seeing as the whole thing alongside the PIP is just a convoluted vehicle to funnel money to the players, I'd replace the 3 playoff weeks with...

Wk1. Top 100 in the money/points list play the last Tour Championship qualifyer, a huge no cut event for a massive purse.

Wk2. Move the Sentry Tournament of Champions to here. 54 holes, no cut with the Thursday having something different, maybe teams, longest drive, longest putt, closest to the hole, make it your 'All Star' game. It's already an exhibition anyway.

Wk3. 8 man Tour Championship.

16 minutes ago, Stringer Bell said:

Wk2. Move the Sentry Tournament of Champions to here. 54 holes, no cut with the Thursday having something different, maybe teams, longest drive, longest putt, closest to the hole, make it your 'All Star' game. It's already an exhibition anyway.

Add a shotgun start and take away the good players and you've got LIV Golf...

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Add a shotgun start and take away the good players and you've got LIV Golf...

Aye, I was aware of that when I was typing. I think the idea of a one off tournament of that type is fine, a whole tour like that is stupid.

The PGA could go all in on it. Call it an exhibition to reward the seasons winners with guaranteed money and not give it any OWGR.

14 minutes ago, Stringer Bell said:

Aye, I was aware of that when I was typing. I think the idea of a one off tournament of that type is fine, a whole tour like that is stupid.

The PGA could go all in on it. Call it an exhibition to reward the seasons winners with guaranteed money and not give it any OWGR.

Fully in favour if they do snidey vignettes a la WWE and Billionaire Ted and the Nacho Man

16 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'd be delighted with the birdie start, I usually start with the 10. 

I once started 2,6,2,9,nr at Cragie Hill in the boys' open. First 2 was an eagle (holed an 8-iron).

Head went completely! 🤣

4 hours ago, printer said:

I once started 2,6,2,9,nr at Cragie Hill in the boys' open. First 2 was an eagle (holed an 8-iron).

Head went completely! 🤣

2s on the 1st and 3rd there are some going… the fourth is a right fucker with the blind tee shot and the fifth is a nightmare from the back tees 😂

Reports that Hideki is staying with the PGA, which would be massive. Same with Scott, Niemann, Cantley and Young.
It's possible that the only really big name to ju.mp will be Cam Smith.
Dan Rapaport saying LIV are throwing everything at Hideki as that would open up a huge market in Japan and a likely massive TV deal.

No Laying Up saying Hideki is staying with the PGA.

13 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Yip Hideki is probably the key for Liv.

With him they basically guarantee an Asia wide tv deal and a whole continent of viewers 

I'm looking forward to them glossing over the failure to get Matsuyama by unveiling someone like Corey Connors so they can tap into that all important Canadian market. 

16 hours ago, printer said:

Head went completely! 🤣

My favourite was rocking up for an 18 hole open at Camperdown after a night out at DeStihls, and suffering a seriously unpleasant comedown. Somehow I was -3 under 5 holes. I then had a drink of lucozade and tried to eat a cheese roll and completely fell apart. I NRed on 11 but was only in a 2 ball so still had to walk round the rest, on a boiling hot afternoon, praying for a painless death. Fucking idiot 😂

Edited by Day of the Lords

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

2s on the 1st and 3rd there are some going… the fourth is a right fucker with the blind tee shot and the fifth is a nightmare from the back tees 😂

Aye, my true form came out on the 4th and 5th. Thank I used a 4 wood to catch the front of the 3rd, then holed a 30 footer. 😆

Haven't played the course since about 1973! 

3 minutes ago, printer said:

Aye, my true form came out on the 4th and 5th. Thank I used a 4 wood to catch the front of the 3rd, then holed a 30 footer. 😆

Haven't played the course since about 1973! 

I played it at the start of the year and wasn’t a fan. Too many blind tee shots. Far to hilly for me as well 

Edited by lichtie23