Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

Her supporters are all absolutely blazing :lol:

Can literally see those curtains twitching in the clubhouse behind. Bunch of drunk Saffers running about the 18th gren spraying beer, they'll be absolutely fuming.

On 05/08/2022 at 18:58, Ro Sham Bo said:

Don't know if anyone on here has ever played Falkland GC, but the first 100 yards of the par 5 2nd hole shares the same real estate as Lomond Vics' football ground. 

20220805_172813.jpg

I haven’t played the course, but I have refereed a game on the pitch. Certainly a standout amongst the grounds I ever officiated at. 

Playing my first round in a good while on Tuesday. Been at the range 2 or 3 time in preparation. Including one time where I borrowed my mates 9 iron to play him at closest to the pin on the tracker thing.

Immediately noticed a difference in ball flight and shape, as well as consistency.

My irons, whilst not cheap, are 10 or 11 years old....

I honestly dint know if technology progress can explain that, but it really felt like it.

Then he told me they cost a grand [emoji2961]

36 minutes ago, Stringer Bell said:

Tom Kim is a pler. Quadruple bogey 8 on his 1st hole on Thursday and he's leading by 4 with 2 to play. First player born after the year 2000 to win on Tour.

Wins it easily with a glorious final round 61 😂

Replaying the same hole again and again is shit.
Mental decision, especially at a course with so many great holes as Muirfield does. I suppose part of it is to do with crowd control,but the crowd was visibly dwindling with every trip down 18.

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Playing my first round in a good while on Tuesday. Been at the range 2 or 3 time in preparation. Including one time where I borrowed my mates 9 iron to play him at closest to the pin on the tracker thing.

Immediately noticed a difference in ball flight and shape, as well as consistency.

I honestly dint know if technology progress can explain that, but it really felt like it.

Then he told me they cost a grand emoji2961.png

I changed from an old package set that cost me £300 in 2010 to a set of Taylormade Stealth irons earlier this year. Not cheap, obviously, but the difference is massive. Basically it has allowed me to club down by two on every single shot - so for example my 7 iron would go 130ish previously, the new ones go about 150. But the big thing is that the ball flight is so much more consistent. Unless I absolutely shank it (which does still happen far too frequently...) it generally comes out really nicely. Far more forgiving overall.

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Then he told me they cost a grand emoji2961.png

4 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I changed from an old package set that cost me £300 in 2010 to a set of Taylormade Stealth irons earlier this year. Not cheap, obviously, but the difference is massive. Basically it has allowed me to club down by two on every single shot - so for example my 7 iron would go 130ish previously, the new ones go about 150. But the big thing is that the ball flight is so much more consistent. Unless I absolutely shank it (which does still happen far too frequently...) it generally comes out really nicely. Far more forgiving overall.

I have been thinking about this as well. I've got a set of Callaway x 18 irons which I must have bought sometime between 2005 and 2010 - can't remember exactly when.

I've not played that much over the last 5 to 10 years so they are still in very good condition and I like them a lot, but I have been wondering what difference a new set would make.

I think the fact I got them properly fitted made a big difference too. I also got a new driver (PXG 0211 - quite a lot cheaper than your Taylormades/Callaways etc) and the difference in the numbers when I got the right shaft etc in it was pretty huge.

No coincidence that I went out on the course the other day and hit every single driver 240 yards plus - including one that bounced out to 275 - when in the past I was maybe getting 200-210 yards, with the ball generally spinning off in all directions.

Wandering up to that 275 yard drive - leaving myself a gap wedge into a green that I used to always need a hybrid into - was extremely pleasing.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

There's a big difference in irons over the last 10 years.

We got my old man fitted for a set of Callaway RAZR X when he retired in 2012 (they were a 2011 release), and he hit the ball really well with them, so never changed. I got a new set just before Christmas, so gave him my Rogue irons that I got in 2018 to see if he fancied them, and, if not, I'd just trade them in or stick them on Golfbidder. He finally took them out at the beginning of July, and they haven't left his bag. He hits them longer and straighter than he ever has, despite being 75 with a climbing handicap.

Genuinely, if you have a set that are 10 years old, you are missing out. I wouldn't necessarily say go and get the newest kit, but something much more up to date is far more forgiving and longer for the mid to high handicapper, and even single figure players will notice a difference

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Genuinely, if you have a set that are 10 years old, you are missing out. I wouldn't necessarily say go and get the newest kit, but something much more up to date is far more forgiving and longer for the mid to high handicapper, and even single figure players will notice a difference

I couldn't agree more with this - up until last year, I was playing a set of 15-year-old Mizunos, lovely to look at, great feedback, and I wasn't buying the hype about new clubs. I got fitted for Taylor Made's last year and the difference is extraordinary. I opted for more height and consistency than length during my fitting, and the amount of control I now have on a "normal" swing is markedly improved (of course, finding my "normal" swing is easier said than done... 😆). Consistency has been the biggest upturn - my Handicap Index has been steadily coming down after a 6-month lay-off to the extent that I now have 8 "free hits" to play with towards the end of the season and my target of 5.5 looks well within range.

A set of recent, fitted sticks combined with a decent ball will make a huge difference (I have a mate who spent upwards of £1500 for a new fitted set recently, including getting fitted for a putter, but he still plays with tatties that have been in his, or someone else's, bag since about the turn of the century - it drives me potty! 🙄)

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

There's a big difference in irons over the last 10 years.

We got my old man fitted for a set of Callaway RAZR X when he retired in 2012 (they were a 2011 release), and he hit the ball really well with them, so never changed. I got a new set just before Christmas, so gave him my Rogue irons that I got in 2018 to see if he fancied them, and, if not, I'd just trade them in or stick them on Golfbidder. He finally took them out at the beginning of July, and they haven't left his bag. He hits them longer and straighter than he ever has, despite being 75 with a climbing handicap.

4 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

I couldn't agree more with this - up until last year, I was playing a set of 15-year-old Mizunos, lovely to look at, great feedback, and I wasn't buying the hype about new clubs. I got fitted for Taylor Made's last year and the difference is extraordinary. I opted for more height and consistency than length during my fitting, and the amount of control I now have on a "normal" swing is markedly improved (of course, finding my "normal" swing is easier said than done... 😆). Consistency has been the biggest upturn - my Handicap Index has been steadily coming down after a 6-month lay-off to the extent that I now have 8 "free hits" to play with towards the end of the season and my target of 5.5 looks well within range.

A set of recent, fitted sticks combined with a decent ball will make a huge difference (I have a mate who spent upwards of £1500 for a new fitted set recently, including getting fitted for a putter, but he still plays with tatties that have been in his, or someone else's, bag since about the turn of the century - it drives me potty! 🙄)

Cheers. I now know for certain that any dodgy iron shots I hit are completely the fault of my outdated equipment and nothing at all to do with the flaws in my game... 

I’m playing with a brand new set of irons. They’re Lynx Predator irons, this is the third set of them I’ve owned. I tried a more expensive brand in the past, but with them (Callaways), couldn’t hit a coo’ on the arse wi’ a stringed instrument. Went back to my favourite cheap as chips Predators. Hope Lynx don’t stop making them! My handicap has remained constant at about 11.5 exact from age 50 through to my current auld fartdom of 61, so I can’t complain. They just give me absolute confidence and feel good. If you find what works for you, stick with it I say. 😄