Golfers Thread

Gaz

On 18/07/2022 at 13:14, EvilScotsman said:

Away from the LIV circus and back to "why golf is amazing", I'm playing my first competitive golf in 20 years next weekend, in a 2 day Stableford event at Goswick. Currently, the excitement and anticipation is currently edging out the absolute fear of shanking the opening tee shot, but I fully expect that to have reversed by the time I get there!

Being paired with a +1 and a 4 handicap and being last to play didn't help with the opening tee nerves, and I struggled with the wind on the first day - 31 points put me 23rd out of 52. The wind switched direction for day two, and was joined by torrential rain, but despite my umbrella breaking on the 9th my 36 points (4th best of the day, though ~15 didn't finish) was good enough for a seventh place finish. The highlight was definitely lipping out for eagle after driving the 18th in a right to left crosswind on day two.

I can highly recommend Goswick, and if you're making a trip of it Bamburgh Castle, Dunstanburgh Castle and Newbiggin are all worth playing too. Herself (still in Sheffield) has tested positive for Covid, so I'm now stuck here for a few extra days. Now, where should I play tomorrow....?

20 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

Being paired with a +1 and a 4 handicap and being last to play didn't help with the opening tee nerves, and I struggled with the wind on the first day - 31 points put me 23rd out of 52. The wind switched direction for day two, and was joined by torrential rain, but despite my umbrella breaking on the 9th my 36 points (4th best of the day, though ~15 didn't finish) was good enough for a seventh place finish. The highlight was definitely lipping out for eagle after driving the 18th in a right to left crosswind on day two.

I can highly recommend Goswick, and if you're making a trip of it Bamburgh Castle, Dunstanburgh Castle and Newbiggin are all worth playing too. Herself (still in Sheffield) has tested positive for Covid, so I'm now stuck here for a few extra days. Now, where should I play tomorrow....?

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/england/northumberland

The highest rated in that area. Would be heading to Goswick or Alnmouth if it was me.

Edited by Stringer Bell

36 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Liv going for Asia by the sounds of it at the rate they are announcing tournaments over there who will be the first player to leave because they are playing too much 🤣

Guys rejoining the PGA because they want to spend more time with their family.

I’ve had a really good run of competitive rounds recently. After another good round today I reckon my handicap index will be down to an all time low of 6.0. Good round today aided by an outrageous piece of good fortune on the par 4 7th. Second  shot looked well right to the extent I hit a provisional. Wandered down to find the first ball sitting on the green about 15 feet from the pin. The putt never looked like missing and gained me 4 Stableford points. 😀

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

15 hours ago, EvilScotsman said:

Goswick is a lovely course, and I also really enjoyed Bamburgh Castle. Cracking views on the latter.

If you don't mind heading inland a wee bit, I can recommend Hexham - the greens were fantastic when I played there a few years back.

Just now, parsforlife said:

With players being tempted by LIV. Have any of their sponsors kicked off yet? Surely they can’t be happy to be getting less exposure and/or being tainted by association.

Most of them have had the plug pulled by at least some of their sponsors. I imagine any loss is more than covered by their LIV income so I doubt they'll care.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

With players being tempted by LIV. Have any of their sponsors kicked off yet? Surely they can’t be happy to be getting less exposure and/or being tainted by association.

PXG dropped Patrick Reed

On 27/07/2022 at 13:01, Honest_Man#1 said:

If anyone in the ayrshire area fancies a confidence boost I would highly recommend Fullarton on the municipal Troon Links. Shot my best ever round by a mile at the weekend, with a 6 over par 72. Doubled the first and the last, went through the middles 16 in 2 over. Previous best round was 13 over.

Aye that or the old course.

Talking of sponsors, Ken Brown posted a picture of a letter on twitter the other day, it was hist first ever golf ball contract with Dunlop.

It provided him with "half a dozen per month for the months of March to October inclusive, and a quarter of a dozen in the months of January, February, November and December." [emoji23]

On 20/07/2022 at 09:48, Caledonian1 said:

£380 is a mental amount simply to fly golf clubs independently of your own air travel - surely they will be flown over (or am I missing something that they are called SHIPsticks) Any cargo on a plane is at risk of not turning up so I am not sure what your £380 gets you.  Would imagine it would be cheaper to buy a second hand set in Portugal....or rent 

I agree it is a mental price. However I wouldn’t want to arrange 10 days off work, spend my hard earned money on a golfing holiday, and then my clubs don’t appear off the flight. I don’t know if you’ve seen some of the horror stories on Twitter recently? European Tour players having their clubs going missing for 3 or 4 weeks, the Americans that travelled over to Scotland recently for once in a lifetime golf holidays having to rent clubs because their luggage was left sitting in a pile at Heathrow Airport?

I’m bad enough at golf with my own clubs that are fitted to me, so the option of renting clubs over in Vilamoura doesn’t really appeal to me either. ShipSticks can collect your clubs from your house and ship to your hotel in ‘2-6 days’ according to their website. My clubs and bag combined have cost the best part of 2 and a half grand, so a few hundred to almost guarantee safe travel doesn’t seem like the worst deal when weighed up against the risk of loss/damage right now. 

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Talking of sponsors, Ken Brown posted a picture of a letter on twitter the other day, it was hist first ever golf ball contract with Dunlop.

It provided him with "half a dozen per month for the months of March to October inclusive, and a quarter of a dozen in the months of January, February, November and December." emoji23.png

I saw that :lol: he must have been some player if those Dunlop balls lasted him all year. The first time I played Gullane No.2 a few years ago, I had to buy a dozen TaylorMade TPz balls from the pro shop because I’d turned up with only one Srixon soft feel in my bag. 

It was the windiest day that I’ve ever played golf in, and after losing the Srixon somewhere in the rough on the 2nd, I proceeded to go through 11 of the 12 Taylormades on the rest of the holes. Funny thing was that I had said to my pals on the first tee that I always play well when I buy good balls from the pro shop, after I bought a sleeve of club branded ProV1s at Kingsbarns a few months prior and played the full round with the same ball. 

As would be expected in this benign weather, the pros are eating Fairmont for breakfast at the Hero Open.

Ewan Ferguson has signed for an -11 under 61, which was 12 shots better than his opening round. Current lead in the clubhouse is -15.