Golfers Thread

Gaz

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Played in an annual Ryder Cup style event* (Glasgow Vs Edinburgh) with mates over the weekend. 72 holes in two days with nights out on Friday and Saturday, about 8 hours sleep in total. Great fun but my hand/forearm is absolutely destroyed, legs aching like crazy, the fatigue is unreal. The final round singles was at Kilspindie in some of the wildest conditions I’ve played in. Completely saturated by hole 5. Real shame as I think it would be a really fun course in normal weather. When the club is slipping out of your hands and a drive is going 80 yards it’s hard to judge the course properly.

*A glorious Edinburgh victory 5.5 to 4.5.

I played it for the 5th time a few weeks back there. Kilspindie is class and one of my favourite courses and the wee par 3 over the beach one of my favourite holes. It is always windy down there though.

After almost a year of playing dreadfully in the weekend comps I finally managed to pull it together yesterday with 43 points, 19 out and 24 back which included an OOB at 16th, the poor play saw my index spiral from 10.2 to 14.8, knocked 0.6 off yesterday and a much needed confidence boost. Target of back down to 12 for the end of the season.

30 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

I played it for the 5th time a few weeks back there. Kilspindie is class and one of my favourite courses and the wee par 3 over the beach one of my favourite holes. It is always windy down there though.

Yeah I’d been looking forward to playing it for ages. Real kick in the stones when you’ve paid £90 for a round and you’re completely soaked through with 13 holes left to play & can’t even keep ahold of the club properly. Had to just play without a glove as it was wrecked. 

17 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

After almost a year of playing dreadfully in the weekend comps I finally managed to pull it together yesterday with 43 points, 19 out and 24 back which included an OOB at 16th, the poor play saw my index spiral from 10.2 to 14.8, knocked 0.6 off yesterday and a much needed confidence boost. Target of back down to 12 for the end of the season.

Must have won the comp with that score 

Schoolboy error playing well in my medal yesterday  Gross 78 got me a cut of 0.6 overnight - terrible timing as playing in the Nairn five day Open today and this cut means getting 10 shots instead of 11 per qualifying round.  I was four over after four then only three over for next 14 holes.

Played in the Nairn event last year and thought the recent changes to the course were brilliant......it really is a top class course.  However qualifying was down to one round due to lightening...and even then only half usual number qualified as the Wednesday was a complete wash out too,  Weather this year is better but still not great with rain, pretty strong winds and 15c today.

45 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Must have won the comp with that score 

Last time I checked there were 2 players on 42 and only a handful of players to return their score, awaiting final conformation of the result but hopefully I've got it. Gets my name on one of the club trophy's for the 1st time in 4 years and an invite to end of season prizegiving

2 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Last time I checked there were 2 players on 42 and only a handful of players to return their score, awaiting final conformation of the result but hopefully I've got it. Gets my name on one of the club trophy's for the 1st time in 4 years and an invite to end of season prizegiving

Well done mate. Hopefully a nice upturn in form you as well 

7 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Last time I checked there were 2 players on 42 and only a handful of players to return their score, awaiting final conformation of the result but hopefully I've got it. Gets my name on one of the club trophy's for the 1st time in 4 years and an invite to end of season prizegiving, where I will be roundly booed for running up my handicap so I could target this comp

FTFY :whistle

Good effort though.

On a serious note, anyone got any recommendations for a travel cover? Mine is sadly no longer fit for purpose, after only getting 14 years out of it. Outrageous.

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

FTFY :whistle

Good effort though.

On a serious note, anyone got any recommendations for a travel cover? Mine is sadly no longer fit for purpose, after only getting 14 years out of it. Outrageous.

🤣🤣

It was the Pro's Day at Tulliallan on Saturday - with a new-ish Pro seeking to make his mark, the Committee was persuaded to make this a much bigger event, with a nice wee trophy commemorating one of the club's former Pro and lifelong member Sandy Horne (who still plays off about 10 despite being well into his 70's) and a much bigger budget.

As a result, there were very decent prizes at every hole for nearest the pin in regulation stuff like a 4-ball at Montrose, a GPS watch, an Odyssey putter and a Motocaddy trolley) - I ended up winning an official 150th Open cart bag for being nearest in 2 at the 9th, hitting a raking 6-iron into the wind to a  back pin tucked behind a bunker, which ended up 15ft away. Given all the other winners were within a couple of feet at most, I reckon I lucked out on having to wait an age on the 8th tree and being able to give the 9th pin placement a good scouting 😆

Despite being +5 after 4 holes, I managed to get to the turn +4 and held it together on the back nine for a wee downward adjustment - having come though a run of 5 good counting scores in 6 rounds relatively unscathed (handicap index went up +0.5 in that time), I now have a run of about 10 Free Hits, so I'm looking to equal or better my lowest handicap index of 5.5 by the end of the season.

Not a bad weekend!

Delighted that piercy back 9 was as mad as his Qanon rants 

Scottish winner in the Dpwt and an absolute car crash round by me Sunday morning (+9 after hcp applied) rounded off a lovely weekend 🤣

I played in a 3 man scramble at Campsie GC on Saturday. My own course Bishopbriggs is almost dead flat, Campsie is the opposite. My legs were in tatters on Sunday. As were my arms with midgie bites.

We had 6 shots, and managed a bogey free nett 58. Will find out from my workmate who invited me tonight if that was anywhere near the prizes.

We have got one prize though. All the par 3s had a nearest the pin, except the 14th. Instead, that was their money hole for any team scoring a 2. It's downhill about 185 yards to a narrow green with a bank on the right hand side and everything sloping away to the left. I caught a six iron perfectly, it bounced just short of the front edge and ran up to about 8 feet. As standard, I missed the putt, but the second attempt went in.

I hadn't played at Campsie for a few years, but it is much improved from my last visit.

Played my 1st Greensomes match tonight. Even though it was a successful evening and we won 1up I can’t say I was a fan of the format. Didn’t feel I could get into any rhythm and due to my partner 1 putting the 1st 3 holes I didn’t have a putt until the 4th. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Played my 1st Greensomes match tonight. Even though it was a successful evening and we won 1up I can’t say I was a fan of the format. Didn’t feel I could get into any rhythm and due to my partner 1 putting the 1st 3 holes I didn’t have a putt until the 4th.

I love Greensomes and Foursomes, they're so much more fun than Better-Ball.

I used to play in an annual match between 2 winter sweeps and we played an adapted form of Greensomes called Gruesomes - at 3 holes per 9, your opponents got to choose your team's drive. It's a totally demonic format that they should introduce into Ryder Cup matches asap.

10 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

8 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

I love Greensomes and Foursomes, they're so much more fun than Better-Ball.

I used to play in an annual match between 2 winter sweeps and we played an adapted form of Greensomes called Gruesomes - at 3 holes per 9, your opponents got to choose your team's drive. It's a totally demonic format that they should introduce into Ryder Cup matches asap.

Foursomes is the best form of golf, absolutely brilliant fun. Unsure if you were playing with someone you don’t know Lichtie as that would be a bit shite, but if you’ve got a good partner then the strategy involved in shot choice etc as a pair just makes it so much fun.

I played in a 3 man scramble at Campsie GC on Saturday. My own course Bishopbriggs is almost dead flat, Campsie is the opposite. My legs were in tatters on Sunday. As were my arms with midgie bites.

We had 6 shots, and managed a bogey free nett 58. Will find out from my workmate who invited me tonight if that was anywhere near the prizes.

We have got one prize though. All the par 3s had a nearest the pin, except the 14th. Instead, that was their money hole for any team scoring a 2. It's downhill about 185 yards to a narrow green with a bank on the right hand side and everything sloping away to the left. I caught a six iron perfectly, it bounced just short of the front edge and ran up to about 8 feet. As standard, I missed the putt, but the second attempt went in.

I hadn't played at Campsie for a few years, but it is much improved from my last visit.

So our nett 58 wasn't good enough for a prize, but our scratch 64 came third, so a wee bonus for that along with the 2.

If anyone in the ayrshire area fancies a confidence boost I would highly recommend Fullarton on the municipal Troon Links. Shot my best ever round by a mile at the weekend, with a 6 over par 72. Doubled the first and the last, went through the middles 16 in 2 over. Previous best round was 13 over.