Golfers Thread

Gaz

I regard Rory McIlroy the same way I regard Andy Murray - even if they never win another tournament, they could walk away from their careers with their heads held high. Not just for their individual majors / grand slams, but for their Ryder Cups / Olympics.

Delighted that Smith done it, not just because he won me money or because he’s a superb golfer but he seems like genuinely decent, humble guy. If I’m being honest the Rory wankfest the last couple of days from the usual Twitter crowd (No Laying Up, I’m looking at you) and the pundits had me really rooting against him today. Hopefully he gets back on the major train at some point, preferably when McGinley has chucked the punditry. 

3 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Most likely off to liv. That one hurts a little. Always gave the impression of not being so interested in the cash

F3EC78F3-8C61-4DB1-85A8-6975F83E7D93.jpeg

That would be a big one but with him being an Aussie perhaps not a shock. Now he's won a major as well he has a 5 year exemption for them all as well which might make the decision that bit easier. Definitely a blow for the PGA Tour though. 

Stenson seems likely to be announced also which is a tad embarrassing for the European Tour.

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Delighted that Smith done it, not just because he won me money or because he’s a superb golfer but he seems like genuinely decent, humble guy. If I’m being honest the Rory wankfest the last couple of days from the usual Twitter crowd (No Laying Up, I’m looking at you) and the pundits had me really rooting against him today. Hopefully he gets back on the major train at some point, preferably when McGinley has chucked the punditry. 

Agree with this. On the whole I like Rory but the media coverage is ridiculously biased in his favour. Often even at the expense of the English players. 

Agree with this. On the whole I like Rory but the media coverage is ridiculously biased in his favour. Often even at the expense of the English players. 
It's continual with the Sky pundits in every event he plays in whether he plays well or not. Tiresome to say the least.

2 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Was caddying today actually. Still do part time. Had.....a club pro from Madrid. 77.

I've worked in golf for over 20 years mate. Amazingly enough you do meet professional golfers. All the time.

Americans often bring their club pro as it happens. It's not that I'm a fantasist, it's just you don't know anything about golf.

😂

You're a fucking lunatic 

Very much after the man event, but the final round of the Barracuda Championship is underway at Tahoe.

It's a modified stableford system, 8 points for albatross, 5 points for eagle, 2 for birdie, 0 for par, -1 for bogey, -3 for double bogey or worse.

Martin Laird currently 2nd, 5 points behind Chez Reavie. Scott Jamieson is T25th, another decent result for him.

19 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Very much after the man event, but the final round of the Barracuda Championship is underway at Tahoe.

It's a modified stableford system, 8 points for albatross, 5 points for eagle, 2 for birdie, 0 for par, -1 for bogey, -3 for double bogey or worse.

Martin Laird currently 2nd, 5 points behind Chez Reavie. Scott Jamieson is T25th, another decent result for him.

Plus Alex Noren is still in the running in tied 4th. A good result there might make him feel better after he inadvertently passed on the Open this week. 

I don't dislike Mcilroy, always think he seems really good when he talks, loving his stand against the LIV tour but because of Laura Davies and Paul Mcginley and Sky in generals complete Rory love in I found myself thinking anyone but Rory! Except DJ and his LIV tour buddies! 

Tremendous round from Cam yesterday, he's a man who has the mental side of the game down at the moment, and his putting and is outrageous. Rory on the other hand hasn't had that down for a long time and always has at least 1 round that lets him down, usually at crunch moments. I'm sure he'll get it back some day but the longer this run goes on the more it'll affect that side of the game.

I'd be really disappointed if Smith went to LIV. He has the world at his feet right now and that just feels like a short sighted decision. Hopefully that answer was just because he was annoyed to be asked but if you're not interested in it then it's the easiest thing to deny.

Tremendous round from Cam yesterday, he's a man who has the mental side of the game down at the moment, and his putting and is outrageous. Rory on the other hand hasn't had that down for a long time and always has at least 1 round that lets him down, usually at crunch moments. I'm sure he'll get it back some day but the longer this run goes on the more it'll affect that side of the game.
I'd be really disappointed if Smith went to LIV. He has the world at his feet right now and that just feels like a short sighted decision. Hopefully that answer was just because he was annoyed to be asked but if you're not interested in it then it's the easiest thing to deny.
Smith has the benefit of having a 5 year exemption for all the majors, I'm not sure any of them will change their entry criteria, bit will just rely on the LIV guys sliding down the OWGR and not qualifying.

LIV are also getting close to the point where they either need to increase from 48 to 54 players, or they start to shed some bodies. Harding said at the Scottish last week that he hadn't signed a contract with LIV.

There has to be a real fear though that with the majors done for the year then a fresh spate of defections could follow.

Laird finished 3rd in the Barracuda. Alex Noren was runner up after his last minute trip across the Atlantic, so at least it was worth his while.
I sacked it when they still had about 6 holes left. It's a great result for Laird as it lifts him to 98th on the FedEx and all but guarantees him his card for next year.