Golfers Thread

Gaz

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I couldn’t really give a flying f**k what the current US Open champion thinks of it tbh. Tiger Woods claims it’s hands down his favourite course, I’m more interested in what he thinks about it than Matt Fitzpatrick tbh, and even at that I’m quite happy to form my own judgement. I’m not some Old Course fan boy, I don’t think anyone is. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the golf being played there this week and in the past  and thoroughly enjoyed my day out there on Thursday. Any time I have visited St Andrews in the past I love being around the town and the course, I like to see people getting excited at being there and having a chance to play on the course. I think you need to accept that people don’t really give that much of a shit about the intricate technical details of every golf course or every hole. It’s hosting a superb tournament and it has historical value. People like it for what it is, despite you somehow believing that everyone is just blinded by some marketing ploy simply because you hold a grudge against it.

I never denied any of that. I have only talked purely about the course. One of the best golfers on earth just backed up everything I've said. Even Tiger has never said it's a good course or a good test for modern golfers, just that he likes it.

And I think there is a lot of old course fanboys. All I've said is I don't like a golf course and don't think it's a very good course and you'd think I'd run over someone's dog or something. Been abused repeatedly for saying I don't think a golf course is a very good course. Attacked personally for expressing an opinion shared by almost everyone who knows it. That's weird.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Seve, Nicklaus and Tiger all put winning at St Andrews at the top of the pile. I think we can file a vague answer from Matt Fitzpatrick in the bin next to all the wee bum hurt Carnoustie puddle drinkers opinions. 

Yes. Show me one of them describing it as a good course. Not the history, not how 'special' it is, actually talking about it as a golf course. You won't cause they don't. The reason for that is it's not a good course.

5 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Yes. Show me one of them describing it as a good course. Not the history, not how 'special' it is, actually talking about it as a golf course. You won't cause they don't. The reason for that is it's not a good course.

I think you've made your point.  And the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel is no better than the gable end of a Partick tenement.

Check out Bobby Jones' 1927 quote on St Andrews - it still stands up.

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think you've made your point.  And the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel is no better than the gable end of a Partick tenement.

Check out Bobby Jones' 1927 quote on St Andrews - it still stands up.

Apparently not though. Cause your response is not appropriate if that's the case. The Sistine chapel is what it is cause it's magnificent. The old course is not. So you are alleging I am making a ridiculous comparison when that's not true. So apparently my point still hasn't gotten through to you.

I have no idea what courses you've played in your life. But I guarantee you've played several much better than the old course. Ranked purely as how good it is as a course it wouldn't make top 150 in Scotland.

[emoji23] was just coming on to post that. It’s my wee brother, who I was sitting next to. Fucking brilliant. He also caught Shane Lowry’s at 10. I missed that one, but did see his one at 9, and Finau’s earlier in the day.

Add myself front and centre to the golf love-in. We were there on Thursday, played Downfield on Friday, and then back down yesterday. Absolutely magnificent few days. Was down with my pals on Thursday, so just stood / sat by the 9th green / 10th tee all day. So entertaining seeing so many phenomenal golfers smash ones through the back and under the grandstand (Bryson was the first which was very funny). Right next to the bars and that too so ended up pretty boozy. Very good laugh.

First time playing downfield. Cracking Parkland course. Plenty of trees and bunkers but also open enough not to be impossible. Shot an 85, which considering how rough and tired I was l, I was pretty pleased with.

Yesterday was class. Down with the old boy and two wee brothers. We followed Bob round the course until he finished, then went to the 9th for a good while, and finished at the 10th green / 11th tee before I went to get the train back. Was interesting being in the same spot by the 9th green and seeing the adjustments the players had made with their drives, not a single one through the back yesterday.

The whole set-up is fucking brilliant, and the weather the entire time I was anywhere near a golf course was magnificent. Averaged about 23k steps over each of the three days, so it’ll be a well deserved couch day watching it all unfold today. What a game

I honestly don't, would say 11 that's a genuinely good par 3, and probably 17. Outside of that I'm struggling, suppose 18 cause the last hole is all caddies favourite as they're finished after that. 
People say the same of pebble beach btw, apparently five good holes the rest very forgettable. Spyglass regarded as better and Cypress better than both but you can't play there unless a member signs you on.

1, 17 and 18.

5 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

emoji23.png was just coming on to post that. It’s my wee brother, who I was sitting next to. Fucking brilliant. He also caught Shane Lowry’s at 10. I missed that one, but did see his one at 9, and Finau’s earlier in the day.

Add myself front and centre to the golf love-in. We were there on Thursday, played Downfield on Friday, and then back down yesterday. Absolutely magnificent few days. Was down with my pals on Thursday, so just stood / sat by the 9th green / 10th tee all day. So entertaining seeing so many phenomenal golfers smash ones through the back and under the grandstand (Bryson was the first which was very funny). Right next to the bars and that too so ended up pretty boozy. Very good laugh.

First time playing downfield. Cracking Parkland course. Plenty of trees and bunkers but also open enough not to be impossible. Shot an 85, which considering how rough and tired I was l, I was pretty pleased with.

Yesterday was class. Down with the old boy and two wee brothers. We followed Bob round the course until he finished, then went to the 9th for a good while, and finished at the 10th green / 11th tee before I went to get the train back. Was interesting being in the same spot by the 9th green and seeing the adjustments the players had made with their drives, not a single one through the back yesterday.

The whole set-up is fucking brilliant, and the weather the entire time I was anywhere near a golf course was magnificent. Averaged about 23k steps over each of the three days, so it’ll be a well deserved couch day watching it all unfold today. What a game

Downfield is brilliant. Fantastic golf course. Maybe the best parkland course in Scotland. Lots of fun, varied, can play holes differently be aggressive or conservative off the tee. Excellent course.

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
49 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:
I honestly don't, would say 11 that's a genuinely good par 3, and probably 17. Outside of that I'm struggling, suppose 18 cause the last hole is all caddies favourite as they're finished after that. 
People say the same of pebble beach btw, apparently five good holes the rest very forgettable. Spyglass regarded as better and Cypress better than both but you can't play there unless a member signs you on.

1, 17 and 18.

Not a big fan of one but it's almost interesting in how simple it is. Once caddied for a German guy who hooked it OB left on the first tee hit a car. Reload, sliced it OB right. That fairway is 129 yards wide. If you can miss it both sides you need a new sport golf isn't for you.

Tbf to the old course top 150 is harsh, but it definitely wouldn't be top 50 in Scotland.

I've enjoyed David Howell's on course commentary the last couple of days. I know he was a good player back in the day but if he could make the game look half as easy as he makes it sound he'd be in the running for the Open today. 

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

The reigning US open champion said it isn't fit for the modern game mate. I mean how much more confirmation do you want?

It isn’t fit for the modern game, which is exactly why it is a great venue for the Open. If it was fit for the modern game then they would make the Par 3s 250 yards long, the Par 4s 550 yards long, and the Par 5s 950 yards long. They’d then deliberately engineer one Par 4 that could be hit from the tee.

St Andrews is great because these modern big hitting pros have to think a bit more. What St Andrews needs is a bit of wind to spice it up, but the weather has been pretty calm. Personally, I’d rather watch the Open in warm sunshine and burnt fairways, rather than pishing rain and/or gale force winds. I’m hoping for a Nicklaus / Watson ‘Duel in the Sun’ today between McIlroy and Hovland.

Incidentally, and I’ve posted this before - I don’t rate St Andrews as being a great golf course. In my opinion, the Par 3s aren’t memorable, nor are the Par 5s. The 1st & 18th, and the 17th, allied to where those holes are in relation to the town are its highlights. I’ve played it once, and never felt a desire to play it again. It’s about the history though, the fact it is in the town, and it isn’t just a ‘grip it and rip it’ modern course.

In my humble opinion, Kingsbarns is a course I’ve played only once, but would love to play it again. Given the choice of a freebie though, I’d actually choose the Old Course. Just for the experience again of walking down that first, and back up that 18th.

Just as an aside, I’ve spoken to three different club pros’ who all told me they played Trump up in Aberdeen, and said it is by far, the best course they’ve ever played. Stunning in every way, bar the owner’s name. I also once played a round at Gleneagles and was paired up with an American guy who had played Augusta National. That’s another story for another day. We’ll all have a couple of ‘golf stories’ to tell, and meeting that bloke and hearing his amazing stories gave me one of my two ‘genuine golf stories’ moments. 😀

Edited by pozbaird

25 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

emoji23.png was just coming on to post that. It’s my wee brother, who I was sitting next to. Fucking brilliant. He also caught Shane Lowry’s at 10. I missed that one, but did see his one at 9, and Finau’s earlier in the day.

Your wee bro is getting some amount of retweets absolutely cracking video

10 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

It isn’t fit for the modern game, which is exactly why it is a great venue for the Open. If it was fit for the modern game then they would make the Par 3s 250 yards long, the Par 4s 550 yards long, and the Par 5s 950 yards long. They’d then deliberately engineer one Par 4 that could be hit from the tee.

St Andrews is great because these modern big hitting pros have to think a bit more. What St Andrews needs is a bit of wind to spice it up, but the weather has been pretty calm. Personally, I’d rather watch the Open in warm sunshine and burnt fairways, rather than pishing rain and/or gale force winds. I’m hoping for a Nicklaus / Watson ‘Duel in the Sun’ today between McIlroy and Hovland.

Incidentally, and I’ve posted this before - I don’t rate St Andrews as being a great golf course. In my opinion, the Par 3s aren’t memorable, nor are the Par 5s. The 1st & 18th, and the 17th, allied to where those holes are in relation to the town are its highlights. I’ve played it once, and never felt a desire to play it again. It’s about the history though, the fact it is in the town, and it isn’t just a ‘grip it and rip it’ modern course.

In my humble opinion, Kingsbarns is a course I’ve played only once, but would love to play it again. Given the choice of a freebie though, I’d actually choose the Old Course. Just for the experience again of walking down that first, and back up that 18th.

Just as an aside, I’ve spoken to three different club pros’ who all told me they played Trump up in Aberdeen, and said it is by far, the best course they’ve ever played. Stunning in every way, bar the owner’s name. I also once played a round at Gleneagles and was paired up with an American guy who had played Augusta National. That’s another story for another day. We’ll all have a couple of ‘golf stories’ to tell, and meeting that bloke and hearing his amazing stories gave me one of my two ‘genuine golf stories’ moments. 😀

Good post, though what you say about making them think is true of all links courses. That's the beauty of links. Absolutely I prefer firm and fast dried out links too, but if that's the case St Andrews really needs a strong wind. The other courses on the rota less so as they have more challenging layouts.

Kingsbarns I love, however it's very artificial. Magnificent though and beautiful. But it's a bit fake and tries to help you play the course which I don't like.

I played Trump Aberdeen once, friend won a four-ball. It's good but like a lot of new courses, very similar to the castle and Dumbarnie, is just trying far too hard with far too much going on. Greens with four tiers etc. It's got all the bells and whistles but lacks subtlety. Will never host big tournaments as there's no room for fans and the clubhouse is tiny etc.

People in the know would tell you the three best courses in Scotland are Turnberry, Muirfield and Carnoustie. In what order is down to personal preference. All classics of golf course design. Just masterpieces.

14 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Good post, though what you say about making them think is true of all links courses. That's the beauty of links. Absolutely I prefer firm and fast dried out links too, but if that's the case St Andrews really needs a strong wind. The other courses on the rota less so as they have more challenging layouts.

Kingsbarns I love, however it's very artificial. Magnificent though and beautiful. But it's a bit fake and tries to help you play the course which I don't like.

I played Trump Aberdeen once, friend won a four-ball. It's good but like a lot of new courses, very similar to the castle and Dumbarnie, is just trying far too hard with far too much going on. Greens with four tiers etc. It's got all the bells and whistles but lacks subtlety. Will never host big tournaments as there's no room for fans and the clubhouse is tiny etc.

People in the know would tell you the three best courses in Scotland are Turnberry, Muirfield and Carnoustie. In what order is down to personal preference. All classics of golf course design. Just masterpieces.

Entirely down to personal preference, but if three professionals all told me Trump was the best, then I give their opinion some value. The best two courses I’ve played recently (that are affordable in a normal way), are Pitreavie in Dunfermline, and East Kilbride GC. Last year I played Elderslie GC in a seniors open, and it was in magnificent condition. The first nine was great, but there’s a Par 4 on the back nine that is just an uphill slog, and there’s long Par 3s with a driveable Par 4 - makes play slow as a week in jail. If I could play Elderslie’s front nine twice, it would be up there amongst my ‘normal course’ favourites. 😀

Edited by pozbaird

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Justin Thomas thru 6 holes:

Bogey, birdie, par, bogey, eagle, birdie.

I can mind looking at a fellow member's medal card some years ago which went :

7, 7, 7, 7, 11, 7,

I ventured to ask what happened at the 5th.

"I'm not a fucking machine you know", was the reply.

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Entirely down to personal preference, but if three professionals all told me Trump was the best, then I give their opinion some value. The best two courses I’ve played recently (that are affordable in a normal way), are Pitreavie in Dunfermline, and East Kilbride GC. Last year I played Elderslie GC in a seniors open, and it was in magnificent condition. The first nine was great, but there’s a Par 4 on the back nine that is just an uphill slog, and there’s long Par 3s with a driveable Par 4 - makes play slow as a week in jail. If I could play Elderslie’s front nine twice, it would be up there amongst my ‘normal course’ favourites. 😀

Fair enough. I've met hundreds of pros of every level and those three are the three they talk about. Also Dornoch gets good press. But fair enough I'm not positioned to police your opinion.

Never played either of those but Pitreavie I've been meaning to get to for a while just not got round to it.

Also Lundin is good, well worth a visit. Leven next door too.

I don't know where you live but I played a course in Glasgow once called East Renfrew and it was excellent. Would highly recommend. Very friendly too.