Golfers Thread

Gaz

54 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Would love someone around -8, -9 to absolutely kick the back door in with a 61 or 62 to make it really interesting.

That’d maybe be a Fleetwood (got him at 35/1) or Speith (18s) then?  

Suits me boss, make it happen! 

20 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I fucking love golf. Me, my brother and my dad went out to play Balfron today for my brothers birthday, a course I love playing. My brother has played 2 rounds of golf in his life and shot 75 through the front 9 today, 68 on the way back, I shot a 92 and my dad shot a (piss poor by his standards) 96, yet every one of us had a brilliant day and never stopped smiling. We headed for a meal with the rest of the family then came home to watch the final few groups finish at the Open and we're all absolutely buzzing. It feels special, it feels big and tomorrow is going to be great. I think golf is one of the best things people can do for their mental health and today just hammered it home for me. Steamin' on dopamine. And pints tbf. 

I went out last night, absolutely knackered from a week of work (and going to The Open, but that’s just as knackering tbh) and feeling pretty rough. Out for 18 on my own in the night time sun, shot 82 for one of my best rounds ever (was 3 over through 9 and on the verge of exploding in my boxers). Went from feeling a bit shite and tired, to fucking buzzing. 

Golf is the greatest sport in the world.

No it was a shambles then. The rough was far too bad. To this day I don't know if it was fertilised or not. Have heard quite a few people who should be on the know say it was and also wasn't so don't know. Crap open but great for Carnoustie.
In all honesty I've not seen much golf this week very busy just watched a bit of the highlights at night. Will manage to see a bit more today. 
I don't mean to take away from anyone's enjoyment. We're like St Andrews nasty little brother and the only people in the world who grow up with contempt for the old course as our course is so much better. Hope you enjoy your days viewing. 

Dad caddied at Carnoustie for a long time- has utter contempt for the Old Course - he describes it as a pitch and putt course with 3 good holes - you'll know which 3 he means.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Dad caddied at Carnoustie for a long time- has utter contempt for the Old Course - he describes it as a pitch and putt course with 3 good holes - you'll know which 3 he means.

Your dad sounds like a very bitter man.

Stick me down for a golf is magic! Our visitors comp today, i went par, birdie, Eagle, at the turn as a 20 handicapper this is the stuff of dreams, after driving the green on a par 4 and single putting I then proceeded to send my next T shot out of bounds and racked up an 8! But I'll never top to two 2s in a row as long as I play golf!!! 

9 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You realise what you've started there, right? 😂

However I agree that Carnoustie is overrated. There are several absolutely tremendous holes but a few completely non-descript holes, especially around the turn which could be lifted from virtually any link municipal course in the UK. I've been fortunate enough to play both Carnoustie and Panmure a week or so before the open/open qualifying in various years and I've always enjoyed Panny more. I've also played Carnoustie when the rough's cut down and dry and as long as you can avoid the bunkers you could pretty much smash a driver anywhere. 16/17/18 though are a magnificent set of finishing holes tbf. 

Also worth noting that if your old man caddied Carnoustie in the late 70s through to the mid 80s, Carnoustie in those days was a poorly maintained cowp with frequently fucking awful greens. The work done to get it back on the Open rota was pretty impressive. 

2 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

However I agree that Carnoustie is overrated. There are several absolutely tremendous holes but a few completely non-descript holes, especially around the turn which could be lifted from virtually any link municipal course in the UK. I've been fortunate enough to play both Carnoustie and Panmure a week or so before the open/open qualifying in various years and I've always enjoyed Panny more. I've also played Carnoustie when the rough's cut down and dry and as long as you can avoid the bunkers you could pretty much smash a driver anywhere. 16/17/18 though are a magnificent set of finishing holes tbf. 

Also worth noting that if your old man caddied Carnoustie in the late 70s through to the mid 80s, Carnoustie in those days was a poorly maintained cowp with frequently fucking awful greens. The work done to get it back on the Open rota was pretty impressive. 

Either I have misunderstood him or you have. I took it that he was meaning The Old Course rather than Carnoustie, and his dad was agreeing with Pep.

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Either I have misunderstood him or you have. I took it that he was meaning The Old Course rather than Carnoustie, and his dad was agreeing with Pep.

I have, I didn't read his post properly 

It's too early clearly 😂

10 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Is literally everyone connected to Carnoustie an absolute seething mess when it comes to The Old Course ?

The jealousy is unreal from these types. It’s a bit weird because you don’t seem to get it from people at Troon, Muirfield etc. 

9 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I honestly don't, would say 11 that's a genuinely good par 3, and probably 17. Outside of that I'm struggling, suppose 18 cause the last hole is all caddies favourite as they're finished after that. 

People say the same of pebble beach btw, apparently five good holes the rest very forgettable. Spyglass regarded as better and Cypress better than both but you can't play there unless a member signs you on.

9 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Your dad sounds like a very bitter man.

No he just isn't blinded by all the twee shite surrounding St Andrews. If you actually judge it objectively just as a golf course it's pretty meh and that's being fairly kind.

Matt Fitzpatrick, you've heard of him yeah, was asked this week if the old course was fit for the modern game. His answer - "Not really". 

I quite enjoyed watching yesterday too but it isn't a good golf course, that's undeniably true. Hugely underwhelming.

28 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Obviously on the wind up. 9 and 10 are two of the strongest par 4s in the world. 

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

The reigning US open champion said it isn't fit for the modern game mate. I mean how much more confirmation do you want?

I couldn’t really give a flying f**k what the current US Open champion thinks of it tbh. Tiger Woods claims it’s hands down his favourite course, I’m more interested in what he thinks about it than Matt Fitzpatrick tbh, and even at that I’m quite happy to form my own judgement. I’m not some Old Course fan boy, I don’t think anyone is. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the golf being played there this week and in the past  and thoroughly enjoyed my day out there on Thursday. Any time I have visited St Andrews in the past I love being around the town and the course, I like to see people getting excited at being there and having a chance to play on the course. I think you need to accept that people don’t really give that much of a shit about the intricate technical details of every golf course or every hole. It’s hosting a superb tournament and it has historical value. People like it for what it is, despite you somehow believing that everyone is just blinded by some marketing ploy simply because you hold a grudge against it.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I couldn’t really give a flying f**k what the current US Open champion thinks of it tbh. Tiger Woods claims it’s hands down his favourite course, I’m more interested in what he thinks about it than Matt Fitzpatrick tbh, and even at that I’m quite happy to form my own judgement. I’m not some Old Course fan boy, I don’t think anyone is. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the golf being played there this week and in the past  and thoroughly enjoyed my day out there on Thursday. Any time I have visited St Andrews in the past I love being around the town and the course, I like to see people getting excited at being there and having a chance to play on the course. I think you need to accept that people don’t really give that much of a shit about the intricate technical details of every golf course or every hole. It’s hosting a superb tournament and it has historical value. People like it for what it is, despite you somehow believing that everyone is just blinded by some marketing ploy simply because you hold a grudge against it.

That says it all, and Fitzpatrick would probably change his tune if he was lucky enough to win today!