Golfers Thread

Gaz

12 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Going forward it might just be Riviera, Augusta, The Open and maybe one more for him for the next few years.

No reason to think he won't be back at St Andrews at least once more. He's 46 and previous champions can play in the open until they're 60. He can play the masters and USPGA every year for the rest of his life if he likes.

Edited by Donathan

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

No reason to think he won't be back at St Andrews at least once more. He's 46 and previous champions can play in the open until they're 60. He can play the masters and USPGA every year for the rest of his life if he likes.

Possibly. He's a winner though and is probably unlikely to play if he feels he's just there to make up the numbers and not actually compete.

1 minute ago, Raidernation said:

f**k! 240+ yards off the tee with an iron. This is not the game I played

It’s a completely different sport from what I play. A few years ago I played in a Pro-Am at Buchanan Castle GC, and the pro we were playing with was a club pro from a course up Aberdeen way. Without Googling, his name completely escapes me at present. In his younger days he had come up in the ‘Justin Rose - Luke Donald’ era. A bad injury put paid to him achieving their career path. Anyhow, he had qualified for the BMW event at Wentworth and after Buchanan Castle, was driving South to play in that event. I was marking his card, and on the ninth at Buchanan Castle, he missed a three footer to be out in 29 strokes. It was just a different game he was playing, in every aspect. 
Goodness only knows what an 11 handicap club golfer like me would look like playing alongside McIlroy, Scheffler, or Morikawa etc.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

It’s a completely different sport from what I play. A few years ago I played in a Pro-Am at Buchanan Castle GC, and the pro we were playing with was a club pro from a course up Aberdeen way. Without Googling, his name completely escapes me at present. In his younger days he had come up in the ‘Justin Rose - Luke Donald’ era. A bad injury put paid to him achieving their career path. Anyhow, he had qualified for the BMW event at Wentworth and after Buchanan Castle, was driving South to play in that event. I was marking his card, and on the ninth at Buchanan Castle, he missed a three footer to be out in 29 strokes. It was just a different game he was playing, in every aspect. 
Goodness only knows what an 11 handicap club golfer like me would look like playing alongside McIlroy, Scheffler, or Morikawa etc.

There's been an article or two in golf mags down the years where a 10 handicapper or so has played a PGA level set up of the same tees. I think they've generally struggled to break 100

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

There's been an article or two in golf mags down the years where a 10 handicapper or so has played a PGA level set up of the same tees. I think they've generally struggled to break 100

….and if we were playing a PGA level set up with tournament crowds and grandstands, we wouldn’t break 100 - because we’d have clarted our nappies on the first tee. 😄

When Scheffler gets interviewed after his round he comes across well. I know he gets a bit of stick on here for being ‘Mr Dull’, but can someone fill me in - is he generally regarded as being in the ‘good guy’ camp, or the ‘Patrick Reed / Keegan Bradley w****r’ camp?

When Scheffler gets interviewed after his round he comes across well. I know he gets a bit of stick on here for being ‘Mr Dull’, but can someone fill me in - is he generally regarded as being in the ‘good guy’ camp, or the ‘Patrick Reed / Keegan Bradley w****r’ camp?
I don't mind him, mainly as he's won me over 200 quid this year. He's not the most charismatic but he interviews better than plenty of others, Cantlay is one of the worst imo.

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

Trying to scam a free drop out of that emoji1787.png

I think his general point is fair, if that was any other type of bush.

He did admit he's never hit out of a gorse bush before, and he seems to have accepted the referees saying "You're a fucking brilliant golfer, but no chance you're moving that with a full swing", so it's all fair enough, I reckon