Golfers Thread

Gaz

What's the weather forecast for the next few days? Certainly the scoring seems to have calmed down rather than the predictions of being silly. Wouldnt mind seeing a good stiff breeze the next two days to bunch them up then a shootout on Sunday

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Not a fan of this rule of picking up from the bunker at a 2 shot penalty. Where's the fun in that?

I've thought for a long time when in a greenside bunker you should be allowed (using your skill and judgement) to pick the ball up and see how close to the pin you can throw it. Without penalty of course.

That was a tough watch, can’t help but feel the double on 1 just massively fucked Tigers mindset which would’ve been feeling huge pressure already. Hoping for an absolute miracle tomorrow for him to make the cut. 
Commentators sticking with the "if anyone can do it" chat but he looks utterly fucked.

Playing 18 tomorrow is as much as can be hoped for him. No way is there a score in that man's body atm.

Granted I only watched the end of his round, but he seems resigned that unless he can find a way to get his body in a better condition that this is the end of the road for him.

Also the less Cutting about in a hoody at the open is fantastic behaviour, carried off better by some over others tho

Edited by parsforlife

Tiger should pause on the Swilken Bridge tomorrow and wave goodbye. Walk off and call it a day after making it to the 150th Open at the home of golf. To come back and even play at all was an achievement. Before flying home, he could fit in a round at Carnoustie - a much better course than this piece of embarrasing shite that everyone is ripping to pieces. No, hold on, only one Yank did. Oh well.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Tiger should pause on the Swilken Bridge tomorrow and wave goodbye. Walk off and call it a day after making it to the 150th Open at the home of golf. To come back and even play at all was an achievement. Before flying home, he could fit in a round at Carnoustie - a much better course than this piece of embarrasing shite that everyone is ripping to pieces. No, hold on, only one Yank did. Oh well.

Missed that who ripped it to pieces?

I've thought for a long time when in a greenside bunker you should be allowed (using your skill and judgement) to pick the ball up and see how close to the pin you can throw it. Without penalty of course.
No, I think you should have to play it, bit if you can catch it on the full you can then throw it. As demonstrated by Justin Rose here.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

What's the weather forecast for the next few days? Certainly the scoring seems to have calmed down rather than the predictions of being silly. Wouldnt mind seeing a good stiff breeze the next two days to bunch them up then a shootout on Sunday

Some rain overnight and tomorrow and not a huge amount of wind. You'd think that will make scoring a bit easier. 

Dry over the weekend and with the wind back at similar strength today but from a different direction. Hopefully that makes the weekend a bit more challenging. *

* Disclaimer - based on the forecast for the KY1 postcode area. 

5 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:
7 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:
Yes mate. But the course has been closed for three and a half weeks before it. So they lose a shit ton of money. You make a loss to hold the open. You make it back in future by attracting more tourists, but St Andrews gets them anyway.

The course being closed for three weeks would lose them in the region of a million quid. They will have generated 5 times that in ticket sales for today alone. There is absolutely not a fucking chance they are losing money on this. I mean they are charging between £50-£250 a night to stay in a tent in front of the hotel ffs.

Look mate I know what I'm talking about. Ten hours of tee times. Sux tee times an hour. Sixty tee times. 240 golfers. Times 300 quid.

And the hotels, pubs, restaurants in the area also are significantly quieter in that time. 

So 240 x 300 is what seventy grand per day. Plus this week. So it's 28 days (the 25 days it's closed minus the three Sundays as the old course is closed on a Sunday) times just over seventy grand. So the old course on its own loses about two million just in green fees alone. Not including what is spent on merchandise etc.

And here's the real pisser. You're going on about how much it costs to get in etc. As you don't have ta clue what you're talking about. That money doesn't go to the old course mate. That goes to the r and a.

A host venue gets paid a fee by the r and a to host it, which comes nowhere near covering what they lose. Not even close. It's like in the hundreds of thousands if that. I know the people involved with this at Carnoustie very well.

So you definitely 100% without question lose money to host the open. Definitely, without any doubt. But it guarantees you're busy for the next ten years so you finish up in the end anyway.